Home

My Latest MP experience... Not So Great!

Beckett

Alright, is it just me or are the people playing MP getting more cocky? I mean, everyone I see is doing that damn jump slash (Strong Stance) thing and they think they are badasses. So i stepped in and threw this one guy off of the spaceport in bespin b/c he just kept jumping and using that move. He freaked out and called me a "*****" and said that "The Dark side is for pussies". Hmmmm, he could have been a little more sportsmanlike and used push or pull instead of being an ass. So i switched servers.... the same thing happened on 4 different servers. I've been playing MP since the day the game came out, and if this is what it is coming to, then its going to be back to Team Fortress for me. I know that none of you here on that board would be so immature as to gloat that much. I mean hell, it's a free country and I can play the game however i want to, dont you think? It's just rediculous when people complain when you use force grip or a certain sabre move, afterall, thats what the game is about, it's not just called "gun fights" or "saber fights" but "STAR WARS: JEDI KNIGHT II" which means it encompassess everything dealing with the star wars world from force grip, to saber duels, to using various blasters. So those of you that are complainging, please shut up and just play the game how you want to, and I'll play the damn game how i want to. I'm done ranting.

I must say that I don't like gitting killed, but if it's due to somthing funny like recieving a insta-kill jump-slash and being catapulted 50 feet into the air... I'm gonna laugh and say somthing no more insulting than "jerk, bum or Dork." Of course I'll seak his ass down and force push him off a cliff, but I'll gloat only with "Ha. You had that coming." I try not to be too rude.

Here's a question, I've played Medal of Honor multiplay, and I know for a fact that when I kill someone on that, the most they'll say is "OUCH!! grrrrrrr...." or "nice!" Somthing about balls-to-the-wall saber combat that gets people's blood boiling.

It's not the fact that they got killed, or the fact that you use force Grip, push or pull to throw them off a cliff... its the fact that their "Unbeatable" and "Awesome" move.. (Usually the only move they know) didn't work against you, because you could counter it.

They usually say the exact same thing if as they drop towards you and start their swing, you roll under them and hit them from behind, killing them.

I say, use whatever skills are at your disposal... just as long as it isn't a cheap kill. (ie. killing someone standing still, with their saber not activated, and their back to you, waiting for a duel.)

Thanks for the support guys, and you're all very right, once the noobs get sick of all this sportsmanship that we put accross theyll head back to straight up deathmatch where they belong. To be honest I don't really care what people say, it just kinda bugged me today for some reason. I mean, usually i get on, and have some really great duels with some sporting people, if they lose, i get a "nice fight" or the like, not foul things shouted. I know this kind of thing has been posted before, and I'm not usually one to complain or repeat posts that have already been stated, but damn, after 4 servers of this junk I had to talk to someone about it. So thanks all! And may the force be with you !

Originally posted by Tozier

Here's a question, I've played Medal of Honor multiplay, and I know for a fact that when I kill someone on that, the most they'll say is "OUCH!! grrrrrrr...." or "nice!" Somthing about balls-to-the-wall saber combat that gets people's blood boiling.

Heh, I don't know which MOH you're playing, but PA even wrote a comic about how in Allied Assault the decent weapons are constantly complained about.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view2002-04-08rl.html

It's just true of all multiplayer games, MOH:AA it's the shotgun and rocket, in Wolfenstein it's the panzerfaust and venom, in quake it's whatever weapon they were last fragged with..

I think the only reason we are seeing it more is that because JO is a star wars game it appeals to a lot of casual players, by casual I mean those who spend an hour or two playing a week vs. those who play an hour or two a day.

Hell in 2-3 weeks of JO I've already seen more gripes at me in pubs than I have in 3 years of the tribes franchise. The other night I was booted from a server for... I kid you not: "whoring the over powered lightsaber" And at that point, I had about five saber (From blue stance even) kills and a good 30 gun kills.

Eventually the newbies will learn how to counter the stuff they are griping about, or they leave. Heck, 50 percent of the time someone complains about any tactic I use I generally see them trying to do it to me on the next map. Time will change this.

(And as a side note, one who complains about a power isn't a newbie, I still think drain is immensely overpowered, though I have never and will never bring myself to whine about it in a pub. It's just the kids that gripe about push or pull, absorb, guns, the lightsaber, the very easily countered grip, and just about everything else that they haven't learned to counter or if it's something as broad as say guns or "all force powers" they have the perogative of never playing with them if they so choose.)

Well, I just played on an NF FFA server with a fairly low ping (hooray!), and started dominating a match (in Nar Shadaa - one of my least favourite levels), and this player joins and attacks, and I managed to kill him. So he hunted me down, killed me a couple of times, and started insulting me. It happens...probably because I was in the lead, or something. I just hunted him down and killed him twice in a row...he left the server soon after.

So yes, some people obviously see getting killed as a personal insult or something, and then start getting nasty. I'm just there to have a good time, and see how many times I can duel.

I managed to win that match...which is pretty much a damned miracle - and only the 2nd or 3rd since I started playing online a few weeks ago.

I encountered another guy who used a lot of saber Heavy stance (I think he was trying to do a dfa on me, but he didn't get the execution right and I rolled straight under him). After a bit of dodging and weaving I managed (just) to take him down...and he was great about it. In fact, we ended up as the only ones left on the server at one point, and started a game of cat-and-mouse, laying trip-mine and det pack traps, and engaging in the odd saber duel. It was great fun, and some other players came and went, while we were in a race to see who got the most kills...until I disconnected. :(

So I just ignore those who start throwing insults around...unless they hunt me down, and then I hunt them right back. As the others say, UT2's around the corner...along with other titles...and I'm sure some people will leave JKII MP and find their own little niche, and find other things to complain about.

I think it all balances out in the end...you have to put up with some nasty stuff, but the good battles make it all worthwhile. :)

LOL whats really funny is when those DFA people switch to another stance they suck. I was on a duel server and he did the DFA and got me. Well while dead I type "Whats the matter don't know any other moves?" more as a joke, well he did switch surprisingly but he couldn't hit a thing with the light and medium stance actually he became a headless chicken (I think thats the right term) he died and switched back to DFA 24/7, I usually don't mind the DFA as I will just go to light stance and pick away at them, sometimes I miss time or guest the range and die from it most of the time it misses me, heck I use the DFA from time to time great against people who like to wait for you to rush them.

Awol

Seems all of us on the board are the only ones that want to use any other stance than strong. It's good to see that Im not the only one noticing this "plague" of people abusing the DFA move (and the plague of people using the "Hey! You There!" taunt). I was just in a game a minute ago and the same thing, a guy running around like a chicken with it's head cut off (this is a GREAT way to describe them) using the strong stance slashing the air. I just sttod there, turned off my saber and crouch watching in amazment. I used the laugh taunt to get his attention, he faced me, i put it on medium stance did a slash right then doublebacked with a spin and nailed him. It's amazing that we are all executing these kills with minimal movement, and with finesse. Well, back to the game for me, and another sleepless night of playing JO.

Archived