Home

Open Petition to Raven: Make MP like SP.

Solo4114

Should MP sabre combat be revised to mimic SP?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Should MP sabre combat be revised to mimic SP?

• Yes! Please make this change ASAP, o Great Development Lords at Raven.
    • Yes (sorry for duplication, but the board requires two options in a poll.)

Well, the title basically says it all. I just think it'd be helpful if Raven could see how many people actually want MP changed to mirror the style of SP. So, sign on if you want to see a change.

Feel free to post any opinions you want in this thread. But if you support changing MP to mimic SP in terms of lightsabre combat, please indicate as much in the poll.

Thanks!

i'm not sure of what you're attempting to imply . . . do you mean that there should be co-op missions and such?

this may be a good idea if it can be properly executed as an addition to the traditional ffa, ctf, and duels . . . though i can see it having a lot of problems.

maybe it will come with the expansion pack we're all hoping for.

:ewok:

I'm totally all for your proposal to make MP function like SP. In fact, if there's a flaw in this game then bad MP scripting is it.

The bots should be as aggressive and acrobatic as they are in SP (anyone notice how MP bots NEVER force jump, let alone do those crazy flips like the reborn do in SP. . . or taunt). Also the chances of saber lock should be increased for MP.

Hmmm...

I've heard a few people anxious for the SDK say that when it comes out the community will have the means to implement these changes.

As long it is bug free i don't care who makes it so.

The potential is there. Let's use it.

Let me clarify. I'm talking purely about sabre combat. Towards that end, bot behavior is a part of it. But that's only a small part. I'm talking especially about how collision detection works, graphical representation of those hits, animations for moves, and the general speed and intricacy that we saw in SP being ported over to MP.

I agree to a certain extent. I think the screen flash when sabers clash should be in muliplayer, as well as the awesome collision detection of the sabers. (It is absent in MP)

But think about it everyone. As great as Simgle Player is, don't you think that RAVEN made every attempt to match it all up in MP?

There are probably certain things in SP that just could not be implimented in MP. Maybe all that saber collision detection is too much data for even broad band connections.

The point is. I don't think that RAVEN "dumbed" down MP for no reason. I really believe that they would have implimented all that single player goodness into muliplayer if they could.

But hey if it was all b/c they had to release the game on time. Then I'm all for it 100% do it RAVEN!

I dont know how to say this with an appreciable amount of tact, so I'll just say it rather plainly.

Sabers in multiplayer is sort of like knives in counterstrike (permit me the analogy). Despite the pretty graphics, though not nearly as pretty as single player, it degrades rapidly into people jumping the pile swinging the strong stance. I have, for two days now, consistently topped servers without any effort whatsoever. This is mainly because, while other people are attempting to finesse the game, I can just jump,fire,fire with the red saber stance.

1) The hit detection is screwed (over simplified?).

2) Blocking is nonexistant.

Theres a problem here that isnt going to go away by itself, and while some players may be content to just continue to play the game as is, this kind of 'llama-ing' is going to hinder the creation of serious clans...and if you use TF and CS as two examples, the creation of clans significantly effects the longevity of a game.

Please, oh please, do something about this nonsense. (if its include the single player system, good. If it isnt, do something else.)

Btw, I ping about 40 to the servers I play on, so its definitely not a latency issue.

Since I've got this game Multiplayer has been very unstable. Constant Connection Interruption and Major Ping Spikes. I'm Running a Cable Net Connection and I dont get these problems on any of my other games that I play that are not Quaked Based(mainly because they all have been FIXED). I mean How hard is it to optimize the net code for a game? The q3 engine is slice diced and glued back togerther so many times you'd think they have the bugs fixed by now(And it's not.

Absolutely! I was extremely disappointed to discover the depth of sabre combat (and the cool dismemberment) was sorely lacking in multiplayer.

I love the SP saber fights, i can spend hours playing the Ladder level, why cant my fights with my friends be as detailed?

hehe i was just going to make a poll like this until i saw it :)

It really needs to be done, the saber attacks and player movements, bots, particle fx, hit detection etc. should be *exactly* as it is in single player. They took a whole lot of motions out of multiplayer for bandwidth consumtion i presume but having worse pings is better than dumbing it down i think...still, i bet the netcode could be optimized better.

Originally posted by the_redmedicine

i'm not sure of what you're attempting to imply . . . do you mean that there should be co-op missions and such?

this may be a good idea if it can be properly executed as an addition to the traditional ffa, ctf, and duels . . . though i can see it having a lot of problems.

maybe it will come with the expansion pack we're all hoping for.

:ewok:

You know what would be really sweet in a Jedi Knight based game... Co-op where one player out of every two is the Master, and one is the Apprentice, the Apprentice possibly having less force powers and skills available to them.

Especially for team Death Match in such a game, there were two Jedi, and two Sith... would make for an interesting battle between four people.

I agree, MP saber combat should be the same as SP, or at least, implemet more of the SP features. More blocking as well - make the game more tactical rather then a massive "whirly saber" fight.

Topping the board ain't too difficult - just find a group of saberists and start doing the <- or -> + attack around them. You will definitely get one or two kills

Originally posted by Sartori

Absolutely! I was extremely disappointed to discover the depth of sabre combat (and the cool dismemberment) was sorely lacking in multiplayer.

I love the SP saber fights, i can spend hours playing the Ladder level, why cant my fights with my friends be as detailed?

I don`t think Raven will address this problem... But more than likely a mod will be released once JO SDK is out . (whenever that is ? )

Raven IS aware of the problem. Whether they choose to act on it remains to be seen. As far as SDKs go, don't hold your breath. RTCW has been out for 6 months now (roughly) and only now is the community starting to hear that an SDK might be released soon. JO's SDK will take a while to be released, I predict.

... I'd like to see it as a mod, NOT as a replacement for the current MP (which is perfectly fine IMHO).

It would be a lot of work btw, considering all the changes that would have to be made to make SP like MP, it's not just a matter of the saber fight animations. For example, compare the way weapons, items, and force powers behave in SP vs. MP.. major differences!

YARRR MEEE MATETEee SHIVER MY SHIZAT i'd like to see Parts of the starwars serries redone in mp where people get to take on the parts of important and non important roles, and duke it out.. like for instance.. the battle of theed have objectives for each side.. ect

*wonders if anyone who wants these things understands bandwidth and internet connections*

The reason for the MP not being like SP is that the lag would more than likey triple if not more. What if one person wants flare and another didn't!? How would that affect a game!? There is a reason there aren't that many multiplayer options.

Live with it.

Contrary to your preconceptions, I have a great deal of knowledge regarding internet bandwith requirements and the way that game net code works.

A streamlined netcode would allow more of the complex calculations to be performed client side. And, as far as making mp like sp goes, the saber combat is WOEFULLY inadequate at the moment.

If that means incorporate some/all of the sp material to fix it, great. But what i'd like to see is a serious redress of some of the outstanding problems: red-stance or the movement, for example.

oh, and by the way lens flares and graphical effects have absolutely NO effect on 'lag' whatsoever, as they are completely client side calculations....so, go crawl back in whatever hole you crawled out of.

This poll is afraid of the truth - that's why they don't give you an option to keep the MP saber as it is.

Make a new poll if you want true results - with both yes and no.

I find the SP saber more simplistic and automatic than MP.

Why would I want MP to be more like SP?

If they do bother to change it, I hope they make a ruleset like g_spsaber and allow the rest of us (non-whiners) to keep playing on servers that choose to use the original MP style.

Archived