Home

End to the rumours about no next patch ( official )

Ascari

Originally posted by Vestril

Should I be more appreciative that Raven patched in the first place? I'm very appreciative, their intentions were marvelous--their execution was piss poor.

No, no. That's not what I'm saying. I'm more saying the opposite. That developers do not patch out of the goodness of their own hearts, (although people at Raven seem to be dedicated enough to)

Am I supposed to believe that this will be the last patch Raven puts out?

No, I'm saying just don't dog on Raven in the situation that they stop patching. Between doing Quake 4, SoF2, JK2, and probably a billion other things, they probably don't have the free company time to spend making unsupported patches.

It's all up to LucasArts when and if the game gets patched.

Was I deaf because I ignored the noble actions of our friendly neighborhood programmer?

Actually, I just meant that I shouldn't have to be repeating this in so many threads. It just seems far too often that players who hear there won't be patching think that it's all the fault of the developer. They are people, and it's not fair to them.

I hope that clears up what I was trying to say.

Originally posted by NewBJedi

I have $50 + saying JK2 better be patched. I have another $50 + that can either go toward SOF 2 or another non-Raven or non-LucasArts game. [/b]

Wow. That's a whole 5 cents in royalties for each dev, who happened to work on the game you buy, IF they had an amazingly good contract and Johnny Cochran doing the negotiations when they signed it.

As opposed to the regular salary they would be getting for working on a game that the a publisher is paying them for, instead of making unsupported patches.

Raven/LucasArts will make my decision for me - patch the game or I buy games from other dev teams and publishers.

Threatening them with the lack of royalties from ONE SALE isn't going to phase them.

I don't care how much money it takes ..

Of course you don't. You're not the one who has to feed their families/fiance's/dogs/turtles/rabbits with REAL money.

How much does a reputation cost?

About as much as it took them to make Hexen, Heritic, Soldier of Fortune, and Elite Force.

And with that resume, with Quake 4 about to be added, I'd have to say that their reputation is pretty damn secure.

Is it up to Raven or LucasArts?

LucasArts. Unless Raven is so completely kickass as to spend their FREE TIME doing unsupported patches for the sake of us gamers, or they spend company time doing it in order to go the same way of Loki Games.

Raven is developing the game and LucasArts is publishing it - whether they pay or beg LucasArts to accept another patch is their problem, not mine.

They're a contracted developer. They're paid to jump for LucasArts, who publishes it and owns the license.

And you do seem to be making it YOUR problem. It isn't a problem for them to go make another game.

If I don't see another JK2 patch that fixes the problems, I will not purchase another game from either of them again - it's that simple.

:rolleyes:

"If I don't see another JK2 patch that fixes the problems, I will not purchase another game from either of them again - it's that simple."

Would you be so kind as to follow through with this? That way I wont have to listen to your inconsequental threats, thanks. :D

Your $50 never gets to Raven. EVER. It goes to the store, supply chain and the publisher. Raven gets a set amount for every some odd thousand unit sold, in fact, most of their money is forwarded them to make the game, which last time i checked they already did.

Originally posted by NewBJedi

I have $50 + saying JK2 better be patched.

I have another $50 + that can either go toward SOF 2 or another non-Raven or non-LucasArts game.

Raven/LucasArts will make my decision for me - patch the game or I buy games from other dev teams and publishers.

I don't care who is responsible at this point.

Raven is developing the game and LucasArts is publishing it - whether they pay or beg LucasArts to accept another patch is their problem, not mine.

I'm tired of who is to blame or what. Whether it be LucasArts or Raven.

If I don't see another JK2 patch that fixes the problems, I will not purchase another game from either of them again - it's that simple.

Lets play the game "How many times can you quote your own thread, and not try and bother to write something new"

I'm really beginning to LOVE those guys over at Raven Software...

