Home

Server Crash prob

rickard64

madrebel:

Believe it or not, but there are ***holes out there that take great pleasure on ruining other peoples' fun. I ran a Quake 3 server on a work box for a qhile and was hit with the 1.29 Q3 bug as well.

My jk2 server died 3 times this morning... and countless number of times over the last 2 or 3 days. Seems to me that it's the same thing happening. I guess I could stop being lazy and tcpdumping and seeing what's going on.

Well.. We all started having crashes when we started playing the server configs...

Well.. The "opStack" thingy happens when you g_dismember 100. When I set it back to 0, it runs sweet.

I read about the Opstack something bug on some Q3 site and they said it's about models rendering or something so it fits to the fact it crashed when I killed someone with a saber :)

so try it...

Ok I have read all about the 129 bugs and I'm also from the old q3 and q2 server admin days myself and reading threw this thread all I have is 1 Question What is JKII outcast based on 129 g/h or 131? if it's 131 this thread is meaningless cause that bug was eradicated with the release of 131 but If it's got the 129g/h coding then yeah people would screw with it just to be ***holes I think there called Hackers? (sarcasticly) hackers main job is to see how many people they can screw up in a days time so again I ask, Raven what did you code Jo with and if it's based with 129 when will you patch it for us??

Will disabling logging cure this prob?

I'm having EXACTLY the same trouble as you guys.

Running 8 servers at Jolt in the UK, linux dedicated OC3 on very high spec machines.

Had no probs 1st day or two, but now its sheer hell :(

Is this a variation on q30wnerz matrixCPA?

I'd be very grateful if you could email me this nasty prog so I can see for myself-

gonkster@jolt.co.uk

or simply mail me any more info?

Also, did someone else on the forums here say they had a cron job for jk2? :)

Can't seem to find the thread

Gonkster

Jolt Administrator

http://www.jolt.co.uk

Yes, it's basically the "next thing" after that. And sorry, I won't distribute the prog or details about how to perform the exploit. Since there's nothing in particular that can be done about it without a patch, it's just as well that we wait. Nothing personal.

Originally posted by [GSI]STEM

i think it could either way or a combination of both... the times r00d has corresponds to the time my server was segfaulting, so something was going on, malicious or not...

server stats: http://stem2.gamespy.com/jk2/ (times are in PST)

/stem

Could be the same guy going on a malicious crash-rampage right down the list of available servers...?

-r00d

Add me to the list...

I can't keep my Linux server up more than 5 minutes :mad:

Too bad the source wasn't released with the binaries. Maybe we could have put our heads together and patched it up. Ah well, guess all we can do is wait :(

Auto

Between the one line of piped exploit code and a list of servers you could take every one of the servers within seconds. The exploit is not complicated at all. I bet there is some pecker with a cron job running it every 10 minutes with a master server list refresh in between. I am thinking raven did not bother with multiplayer much at all, just implement and ship, no testing, no patching KNOWN EXPLOITS in the game engine you are using. Sigh.

look, to say someone can crash a server...yeah ok.

to say a person would over and over crash a server without provocation = no. I know hackers, some of the best in the world i work in security for pete's sake. But to randomly and repeatedly DoS a video game server is not what hackers do. Script kiddies get bored as well. My servers are unstable, i do not think someone is DoS attacking them for the sheer fact that its to gawd damned random. A DoS attack isnt usually random. What would be the point of crashing a game server?

oh wow guys im l33t i crashed a game server. big deal, the only people who do that **** are people who have been kicked off or banned from a server.

People dont just randomly and repeatedly attack servers im sorry but youre wrong.

Its just a bug, wtf name 1 good online game based on the q3 engine that hasnt had 1 patch to fix a crash bug.

thank you............

I don't contend that every time a jk2 server crashes it's some punk using the exploit. However, if the seg fault looks the same over and over...it's a pretty good sign. Until a patch to fix the exploit is released, it'll be hard for people to focus on troubleshooting the other problems.

Originally posted by madrebel

look, to say someone can crash a server...yeah ok.

to say a person would over and over crash a server without provocation = no. I know hackers, some of the best in the world i work in security for pete's sake. But to randomly and repeatedly DoS a video game server is not what hackers do. Script kiddies get bored as well. My servers are unstable, i do not think someone is DoS attacking them for the sheer fact that its to gawd damned random. A DoS attack isnt usually random. What would be the point of crashing a game server?

oh wow guys im l33t i crashed a game server. big deal, the only people who do that **** are people who have been kicked off or banned from a server.

People dont just randomly and repeatedly attack servers im sorry but youre wrong.

Its just a bug, wtf name 1 good online game based on the q3 engine that hasnt had 1 patch to fix a crash bug.

thank you............

