Thank you for downloading the Jedi Outcast Update. This

readme includes instructions on how to install this update as

well as information on what was addressed in this update. If

you are experiencing any issues that are not fixed by this

update, please check the Troubleshooting Guide which is

included on the Jedi Outcast CD. You can access this through

the game's launcher.

The use of this update is pursuant to the Software License

Limited Warranty found in the manual of the game.

This update is compatible with your saved games.

All Multiplayer users must use Jedi Outcast version 1.03.

Instructions for Installing the Jedi Outcast Update

---------------------------------------------------

After downloading the update, double click on JKIIUpdate.exe

to install. The installer will automatically search for the

folder where you originally installed Jedi Outcast and install

all of the updates. If the update does not locate Jedi Outcast

on your system, you may need to reinstall the game from the

original CD and then run the JKIIUpdate.exe

This update for the game has been modified to:

---------------------------------------------

* Provide EAX® 3.0 and OpenAL support. To enable these options,

you will need to enable 3D Sound in the Sound Setup menu.

NOTE: At the time of release of this update, EAX 3.0 is only

supported on the Creative Labs Inc. SoundBlaster® Audigy

and Extigy sound cards.

NOTE: This feature is not supported on Aureal® Vortex and

Vortex 2 sound cards. Enabling this feature with a card with

one of these chipsets may cause the game to lock up.

Multiplayer:

-----------

* Include 4 new Multiplayer Duel levels, which support BOTs.

* The new levels are:

duel_bespin, duel_temple, duel_hangar, and duel_training

Single Player:

-------------

* Provide Force Feedback mouse support.

* Provide limited Force Feedback support for joysticks.

NOTE: Force Feedback joystick effect is not fully supported

in this update.

Corrects various gameplay issues, including:

-------------------------------------------

Multiplayer:

-----------

* Corrects an issue where players were unable to cycle to

detonator packs and trip mines on the “explosives” key

unless they also had Thermal Detonators.

* Corrects an issue that prevented launching a multiplayer

game on AMD dual processor machines

* Corrected an exploit to prevent players from using illegal

models in the game.

* Corrected an exploit that allowed players to have force

powers outside of what the server rules allow.

* Added a keyboard icon that appears over the player's head

when the player is chatting or configuring force powers.

* Backflip now requires that you double tap the jump button.

* Lightsaber usage in multiplayer has been modified to work

similarly to the way it works in single player levels. This

will enable better saber battles up close with your opponent.

* Lightsabers will do less damage at the very start and very

end of a swing. This should prevent kills from just touching

an opponent with the tip of your lightsaber.

* Other players will not see the glow from a player using force

absorb until they are attacked.

* Force Heal and Force Drain have been adjusted to require more

force energy to use them.

* Corrected an issue that prevent lightsaber locking from

occurring in duels even if it was enabled by the server.

* Correct various Duel mode issues, including:

* Reconfiguring force powers will not place your player at

bottom of queue.

* If one player leaves during a match when dueling with more

than 1 kill limit, the next person in line will not enter

the match with the score of the person who left the match

* Changing skins will no longer produce a loss score on HUD

that includes fraglimit

Single Player:

-------------

* Corrected an issue that would cause the third AT-ST on

Artus_Topside to disappear that prevented Jan from landing.

* Corrected an issue that caused enemies not to be alerted by

the body of a comrade in their field of vision.

* Corrected an issue where enemies did not try to avoid

thermal detonators that were thrown at them

* Corrected an issue that would cause the player to be unable

to attack for about thirty seconds if they were force pushed

out of a saberlock

##############################################################

© 2002 LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC.

© 2002 Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM or ® as indicated.

All rights reserved. Used under authorization.

LucasArts and the LucasArts logo are trademarks

of Lucasfilm Ltd.

EDIT [07-09-02]: I've decided to unstickify Michael Gummelt's thread about 1.03 changes because we had too many up there. The thread will stay around, but it'll move down the page. It is located here for reference, but here is the conect of the post:

Details About Some Patch Changes

(This is a copy of my other post, but stuck and locked so that it contains just my original relevant info that I was providing).

Okay, the patch info doesn't go into the details about what was changed in saber combat for the patch. For those of you that are insterested, here's the deal:

In general, some work was put into making sabers more likely to hit - both the other players and their lightsaber. This was not so much a problem with strong attacks because they are so long and slow, but often medium and fast attacks would miss or pass through.

Idle saber damage (i.e.: damage not done while in an attack animation) was toned down to reduce the number of seemingly "random" kills.

Parries, deflections, reflections, broken parries and knockaways were put into MP (these were in SP but were not in MP).

Saber lock frequency was slightly increased so that it could happen in the heat of combat.

Hand dismemberment was put in to MP, also, the hand-dismemberment "win" result of saberlocks that is in SP was put in MP. It only happens if the loser of the saber lock was low on health anyway.

