Home

Sweet zombie jesus i love duelling with medium style in the new patch

Darksider

This patch just cant be beat, the simple fact of the matter is you just have to put in the effort and get used to it. I can now kick again without trouble so ive got no complaints even minor from the patch. This patch is just brilliant for duels.

People have been complaining because you cant spin in medium style any more. Thats a load of crap, you just cant flail like a spinning top by holding one directional key. If you do a horizontal swipe and at the far end of it press the opposite directional key you will follow through with a spin, which feels soooo much more intuitive and realistic, you are actually guiding the movement of the saber, not tapping out a key combination to get some cheap kills.

Duelling with this system is infinately better, you have to be strategic and wait for an opening before you go to attack, or create one yourself with a kick of a feint attack. People who would go wild swinging and DFAing hoping to get a hit are easily put down like the dogs they are, but since they are unable to adapt to a system that requires skill rather than being an arcade-style affair their first instict is to whine.

We had great fun on AusGamers last night, organized duels that lasted a full 3 maps (Bespin, death star and star destroyer). The ones whining about how the new patch sucks were the ones running about with repeaters and rocket launchers. When someone tried to launch a rocket at us on the pad, i pushed it back. He died. We laughed!

Of course, it was because "omg guns were nerfed this patch sucks". Anyone who sought to invade our duelling space in another capacity was cannonballed to their doom. And the saber fighting was brilliant, duels went on for 2 minutes or more with saber locks aplenty, crowds gasping and cheering for their respective champions, watching every darting flick of the sabers as they found their marks was just great fun.

I got owned severly the first 4 or 5 times i duelled (clanmates Golgo13 and Rampager got 3 then 5 consecutive wins respectively), but it didnt matter because it was great fun, and while we were waiting for our next turn there were always plenty of invaders to cannonball hehe. Then later i picked up and set the standing record of 13 consecutive wins :D.

It is completely beyond me how anyone who has actually bothered to learn the new fighting system can kick up such a god damn whinefest about the whole thing, to the point of quitting the game (and why do you feel the need to tell us? it just confirms our suspicions that you are, infact, stupid)

The only concrete reason i have ever seen cited to the failing of 1.03 is the heavy stance backsweep, which is much easier to avoid than dfa was and is now (backflip anyone?) and since it is so easy to avoid it seems to be just a manifestation of the frustration people are feeling due to the fact that they cant accept they no longer own everybody and need to re-learn the game. Every other criticism leveled at 1.03 has been a general "it sucks" comment.

Just try 1.03 for awhile, its truly worth it. If you dont, it doesnt bother the rest of us, just dont come on the boards of the game you supposedly hate now and are quitting and try and tell the rest of us how wrong we are because we like it.

I always was a medium player, granted I switch between all 3 styles for full effect, but 75% of the time I use yellow-death.

Actually I like the new animations for medium better, it always seemed like "light stance-special edition" to me before, but now it really has a feel of it's own. And BTW, as for spinning, the blue stance spin has now achieved the official "John Rambo-rabid pit-bull seal of approval". I love taking a couple of slow heavy stance swipes and then quickly switching to blue, dashing in like a hurricane to throw opponents off.

:ewok:

Agreed. I had a similar experience this afternoon. And I agree, the saberlocks just own.

I learned that while the red style is slow and unwieldy, it is something that I need to brush up on. I got my ass handed to me a number of times today because of a few well place red hits. But thats the nice thing about practice. You get better.

And the really nice thing about finding a group like you did is the game then really becomes fun. Even if you are losing. As long as it is to someone with skill, it looks good, and I learn something from my defeats, I dont even mind losing 5-6 times in a row.

Nice thread. I like your attitude...

One thing that, sadly, seems to escape many is that you can make combo moves in red style as well. Using the normal chaining technique (changing direction 45 degrees between each slash) you can chain up to 3 attacks together. I've lost count of how many times I took someone by surprise by first making a slow white sweep by strafing and attacking, then following up wiht a fast overhead slash (strafe+forward, while keeping slash down from the last attack) to bring them down to low health and then another overhead slash (forward, while keeping slash held down still).

