Do you like the patch?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the patch?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes and no
    • Undecided

Good and Bad I say

1- Hitter Heavy Stance move is reduced to that you can't change direction once u went for the lounge...

But now, I get more crashes...really just out of no where...I would just freeze, but other people can still move around and attack...

The new Force system is a bit messed up...especially in a duel. If both players are Dark, no one would focus on the saber fight, instead they would use Force Lightning to strike the other player, and the other player would use Force Drain to regain health..and this goes on forever...

Some of my friends said the netcode got worse...I dont know

The little text icon was pretty cool...now a lot of the saber fighting are very similar to single player

Grip was also changed...that you cant move as fast as before...you can only walk...fine with me.

The maps are pretty nice...

Bespin Vent Map - If you're using FF, you will never get across lol

Lightsaber Training - Nice Map

The map with a bunch of crates and a force shield - Caused some framerate problem since the ground glares back at ya...

When you begin to duel, you get this animation that zooms to you...the joiner usually will lag on that animation...

Now even no force, you get saber throw AND full offense and full defense powers....makes duel longer than before

That's all I've observed so far...

this patch blows for so many reasons:

okay the main thing that everyone talks about, the one hit kill move. Too powerful before...i didn't think so since there were like 5 or 6 different easy counters to it but to each their own. Okay, so reduce the damage a bit...fine. But now its reduced in damage, harder to execute, and can't even turn mid jump.

My question is why didn't they just take it out entirely...its totally worthless now.

Healing is also fairly pointless now, because you would have to run around the level for like 20 minutes in order to fully heal from say 15 health.

With the healing nerf, comes the unbalancing of saber throw, which IMO was already messed up. Before a person could sit back and keep backing up and throwing the saber at you, and eventually it would hit you while you followed them all around the level. One way to counter this, was the one hit move, which was not used to strike, but to close the gap, and make them change direction. Or you could just heal laughing off the damage. Now you can't do either.

I never use dark side, so i have no idea how badly drain was nerfed.

The absorb not showing up is about the only good thing to come out of this patch. And probably the levels if you like dueling...never play that myself.

I feel, that like diablo II they are trying to make the game "better" by making it take longer to achieve your goal. Nerfing everything is a terrible way of doing it.

If they really wanted to fix the game what should have been changed from original was;

Make fast saber stance faster. Make Medium a little more powerful. Leave heavy alone (or reduce damage a bit on the special move if you really want to keep whining about how much you suck and can't easily avoid it) and make fast/med more controllable, and less random and useless.

Make blaster bolts faster, make flechette launcher slightly weaker, or take slightly more ammo, make that ion gun actually do some damage...cause god it sucks.

Ok. Just played a bunch of duels and FFAs, and I conclude, that it is better NOT to have a patch. Here are some reasons:

In "duels", there's really no more lightsaber dueling. All it is, is Saber Throw. You move closer to your enemy, he saber throws. You attack, he saber throws. You jump, he saber throws. And this is when No Force is on. If Force are on, all it is, is Force Lightning and Force Drain. You lightning people, people lightning you back. You drain them, they drain you back. Simple as that.

The unpatched version, all the stances are ALMOST balanced; especially the medium stance and the heavy stance. (Light stance is almost for fun). The unpatched version, medium stance moves quicker than the heavy stance, does decent damage, while heavy stance moves slower than medium stance, does lot of damage. But NOW in Patch 1.03, I'd say Light Stance is the best stance for many reasons (how ironic). First, in patch 1.03, you can virtually block every saber swings. And it doesn't matter what stance you're giving your attack, people get the same recovery time for a saber block. Since Light Stance moves the quickest (I think it's even faster than Force Rage), it can deal A LOT OF DAMAGE while the recovery time. Plus, the backstab is ALMOST 1-hit death. Heavy is almost like nothing in this patch, because you almost have nothing left against light or medium stance, except a weaker-version of the 1-hitter, and some regular slow swings. Also, the Saber Circling glitch hasn't been fixed! All people can do is make the saber go around them and round them again! It's cheaper than the 1-hitter in the unpatched version!!

Again, in Dark Jedi vs. Dark Jedi, all it is, is Force Lightning and Force Drain. No saber fights. Just a Force fight. You lightning your opponent, they lightning you back. You drain them, they drain you back. Over and over again.

No offense to Raven Software, Jedi Outcast is a great game! And many things need to be tried and tested! But I personally think that this patch doesn't make the game greater, if not the other way.

I'm suggesting people to take off the patch, because it really ruins the game more than the unpatched version. So far I have no idea on how to remove this patch, since there's no uninstaller. Probably reinstall will do the trick.

Above are just my opinion :)

p.s. a little glitch I found in one of the new map, Lightsaber Training. If one stands under the main "glass", and he saber throws toward the person who is standing ON the main "glass". How come the person who's standing ON the glass will get damage?!

The patch is wonderful. No more DFA spamming (yet, anyways) and the heavy stance is actually balanced wit hthe rest of the stances, plus the new maps kick arse (although the bespin one give me the willies with my 600 ping). Overall, I love it.

I think I've read that messiah guy's post already in another thread...haven't been able to download the patch yet, but here are my thoughts after reading the posts of those who have.

