Home

IDEA for Raven: Think it's good? Saber colors.

Nookie

K, 6 saber colors.. some people would prefer different colors. Couldn't you implement a little program to the game which allowed you to base your saber color on HTML Hex codes (#000000), this would allow some players to be unique.. I mean, many people would like this.

Say, you could do this command to get it -

/sabercolor "#009933"

And others.. i'm not sure how you'd do it, but it would just be better than making lots more of images for the in-game color selection.

Anyone like this idea?

Hey yo, remember in Half-Life you could change the RGB of your like arm band and hat that was tight, they should do taht exact same setup in jk2 and also when you are selecting your character have a 3d rotating view of him just like in quake 3 arena I liked that, I dont like how they are just picture swith names thats not very cool.

Originally posted by UsEr-X-

Hey yo, remember in Half-Life you could change the RGB of your like arm band and hat that was tight, they should do taht exact same setup in jk2 and also when you are selecting your character have a 3d rotating view of him just like in quake 3 arena I liked that, I dont like how they are just picture swith names thats not very cool.

I NEEDS IT^

I emailed Michael Gummelt the other day about more saber colors, or an RGB selector, and I got this in reply.

"RGB saber would be really cool, but it would also require a complete rewrite of the saber effects... maybe in our next game we'll make it more mod-friendly (if LucasArts allows it, they only wanted us to have 3 saber colors - red, green and blue).

Michael Chang Gummelt

Gameplay Programmer: Jedi Knight II

Raven Software

http://www.ravensoft.com"

So first of all, Lucasarts only wanted 3 saber colors, and second, it'd be far too difficult from what it sounds to add more colors. I don't know how difficult, but the whole reworking the saber effects system sounds difficult enough for me. :)

Originally posted by UsEr-X-

Why do you keep bringing Michael Jackson into this dood, I know you had a crush on him dood...but seriously let it go!

ROTFLMAO:D :D :D

Yeah adds as whole new meaning to the grip doesn't it

I don't think you're meant to use it on yourself;) :p

Well, lets think a minute here.

There are alot of reasons behind why different sabor colors would be desireable.

However, for game reasons, it could add to the distraction.

So heres an idea I would propose.

In the Star Wars universe, there are generally only 3 colors for lightsabers, with the 4th color being taken from the movie and comic books. However, most if not all those colors corrispond to the Force user(s) own person preference.

It just turns out that the Jedi construct lightsabers that have more "positive" or "Happy" looking colors to them. This is not to say that was Lucas's original idea, because I do not know. (There are more reasons for the differeing colors, but I wont go into them here)

In almost all cases though, Dark Siders have used Red, and Light Siders have stuck with Blue, Green, and the recent addition of purple.

In the comic books, (not all of which are endorsed by Lucas) there were as many colors as there are In Jedi Oucast.

However, those colors corrisponded to the two seperate Sides of the force.

The Light Side generally used the following:

Blue

Green

Gold (rare)

The Dark Side generally used the following:

Red

Orange

White (Palpatine in Dark Empire)

Now in many of the comic books, Purple was a sort of "Neutral Color" as it was used by both Light Siders, and Dark Siders equally. However, these particular characters were almost always exceptions to the rules. They were either very good at combat, e.g. Mace Windu, or they were not totally Light Side, but not totally Dark Side, while attempting to balance inbetween.

An Idea that I think might be better interpreted for gameplay would be: Allow different colored lightsabers for the LightSide/DarkSide teams, but force them to corrispond to the aforementioned catagories. That would put a smile on a few faces. You could leave Purple for both teams, or simply remove it.

Thats what I would do, and Im attempting to decipher how to do it by analyzing the source code in Raven's configuration files, but it is time consuming and Ive had no luck as of yet.

Comments? Suggesstions?

The color of the saber is not actually decided by the side u choose Light or Dark, but by the crystal used by the Jedi when he builds he's own Lightsaber.

The crystal is a precious stone, must be a natural one , like in a real diamond for white saber, not a manufactured diamond as it will blow yer lightsaber in the face and yer hands along with it

Guest HertogJan

Yeah and I thought that red sabers were made with synthetical chrystals... Heard that on these forums somewhere... It would be cool to limit saber color choice to which side you are on!

Red for Dark side

Blue / Green for Light side

Purple for both, but only on Jedi Knight and Jedi Master servers and in Duels...

That would be cool!

I don't really like that people can choose for a Pink saber, or a White one, brrrr...

Purple lightsabers are not different from the others ...

Anakin Solo has a purple one too anf it s an ordinary lightsaber .....

with a crystal ..

The color of the saber only depends on the crystal so there are no dark/light side specifications .

By the way i m sure a RGB saber mod can be done and i ll work on it as soon as the sdk is out !

Originally posted by =SSC=Kal-El

It's not to the extent of what you LIKE...it's to the extent of what you NEED...

ok is it just me or does that sound stupid ITS A GAME WE OF COURSE ITS WAT WE LIKE thats the point of a game to give the gamers something that they LIKE. no one NEEDS jkII we want it don't be stupid:deathii:

Archived