Home

Light-side force power setup, tell me what you think.

Jaif

My goal is to gun people down. Sadly, I'm actually a rather poor marksman, but I'm otherwise competant at standard FPS stuff (map-knowledge, manuevering, etc). Anyway, I made this setup with a couple thoughts in mind:

1) I want to find & kill people (ffa or team ffa)

2) I don't want to worry about a zillion force powers.

What I do is this (best recollection): jump, push, seeing, absorb, heal, LS defense all maxed. LS offense is 1. There may be a few points leftover somewhere, but I don't use those in-game.

I have seeing, absorb, and push (especially) all hot-keyed and handy. (I won't bother w/how, everyone has different setups and tastes). I use z to find heal, and then have heal bound to f for the duration of the game.

Now I run around with the blaster (favorite), or other weapons as needed. Seeing helps me find people, and avoid obvious traps. Absorb to cancel the drainers, grippers, pullers (my weapon, damn it!). Push is the emergency button (too many, knock'em over and blow'em away or run). Heal I only remember to use out-of-combat anyway.

Basically, I look for people, toggling seeing as needed. When I find someone, I bulldog them, turning on absorb as I attack (hopefully, they react w/a force power right after I attack, not seeing the blue). Once I get a kill, run and heal (seeing to find a safer spot), rinse, and repeat.

For grins & giggles, I occasionally pull out the sniper on open levels (Bespin), and get a couple cheap shots in. Let'em come up and get me. :-)

-Jeff

Sounds like a good strategy, although a good saberer is hard to stop by any means.

If you're the run&gun type, I suggest leaving your saber force powers empty and max out the force powers you prefer.

That way you can push, pull, etc. from a safer distance.

And saber defense is only good if your using a saber.(right?)

:D

Saber's how I get out of tough spots, especially when I'm on a team and can find some buddies.

Basically, with saber, absorb, and push, I'm almost invulnerable (skill & luck dependant) while the force points last. So, guns to kill, saber to protect.

What I want to see now is a winning bowcaster strategy. :-)

-Jeff

I haven't played w/mind trick yet, going to have to one of these days.

I tried my setup online a bunch today, and it works fine. The keys are

- having absorb & push easily accessible so you can respond in an instant.

- remembering to heal later

- using seeing liberally. Knowledge is power, e.g. don't run into the big room in the center of the death star if you see 3 members of the other team inside and none of yours.

One thing I want to try next, but it's really not up my alley, is rage. A power that makes you shoot faster, move faster, take less damage, and has the minor effect of making you temporarilly immortal is might nice. Couple with drains to recover health, pull to get the people closer, and you're doing pretty nice, I think.

-Jeff

i'm mostly a run and gun person myself. i'm good at sabre but i feel the right guns are way more effective.

if you don't mind being cheap.... having drain handy is a good way to make sure other people aren't using force powers on you. plus it heals you.

i really dont' like to use drain though as its unbalanced in my opinion.

for a run and gunner i really think either absorb or drain is very important but also see and speed. see not only gives you wall hack it also makes you invincible to the sniper rifle. speed is important for running away and collecting ammo and weapons. you should really have speed if you run and gun.

as for rage, its really really good with some guns. if you are in a server with only a few people its even better. only thing is that you have to make sure you get the kill before it wears off or you will be pretty vunerable. find a safe place to hide while the after affect kicks in. what i like to do is use wall run to get to weird places that people don't usually look.

if i am on a server with guns i will use them when it helps, and same with the saber. in my opinion, the saber is uch more challenging to learn then the alt/repeater, or drain/grip. i use light side powers, and have all the important keys set as the big ones (kp enter = heal <- can hit with right or left, kp+= absorb, shift = push, space or / pull <-- space as pull is a panic button, if i am gripped over a ledge i like to pukll the cheapass with me ;) mouse scroll switches weaps, M3 = switch stance, kp0 = jump, kpDel = crouch, [ & ] switch items, enter uses items, thats about it :) ) it took me 2 weeks to get this mp scheme the way i like it, and i even ripped out the windows key to prevent accidental pushings. oh, alt = speed. it is interesting to see everyones configurations. personally, i like the butttons i need to be big and near to my hand. i would never survive using wasz, or anything similar. ive used basically this scheme (minus force powers) for every online game and fps i have ever played on the pc.

Deci.sw,

Good point about speed. To be honest, I've used absorb, seeing, and heal (in that order) much more than push. I may try substituting speed for push one of these days and seeing how well I do.