FDA is now a cool move to try and avoid when you've just been pushed/pulled onto your arse/face. It's a plausible finishing move now, instead of an easy one-shot kill.

I've taken down AT-STs with my ion gun...

Glad to see NF duels have Attack/Defence, but sounds like DFA spammers are being replaced by saberthrow spammers. It isn't fair to blame the patch for the behaviour of the players, Raven's just trying to make the game more real. Looking forward to better saber duelling.

I'll edit/post again after I've managed to taste it for myself...

I've voted yes and no. Actually, I play every gametype -guns most of the

time. This week I started saber duelling and I though those special moves

are pretty cool, the gameplay got spiced up alot and it takes some skill at least.

The patch adds some nice sp effects which is cool but on the other hand it makes those special moves just useless, since they leave you open for an attack way to long. This makes it boring for me, it takes out the action, it's just like jk nf sabering now.

Anyway, 1 week of sabering was enough for me ;).

I don't care about the drain/heal thing, it makes no difference to me.

Besides, instead of messing up those nice saber moves (especially the duck+forward attack) they could have fixed the mana management and force speed. In jk you had force boosts to regenerate mana while using the force powers. Speed takes way too much mana, therefore I use it in ctf only. All neutrals should take the equal amount of mana.

I like the new maps.

Also, why there's saber throw in nf? Never had a prob. with it, I never use it, I never got killed by throw. But, I mean it is NF actually. I always thought saber throw requires force, but it's NF which means no force. ;)

to the people spoojing all over this patch because there's no more DFA, have you actually tried to play saber NF yet? It's a great idea in general, but as someone else above mentioned, the fact that everything gets blocked screws saber dueling up.

Why they didn't just nerf DFA and leave everthing else in saber fighting alone I have no idea. I mean, was anyone complaining that "OMG yellow is too strong with their spins!". When once yellow was the skilled players choice of attacking combos, now it's clunky and slow, and when you do pull combos off the other fighter invariably blocks.

Seriously, playing saber NF now is like playing an entirely new game that is much less fun than the original. I have a feeling that FFA is going to degenerate into people doing two things. 1) "Headless chicken" blue attacking wherein the blue whore in question runs around the screen holding down attack and charging people

2) forward double red attacks, which involves running forwards and holding down attack.

I really really hope they revert most of the saber only NF changes. It's not like DFA was that hard to counter, in fact I loved killing DFA whores because they were so easy and predictable. I'd much rather have the occassional random from behind DFA instakill than completely pathetic saber fighting in general. Now, as they say, it is sux. :mad:

Well if those are the tactics that people are going to be using then all I can say is: BRING IT ON!!! If people really start doing that I'm gonna own them because I can just block light then swing once and kill, and heavy is so slow with light/medium I can kill em before they even finish hitting.

You just wait until you've blocked then instantly attack. Saber comabt is easy.

I responded that YES I LOVE IT.

Hellraiser and I played some last night, and it was probably the most fun dueling I've had in a while. Sounds to me like the majority of complaints here is with saber fights being either not quick enough or worried about saber throw spammers in NF.

Light blocks almost everything, but THAT's as it should be! It's supposed to be a defensive stance and if you saber defense is at level 3, then you should block nearly everything that comes at you. What I noticed too, was that while light seemed to block there were plenty of occasions, where a heavy hit knocked my saber away and plowed through my defenses! So it isn't as invulnerable as you make it out to be.

And I love all the blocking and parrying that actually occurs now. I guess if you're all bout getting the quick kill in saber duels well, you really got your work cut out for you. It can be done, but what this patch really did was create actual DUELs where strategy and tactics are invovled to a much higher degree than before.

All they really did was replace the multi-player saber system with the far superior single player version, and then turned DFA into a true finishing move, ala the backstab. Not easy to pull off, but more a finesse move. Things have to be just right and you have to set your guy up for it.

As for saber throw in nf servers, people act like they've never seen it before...hello? Have you ever challenged someone to a duel in FFA?? You get NF except saber throw and jump in that situation, and it is hardly unbalanced. I played in numerous challenges before last night, and you don't get people constantly spamming saber throw. It's the people you're playing with. Find the counter(s), there are quite a few.

I haven't played in any gun situations yet, just a saber only full force last night on my server. But from what I read, it looks like they made this game closer to Star Wars and less like Q3. The emphasis has shifted to the saber. IMO that is a good thing.

The only thing I would have liked to have seen is backwards running speed reduced by a bit, but its no biggie.

If you don't like the patch, I guess you can un-install it, but telling others to do it, because YOU feel the patch ruined the game FOR YOU...well that smells like freshly squeezed whine :violin:

TDS

I think they entire MP game of JK2 stinks so I'm not playing it anymore anyway.. Patch AWAY!!

Its one big bore fest, force this force that, run away here run away there, no weapons fighting jeez why bother.

Saber this. :p

Gimme Q4 allready

yeah, just like Q3! shoot this! shoot that! its all the same.

jesus, what the hell do you expect? its a game! it was released 9 months after production! its damn spiffy. credit given where credits due, whining fool.

and yeah, its improved alot. that hangar map kills my PC, even with my GF4 4400 and athlon xp 1700+! ouch, now we see why its not in the game!

Archived