Home

LAN problem

Absath

ok i have jk2 networked between my two computers for some head to head goodness. either comp can run jk2 beautifully alone, but when i network, the server comp always runs fine, and the one right next to it gets a little choppy- mostly during jumps. the in third person view is bouncy. one comp is an athlon t-bird, one is a pentium 3. the problem only happens to the guest computer (not the server) . anyone else had this problem? fixed it? (and yes data rate is set to LAN/Cable on both computers when joining the server)

You never mentioned the speed of the network cards... I assume they are 100mb cards?

Perhaps these cards are getting out of date in terms of the speeds needed nowaday in gaming.

I hear there is now 1gig cards out now but they are really expensive. However if you could afford them they should help you considerably.

While its true that having a 100mbit card is definatly the way to go but for most people the inet is only a 10mbit connection having that on a lan wont hurt too bad with only a couple people. Usualy when my friends have a LAN party we go all out. My friend has a 30 port cisco switch that we use, heh, talk about bandwith between machines, its awsome for LAN play.

Originally posted by obijonkenobi

You never mentioned the speed of the network cards... I assume they are 100mb cards?

Perhaps these cards are getting out of date in terms of the speeds needed nowaday in gaming.

I hear there is now 1gig cards out now but they are really expensive. However if you could afford them they should help you considerably.

Dude the game runs on a 56K modem, a 10MB network is a dream for it. I seriously doubt he is using a full 10Mbit of bandwidth with its a 2 machine server, were it a full 16 set up, maybe the server is being choked.

If your playing and the server, make sure you turn down the requirements, if your system lags cus of framerate so does the other one.

Also try running it as a dedicated server and see if it still happens, if it does, then there is something wrong with your network.

First off, make sure that your network card drivers are installed correctly and updated. Next, check to make sure that both network card settings are set to Auto Detect for duplex and speed. If one of them is defined (i.e. 10Mbps Half and the other is 100Mbps Full, then you will have problems). It seems like a collision problem if you ask me. The server comp is generating the data so it will work fine. The client has to receive the data and process it, so that may be where your bottleneck is. The client has to receive all the packets and in order and if you have collisions, then the client-side comp will be slow and choppy. Especially if they run fine alone.

Archived