Home

If Dark Jedi have Drain...

RedHerring

...then the Light Jedi should have Meditation. It would be easily implementable, and it gives a viable solution to "drain *****s". It could replace Mind Trick or something. I think this idea has been already presented, but I still think its a good idea. Absorb, even if you hot key it, is still too slow to catch drain before they get anything off you, which after a while will slowly wear out your mana.

The only thing I can see for them not to put this in a patch is the balance issues. Since Light Jedi have Heal, Meditation should have lots of boundaries, like you have to stop completely for it to work in lvl 3, and then you'd have to crouch and it will take longer in lvl 2 and in lvl 1, you would have to stop attacking for 5 secs, crouch, then wait.

This has been my first rant, so don't be too harsh if you disagree.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best solution is to simply remove drain entirely from the game. If Dark Jedi can't have that power, replace it with something more destructive. Perhaps another Force Destruction without the immensive power and huge concussion that the one from JK had? Would make it less cheap.

Or maybe, make Destruction like how Jerec used it (or something like it) when he blasts Kyle onto the fueling ship. I dunno, but Drain is a such a *****. Yeah, you can counter it, but your mana is already half gone, and keeping Absorb on during a fight is just as bad.

Funny that the people who want Drain removed, downgraded from the game are the ones who defend Absorb to the last. Drain is in the game it won't get super nerfed, it may get downgraded abit but your gonna have to live with having someting that makes you lighsiders just a man with a saber, just like how Absorb makes the dark jedi just a man with a saber

Presonaly i think drain is cheap as well i play as a dark jedi and i dont use it ive tryed to use it but its a watse of force grip and lighting and dark rage are my powers that i favor drain is a cheap way to heal and mess around with the other player

Don't like drain? Kick on absorb and you can't be drained :)

Absorb won't give you any force energy back from a drain, but your force energy won't be drained either, other then the normal amout of force energy is costs to keep absorb up.

Absorb pretty much shuts drain down, so long as you can see the guy coming. Plus absorbing your way out of a grip will give you a big jump of force energy so you should have it anyway. You can go from just barely being able to turn it on to close to 75% force energy from someone trying to grip you :)

OOO

You guys have to really look at your mana when you play like that. Keeping Force Absorb on DOES drain your power, maybe not as quickly as Drain, but nevertheless it does. And by the end of the duel, your still empty, and probably dead, which is what matters.

Face it, Drain really IS cheap. It's not a huge problem, but it should be handled. It would already be done if Raven made an MP test and then listened to customer feedback to improve upon the game.

I don't find it "cheap" at all. For one... its how a dark Jedi heals himself with the Force. Two... there is a delay between the time that you use drain and are able to use another force power in which time the prey should at least get enough back to counter the grip that is usually coming.

I haven't had a problem with it yet. I find just about every force tactic has a viable counter.

Originally posted by Emon

You guys have to really look at your mana when you play like that. Keeping Force Absorb on DOES drain your power, maybe not as quickly as Drain, but nevertheless it does. And by the end of the duel, your still empty, and probably dead, which is what matters.

Face it, Drain really IS cheap. It's not a huge problem, but it should be handled. It would already be done if Raven made an MP test and then listened to customer feedback to improve upon the game.

A rough guess... 7 out of 10 duels, drain has not affected the outcome. If the guy was a good saberist, I lost. If I was better than him, I won. Whats funny is watching people draining you when you have no power. I also see a lot of Sithys forget about drain and not drain you for the rest of the match after one or two times. Usually happens when I get a couple of near hits.

I think people are over-exaggerating the problem. Yes, Absorb counters Drain, but Absorb slowly eats mana. Once Absorb dies, you have no mana to drain.. nothing missed. Right? So whats the point in putting up absorb? To allow protection of your limited force pool and allow you access to that in case you need it. Sometimes the guy will forget to drain you and you can usually sneak in some Protection if your knocked down and survive. And hopefully kill him. I recommend throwing absorb up after protection, because protection does not counter absorb.