Similairely, you can tap backwards, hit and hold slash and do two slashes quickly after one another, the second being about as fast as a medium style attack.

i also like the patch.. but to tell you the truth besides the ability to do spinning tops in 1.2 i did love how medium was.

i like medium now.. but it just feels slower, there is no medium its speedy gonzalas, then slow poke medium then sloth strong.

Its a great patch for duels!

Its a great game and a great patch.

i just spent another entire day dueling, against people using all kinds of different styles. No one style dominated. It was truly awesome!

This is like no other gaming experience. Other games have tried to do swords, but this is a quantum leap ahead!

Each player swings the light sabre in a different way. Even if they try to do one move over and over, no two players are exaxctly alike.

I am having a blast and so are thousands of other force junkies like me.

The problem with the patch is that with the ammo cut back CTF is totaly destroyed. The maps didnt have alot of ammo to begein with now that the two main guns cost about 2 to 3 times more ammo its just not possible to defend. there are a few more reasons but as of now this is the biggie.

No?

No to what? No dueling isn't a ton better now?

I don't play CTF so I can't really say much about the ammo there, but enough people have commented on it that I believe it's a major issues that needs to be adressed. And I believe that Raven will fix this in the next patch.

But the point of this thread was how much better dueling is now.

If we can kill flag carriers in sabers only you can sure as hell do it in a guns match, the guns are just gravy (well a particularly foul and rancid variety of gravy if like me you are a saber purist)

make good use of the force, or better yet, always have the enemy flag when possible, then send out small groups to kill the enemy carrier - sniping, throwing off edges or even cheap gun whoring (boo hoo theres not enough ammo, conserve the damn repeater and flechette for killing the flag carrier and use your saber on normal enemies) makes it quite possible to chase down those pesky flag carriers

yes its an adjustment, as are all things in 1.03, but its not inconceivable to adapt

Before I start this list, I'll say that I'm pro-patch and also pro-patch development.

Considering the amount of complaints that were coming in about 1.02 and what we then got in 1.03...

"Drain whores!"

Drain nerf.

"Grip whores!"

Small grip nerf.

"Absorb useless!"

Abosrb boost.

"DFA spammer!"

DFA nerf.

"Gun whore/alt-spammer!"

Ammo nerf.

Now considering the amount of complaints coming in about 1.03 imagine what 1.04 is going to be like...

"Too much blocking!"

"Sabers don't do enough damage!"

"Guns are usesless now!"

"Drain/Grip/Heal is useless!"

"Backstab lamers!"

"Absorb too powerfull!"

I reckon this means the blocking will be toned down a bit.

Damage will probably go up a bit.

Grip, drain and heal might be beefed up a little, grip and drain being boosted would balance out the absorb we have now.

Guns might get more ammo on pickup but require as much ammo to fire.

Backstab will be nerfed to some extent.

I don't know about you people, but those changes don't sound too bad to me. I could live with slightly less saber clashing. I could put up with people draining me a bit more. Nothing too bad.

Personally I am hoping for 1.04 to be most of 1.03 with small parts of 1.02 back again, but then presented fresh and new.

Whadda y'all think?

Originally posted by Nill the Mean

Whadda y'all think?

I think it's fine the way it is. Although I'm now no longer almost always the top (from DFA spamming and heavy backswinging (yes, I did that BEFORE the patch came along *gasp!*), the combat has much more depth to it when you play with those who actually were willing to start from scratch again. Yellow is good but does too littel damage, so I use red most of the time.

oh come on Dark u didnt beat me that many times but i agree u did get 13 wins in a row *hurray* it is much better for us duelers i love it the guns im bloody trying to figure out everyway to disable or throw back the guns power on a jedi ive figured out most expect for that damn repeater those big blobs of crap fall to fast to be pushed back....

It is true Spinning it still enabled for those idiot that think holding right (or left) and holding down fire (spin spin spin) wheres the skill????

Its obvious to those who play and bother figuring things out like for the spin u hold forward on medimum press FIRE half way in the mid of the attack u hold horizantly and press and at right time to do a twirl then if ur smart enough u'll combo that with a kick then a throw then a ... WIN!!!!