I already thought that it's not completely their decision to make a patch for this (LucasArts-) game. But saying to make a Mod on his own during his free time.... well, I love those guys :)

No, no. That's not what I'm saying. I'm more saying the opposite. That developers do not patch out of the goodness of their own hearts, (although people at Raven seem to be dedicated enough to)

Ah...ok

No, I'm saying just don't dog on Raven in the situation that they stop patching. Between doing Quake 4, SoF2, JK2, and probably a billion other things, they probably don't have the free company time to spend making unsupported patches.

It's all up to LucasArts when and if the game gets patched.

I'm sorry, is it just me or were those two statements somewhat unrelated? All you needed to say was:

'No, I'm saying just don't dog on Raven in the situation that they stop patching. It's all up to LucasArts when and if the game gets patched'

At the same time, if this is the only patch they were going to release, then I will still be dissapointed with Raven, they knew it would be the only patch and still pushed it out too fast. I'm sure you'll argue that Lucas Arts pushed them to get a patch out fast, but if they were aware that it could be the only one (which they would be, if it was), they should have taken a little longer than a month to dump the patch out..

Actually, I just meant that I shouldn't have to be repeating this in so many threads. It just seems far too often that players who hear there won't be patching think that it's all the fault of the developer. They are people, and it's not fair to them.

I hope that clears up what I was trying to say.

It doesn't clear up why you decided to specifically finger me...I haven't been posting in the threads you are in--this is the first time I've noticed your name. I only read a few threads on this subject...

Wow. That's a whole 5 cents in royalties for each dev, who happened to work on the game you buy, IF they had an amazingly good contract and Johnny Cochran doing the negotiations when they signed it.

As opposed to the regular salary they would be getting for working on a game that the a publisher is paying them for, instead of making unsupported patches.

If that's the way you treat customers 'I don't need your stinkin money, there are plenty of other people in line' you'll wind up alienating a large customer base, and find yourself losing money.

Threatening them with the lack of royalties from ONE SALE isn't going to phase them.

Probably not, but in general where there is one opinion, there are others. It gets the idea out that there is a group of people who are very sorely dissapointed with the games state of affairs.

Of course you don't. You're not the one who has to feed their families/fiance's/dogs/turtles/rabbits with REAL money.

Actually he is, and he lost 50 of it to what he considers to be a substandard game. I bet thats a comparable loss to hoiw much a company overall spends patching a game (I mean comparable in terms of ratio of money had/money spent)

About as much as it took them to make Hexen, Heritic, Soldier of Fortune, and Elite Force.

Never played EF or Hexen...Heretic I remember vaguely, and it struck me as a rip-off game. Soldier of Fortune, as I understood it, was a gory game that fans loved, that had an amazingly poor storyline...also not a game that I would consider to be very good.

It takes many games to build a reputation, and just one to break it. Mind you, I don't think JK2 would do that, it's a spectacular game. I'm just suggesting that if they completely mishandle the current situation they could wind up with a biggest multiplayer gaming mess yet...

LucasArts. Unless Raven is so completely kickass as to spend their FREE TIME doing unsupported patches for the sake of us gamers, or they spend company time doing it in order to go the same way of Loki Games.

It's still up to Raven to release a quality patch, when they do.

They're a contracted developer. They're paid to jump for LucasArts, who publishes it and owns the license.

And you do seem to be making it YOUR problem. It isn't a problem for them to go make another game.

It is his problem, he bought the game... Why would he want to buy other games from a company that missupported this one?

I'm really beginning to LOVE those guys over at Raven Software...

I already thought that it's not completely their decision to make a patch for this (LucasArts-) game. But saying to make a Mod on his own during his free time.... well, I love those guys

I agree, if that happens I will write the longest thank you email ever. I'm not sure I buy in to the validity of the emails that have stated that though...

Originally posted by =SSC=Kal-El

Lets play the game "How many times can you quote your own thread, and not try and bother to write something new"

If you insist:

I have another $50 + that can either go toward SOF 2 or another non-Raven or non-LucasArts game.

Archived