-Jeff

I'm a saber-only player and I've seen this tactic in action before. Here's how I handle it.

When you come in blasting with your rocket launcher/repeater alt fire/flechette alt fire, I jump straight up. All of those weapons are useless unless I'm on the ground. If you're close, and don't have Absorb on, I pull your weapon. If you're far, and don't have absorb on I'll either drain you, Mind Trick you, or force push your projectiles back at you.

If you did have absorb on, I do one or more of the following:

1. Push your projectiles back at you.

2. Duck-roll away from you and just dodge the very slow shots.

3. Throw my saber at you. Your projectiles blow up upon hitting my saber. This might blow them up in your face when the saber gets close enough.

4. Back off and wait for your absorb to run out.

5. Turn on force speed or dark rage and either high-tail it out of there or rush you.

6. Get close (#5) and flip-kick you to knock you down and follow it up with one of the coup-de-grace swings.

These all work 90% of the time for me. I think people who try to use guns are funny.

Originally posted by bantha274

Sounds like a good strategy, although a good saberer is hard to stop by any means.

If you're the run&gun type, I suggest leaving your saber force powers empty and max out the force powers you prefer.

That way you can push, pull, etc. from a safer distance.

And saber defense is only good if your using a saber.(right?)

:D

They dont call it jedi knight because of the guns. Only cowards fight with guns. A jedi cant block a missile or anything like that. The only thing a helpless jedi could do is use force powers but when ur light like me u kinda need help.

Atifex,

You sound like one of the better saber-people, who counters rather than complains. I almost never run into a good saber person, but when I do it's a good fight (I haven't kept tabs on numbers, I just know it's been fair.) Oh, and I use the saber too, so don't get too cocky. There's a whole thread about psyching people out, so I won't go on. :-)

I generally don't use the alt-fire area-attacks from a distance against an aware opponent. Most of the time, I just use the crude, inaccurate blaster, and I try to blind-side them with force-seeing.

My favorite, though, is when people drain when we're facing each other. I hit absorb and shoot, their hand's outstretched and so they're utterly defensless, especially given the little grace period after using some force powers.

You don't sound like you're prone to the latter, but I thought I'd mention it to people who think drain's everything and more. :-)

-Jeff

• 3 weeks later...
Chester-They dont call it jedi knight because of the guns. Only cowards fight with guns. A jedi cant block a missile or anything like that. The only thing a helpless jedi could do is use force powers but when ur light like me u kinda need help.

Who invited this moron to come in and bitch. We were having an intelligent discussion and this damn saberist comes in and starts bitching. I would respect the saberist croud as a whole if they didn't think they were so self-rightous and better than those of us who love our guns.

Anyhoo rant over.

I also use the force setup of Push, Absorb, Seeing, Speed, Heal, and Jump. I have found it to be a winning combination and it really has gotten me out of some sticky situations. The only time I put ANY points into the saber skills is whether or not I know for a fact I can get to a weapon fast, or if everyone esle is using guns or guns+saber, then I tend to crank the saber skills. Otherwise screw it. At least until I can get good with the saber. The bots are still kicking my ass.

saberists who like fighting with "honour" and not using guns are ok. the ones that bitch when someone else uses a gun and calls them a coward and lamer etc are just idiots.

when i see 3 of the enemy team's players just bunched up, i cant seem to resist reaching over and hitting 6, then repeatedly clicking my right mouse button until im dead hehe, but i do use the saber the majority of the time.

as for force powers, well i have 2 setups, configured by pressing F1 and F2. in both setups i have speed bound to z, seeing to x, push to mwheelup, pull to mwheeldown, and change saber stance to r. for my dark config, i have e as lightning, f as drain, q as rage, mouse3 as grip, and backspace as teamforcepower or whatever it it :) for light i have e for protect, f for absorb, q for heal, mouse3 for mindtrick, and backspace for teamheal.

i use the wasd keys for movement, space bar for jump, both c and ctrl for duck, depending on whether im crouching (ctrl), or rolling (tap c). i dont use alt, and shift is bound to walk, although i dont use it either hehe :) cycling force powers are "," and "." and "/" to use the power, although i dont use these very often.

it's a good setup for me, especially with the mouse wheel for push/pull :)

I pretty much do the same things Artifex does.

In a 1 v 1 fight, I would pretty much own the gunner about 75% of the time. Even with his rocket launchers and alt fire strategy.

But its the 2 v 1 fight that i have trouble. Two gunners with alt fire in a cramped space (not in open space) and you are pretty much dead unless you run away.

Archived