I play a dark jedi, and I use Drain as a Denial tactic. You think I am going to let a light Jedi get his force back, so he can keep healing? NO, I am going to keep him drained. Does this make me a drain *****? No, I don't think so; I see it as a viable "denial of force" tactic =P

Same applies to when I am fighting another Dark Sider: Am I supposed to sit there and not drain, so he can Drain ME? Again, constantly draining him denies him the opportunity to the the same thing to me. It may be hypocritical but hey, its what works.

two things i hate about drain:

1. It happens so fast you cant possibly react fast enough to stop it from stealing all your mana.

2. After all my mana is gone the dark jedi still has some and then simply grips me and i cant do diddly squat.

this has happened many many times, the only defence against drain is running away or try to kill them while they drain you, but they can backup as fast as you can run forward so thats not too likely to happen.

My opinions on drain after a few good days of straight dueling in MP.

1) Shouldn't be able to drain if dark jedi has full HP

2) Should cost more mana/force for the user

3) Should add to mana of light jedi with absorb on

4) Range should be lowered

5) Should lower the healing rate for the dark jedi

Right now I think drain should have its place in the game, but toned down alot. It costs too little force to cast relative to its power. Not only is the user gaining life, opponent loses mana, thus even lowering the light jedi's ability to counter it even further.

Because there is a casting cost (as well as the countdown cost) for absorb, once a light jedi is down to zero mana he must run and wait a while before his force charges up. The range of drain is so far that unless the light jedi totally flees (not an option in duel servers), he pretty much can't charge enough mana to counter drain and get in and fight.

And since drain does not charge up the mana of an absorbing jedi, his mana is going to run out eventually and then the dark jedi keeps nibbling at his force, never letting it recharge, and topping his health up at the same time.

My 2c.

Originally posted by Reaper21x

Stopping for any amount of time in fight = dead jedi.

guys that isnt so

games like RTCW play a slow pace without making the game boring AT ALL

bazzooka in wolfenstien takes like 30 seconds to reload, all guns use like a max of 4 clips of ammo or something

there are no health or ammo packs AT ALL, all health and ammo comes from 2 player classes that have to distribute them

its kinda dumb that each player can do everything himself and never needs to rely on anyone else

its bad enough there are packs all over but then people can drain and heal themselves totally on the run

what big loss would it be to need to stop and rest for a few seconds?

i guess that just goes against the DM code :p

with full force you can force heal yourself to a hundred in 3 seconds no problem either, I primarily play on no force servers because you get a much more enjoyable game out of it but the times I'm forced to play on a server with full force i use it to drain both people of their force powers so you can have an even battle. When you play against someone who has heal and you get a good hit on them they just back off and heal themselves and then come back after, battles are seemingly endless due to this. just the minute your health is low run away. I also use it the most on ns_streets so I don'T get pushed or griped into the casm below me. I've played both sides of the force and I agree with what someone said earlier, every force power has a counter to it. I think healing in all aspects should be eliminated. Med packs shilds etc. Or at least less placements of them and make them barely acessible. I mean right when you die your back in the action with full health anyways. I'd rather have really good short saber battles like duels then haveing batles that can last an eternity no matter how good you play.

1) Shouldn't be able to drain if dark jedi has full HP

This I can see as a viable point... the force being drained would be going nowhere and that just doesn't sit quite right.

5) Should lower the healing rate for the dark jedi

This I DON'T agree with. This is the Dark Jedi's only healing force.

The best solution is to simply remove drain entirely from the game.

This would give the light jedi SUCH a huge advantage. Now Im the first to admit that using drain in combination with other force (grip, lightning) is INSANELY cheap, but it seems to me that theres a ton of light jedi complaining its cheap because all ofa sudden they cant heal.

Do you know how cheap heal is? 2 (or is it 3?) points of force for 50 life? C'mon people, thats as cheap as you get. It more or less ruins saber duels unless you have drain because unless you can get a one hit kill (red stance) you cant do anything. This is also what created Paladin players (red stance+heal) which is becoming oh so prevalent in duel servers, players who just swing and heal hoping to hit and make a one hit kill.

heal needs to be slowed or whatever but one argument i really dont understand is: 'we need drain, its our healing power'

so what? where's the light sides damage dealing power?

dark side: heal, damage

light side: heal

make heal AND drain less powerful and it might work.

Archived