Erm, I don't know where you've been for the last 8 years, but ever since the conception of script kiddies people do crash something repeatedly for no reason. They don't have to be banned or angry at the hoster. They just have to find a neat util someone else wrote that crashes something. How do you explain all the lame worms these days?

Script kiddies do it because it makes them feel powerful to know they can crash any server at will. They do it for fun. They do it because they like to watch everybody whine that their favorite server is down. I'm sure there's plenty of script kiddies that run the nuke-o-server script down the list of servers that are currently displayed on their screen. Some may even scroll the list to get more servers.

xal

Its not a denial of service attack its just a small packet of info that causes the server to crash.

I do know about the 129 q3 crash util, I'm amazed JK2 is using the same code as 129 q3, then again id haven't released the 131 source code, I guess they're not even sharing it with Raven?

"opStack corrupted in compiled code"

Guys... set g_dismember "0"

It started (and happend all the time) when I set it to g_dismember "1"..

"

*** opStack corrupted in compiled code ***

The following is an example of code that causes the problem (from my own coding work):

static void PlayerInfo_SetAnimation( modelAnim_t* m)

{

m->playerChat = qfalse;

switch( m->anim ) {

case ANIM_CHAT:

m->playerChat = qtrue;

// fallthrough;

case ANIM_IDLE:

m->playerLegs = LEGS_IDLE;

m->playerTorso = TORSO_STAND;

m->playerWeapon = -1;

break;

case ANIM_RUN:

m->playerLegs = LEGS_RUN;

break;

Simply eliminating the fallthrough to the next case statement (by duplicating the code and adding a break) will cure the problem.

"

Obviously it does have connection since dismembering changes model states and stuff like that...

Just try.

Originally posted by Gonkster

Its not a denial of service attack its just a small packet of info that causes the server to crash.

I do know about the 129 q3 crash util, I'm amazed JK2 is using the same code as 129 q3, then again id haven't released the 131 source code, I guess they're not even sharing it with Raven?

huh? any attack that DENYS SERVICE is a denial of service attack. this isnt a root hack. they arent trying to gain access to the server machine. they, IF it is actually an attack, are just trying to crash one service on a machine.

but this isnt a conspiracy to crash all the servers. its a ****ing crash bug.

Originally posted by Gonkster

A DoS attempt in my book..is sending shedloads of packets to flood an ip.

I guess you could call any hack attempt a DoS attack if you consider it a denial of service.

that is a type of DoS yes but its not the only type of DoS. No every type of attack could not be considered a DoS. If your goal is to gain root access and use the box for something malicious then how is that a DoS? Nothing has been denied.

a denial of service is just that, a DENIAL of service. I suppose you could sorta consider a website defacement as a DoS too.

Let's worry less about classification and more about the particulars of a fix eh?

I don't care what's causing the seemingly random instabilities - be it malicious or programming faults - I just want it fixed. Now.

This "unsupported" dedicated server garbage seems like a cop-out to me. Take ownership of your product and make it right kplzthx.

-h

Originally posted by [TL] Dr. Who

well my server has been up now with out any problems for 28 hours

w00t!

the only thing i changed in my cfg's was

seta g_dismember 0

i had it on 1 or 100

now every thing seems fine

Just wait.

I've had g_dismember set to 0 for a long time. Server still crashes regularly. 35 hours is about my record for uptime.

I've used g_dismember 0 also, still seems to crash though. :rolleyes:

Only thing I've noticed is that the CTF servers seem more stable than the FFA ones.

If it was sabre use dismembering peeps I'd expect to see the duel servers go down more often but it doesn't seem to be the case...

Then again, it is possible for ppl on the FFA servers to have private duels.

It's a first version for linux so I guess it just needs patching.

Somebody in this forum said they posted up a cron job for jk2 btw?

hi

well i have a JK2 server runing on linux (turbo linux) as a LAN only PC and my server crashs with the message

ERROR: opStack corrupted in compiled code

----- Server Shutdown -----

==== ShutdownGame ====

ShutdownGame:

------------------------------------------------------------

AAS shutdown.

---------------------------

DROPPED

restart it as soon as i start to play onit down it comes allways the same error message

it will run fine all day with bots playing away killing each other.

just fort i let u know this is hapending with LAN server as well.

lets hope someone can fix this problem for us lot :)

thx

kudos

YES!!!! If you guys have the g_dismember set to "1" it will crash you out even Raven has said NOT to use this because it is unstable I had mine set to "1" and I was crashing every min-5 min with the SAME error code.. I set it to "0" and now once in a while the server will go down but there is no error code at all (i suspect this is because the master server (jk2master) goes down so get in your CFG files and change seta g_dismember "1" to seta g_dismember "0"

See if that fixes your problem..

Archived