The Rocket launcher i dont really use unless its for the following reason

ROCKET TENNIS *WOOT WOOT*

Try and dodge the homing rocket (obvious by name)

i like rocket tennis it shows ur hand timing and ur ability not to fail pressing at the right time and aiming it in the right direction :)

of course its hard to find a playable net...

On ffa_bespin alot has happened but these are the following reasons everybody likes ( or hates) that lvl

A HUGE DUELING PAD *WOOT WOOT*

(hate) when u walk on the pad then get thrown off continusly (looking in direction of whiners that cant play and interruput the duel)

when standing on rim of pad sometimes kicked off without realising who did it

Great observing place for the spectators

We'll im not the judge of how u think of that map but i like it alot thx for listening

-------Rampager[saberSociety]-------

those who interrupt, i sacrifice unto the great void :)

then there are those who give themselves willingly (like ramp hehe), usually its a struggle, i just grip them, spin them, toss them then push them and they go reeling to feed the hungry god of the void muhahaha

Originally posted by Spider AL

Undoubtedly duelling is better now. However Gambit was right to mention the counterpoint to that, that the other game modes have to an extent, suffered.

And I agree, Raven needs to look into the gun issue. But this post isn't about guns, it is specificly about dueling... I just had a issue with someone coming into a discusion about how much better dueling is after the 1.03 patch and say "The patch sucks because of the way they screwed over guns."

In order to get a fair perspective i did play a couple of maps with guns (which i usually avoid like the plague, and a particularly vile and putrescent plague at that) and i do agree, some ammo is difficult to come by - metallic bolt seems to be easiest followed by blaster pack rocket and finally the ever elusive energy cells. *HOWEVER* (and its a big goddamn however) the destructive potential for guns makes this more than appropriate. You can take out 3 or 4 people at once with alt-fire repeater and flechette. There is no reason ammo should not be scarce. The disruptors disintegration is instant death regardless of shields if you can get the shot to hit. The bowcaster is a moot point, i still dont understand people who charge up the 5-shot blast while im charging down their throat with a saber, fire it as i get to them just to kill themselves. Rockets are deadly enough in primary fire, in alt-fire the homing rockets are programmed *VERY* well, it is nigh impossible to avoid them if its locked on to you. The E-11 is irrelevant as well, use it against someone with a saber and you are just begging to die.

What i dont understand is why people are crying that guns suck, a saberist needs to be very very good to come top of the board in FFA - a gun user can be mediocre or worse and still rack up the kills.

Leaving force out of the debate since it is useable by both sides (until jVm is fully supported and used) and has equally devious applications for both sides

Consider this - For a saberist to get one kill he must close with you (not possible without using speed if a person chooses to run backwards or roll), stay in your vicinity long enough to deliver several strikes (on medium stance) and thats assuming they dont pull out their saber, even if only to block it makes it considerably harder. If they choose to run backwards and fire alt repeater or flechette you have little hope of killing them.

A gun user however, can find a pair or more of people bunched together, let off a splash damage weapon and watch the kills mount up. The *ONLY* way to limit this is through ammo, you cant always say 'push it away' due to the tendancy of people to find players who are already engaged with an opponent for easy kills. Im the first to admit that ammo is hard to comeby, having experienced it. HOWEVER i will also say that this is how it should be, you may even have to *god forbid* change weapons once in a while..

That being said, a skilled saberist is more than a match for gun users, i come 1st considerably more often than not, usually i dont when were just having fun and duelling or playing minigames like rocket tennis.

(and the next person who fires a rocket at me and dies because i push it back and accuses me of cheating it going to get it, i swear)

I have been praticing with the light stance...and by the jedi...it roooolz...hehe. But that is because I just like the faster paced fighting style. Also that backstab move is hilarious. There was a group of about 4 peopoe just randomly spinning around and stuff...i just went up to them and did the backstab and got 3 kills instantly:D But that is not all...also I use the lunge move on people who like to just charge at me...it gets them completley by suprise. I was just playing on the Yavin 4 map...it was FFA, and I had 45 some kills...it was hilarious. Mostly I stick to saber only, and no force servers.

Archived