Light Stance:

The foward lunge attack (swing from the bottom up) was toned down in damage just a little bit because it was quite often a 1-shot kill and could be exploited fairly easily. It still does a lot of damage, just not enough to kill in one hit.

Medium Stance:

Medium was not meant to be the whirling dervish style, so it was made so that, if you do the same exact move over and over again, you cannot chain as many attacks as if you mix it up a little. "Spinning top" fighters should use fast style. This is the *only* change to medium style.

Strong Stance:

Strong attacks were slowed down some to match SP, as was player movement while doing a strong attack. Strong attacks also do more of their damage at the middle of the swing and less at the start and end. This was necessary to give the strong attacks a more realistic feel (because the anims are so long that sometimes you would get a somewhat accidental looking kill). But strong attacks were also given the ability to chain, like in SP. If you do an attack and then switch up the direction of the attack by 45 degrees, you will be able to chain into another attack. Also, the strong overhead jump attack was made to not do as much damage once the saber is in the ground and you can no longer turn during this attack (like the fast style's lunge attack). This was the single most exploited move in MP and required this much heavy tweaking.

The back-flip off a wall/opponent was changed into a double-tap. This was mostly done because it was frustrating to try to get over a small lip and end up back-flipping off of it. In combat, you can still kick someone and knock them down with this move, but you have to do a double-tap. Also, it was noticed that the strong style was completely vulnerable to this move because of the long wind-up time of it's attacks. A somewhat skilled jump-kicker could always knock down a strong style user (often you could not see the kick coming). So the jump-kick was made to not *knock down* a strong user who is in the middle of a swing. It still does damage and you still flip off them.

Regardless of what you feel is different or other posters say, these are really the *only* changes to saber combat...

We tested the new saber tweaks pretty heavily and only stopped when we felt that the three styles were well balanced with each other.

Someone else mentioned that they already found the g_jediVmerc cvar (I don't know how!)... to quell and speculation about it, this is a server cvar that makes it so that clients joining a game must choose to be a jedi (who uses the saber and force powers) or a non-jedi (a mercenary, who uses guns and pickups). It is *not* a supported feature and makes no claims at being bug-free or a balanced game feature. Use it at your own risk. Note that you have to set it on the command line (or, I think, use the console's "set" command) to get it to show up on your console.

The server browser was updated to include 5 possible new icons next to the server names. One is a lock and indicates a server that requires a password. The second icon will either be a force icon with a half-faded circle with a slash symbol (meaning some force powers are disabled, but not all) or a force icon with a large red "X" over it (meaning all force powers are disabled). The last slot will show a saber for saber-only games or a saber and a gun for Jedi vs. Merc mode.

That's all I can think of now.

Michael Chang Gummelt

Lead Gameplay Programmer

Jedi Knight 2

Raven Software

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by xtmn8r

Yes it has the wrong links but that is mostly because the page is updating as I type this. Give it 30 minutes or so and you will be free to download version 1.03 all you want :-)

I installed it already, check the link I posted above :D

Saber fighting takes longer, but in a good way. Red stance is no longer a non blockable auto kill and blue stance is much more useful. Heal and drain are both equally balanced now. So far very good patch.

Cool. Thanks for the heads-up, digl! I'll be sure to check this out.

One thing: Can you still join servers that use the older Jk2 version?

You will be able to join servers that are still running v1.02. But if the server has updated, then you need this new patch for it to run. The servers with the old version will probably be around for a couple days, so if you can't dl it tonight, don't worry too much.

But get it while it's hot! I was getting a good speed from JKII.net. Go go go!

Re: joining servers that haven't updated yet --

I haven't been able to do it. Getting a lot of 'expected version 7, got version 6' errors. Have only been able to play some bot matches so far.

It's good. It's really good, seemingly. Good enough that said bot matches were actually satisfying (!).

The lightsaber swinging seems to be more predictable now -- e.g., attacking w/o moving actually does consistantly produce the top-down slash in all stances. So that's nice.

They also restored/updated a lot of animation to the swings. That may or may not be a good thing (read: does it affect latency at all?).

Has anyone else noticed the game running a little slower since patching?

And hey -- new maps! Good ones, too. The hangar bay with reflective floors is really cool, and you get the ROTJ final duel music in the 'Ceremonial Hall' level.

Why is it that with this new, awesome patch, I can't join any multiplayer games anymore? It says something like "interface version is 6, expected 7" or something about "entities: end of message." It sounds like there is another patch out or something...?!

Originally posted by Skyro

Why is it that with this new, awesome patch, I can't join any multiplayer games anymore? It says something like "interface version is 6, expected 7" or something about "entities: end of message." It sounds like there is another patch out or something...?!

the servers are using the old version

Anyone play Duel mode with the patch yet? I tried playing a No Force, Saber Only duel against a bot, and the bot was throwing their saber at me. Plus, I couldn't switch out of blue stance. Is this supposed to happen with the patch??

Archived