Home

Everything cannot be blocked

leelink

This game is really unbalanced. I am getting so tired of having to resort to cheap tactics, because of the unbalance issues in this game. Playing skilled players is nothing but a kick fest with the person having the lower ping winning. sure I could use drain, but that would drain my own power allowing that person to pull me and backstab me, which brings me to... your now without force power so you cant protect against the backstab, nor can you kick someone who knows how to do this well, so then your dead. I know that they are working on a fix. I friends tell me they are beta testing a new patch. But you may not see me on much anymore. these same issues plague 1.02 also, but just the moves have changed a little bit but the tactics remain the same. I dont mind being beat and consider it a learning experience, but there is no "offensive counter" to over half the moves and this is where the trouble is! each force power needs to have an offensive counter that is a "neutral force power" each attack, roll, jump, kick needs to have a offensive counter. this will make your opponent think about his moves and prevent him from spamming the same move... "backstab" "backkick" "DFA"

its not enough that the move be blockable. there must be a offensive counter as to prevent someone from spamming the move over and over again. I dont want to have to reference another game but mortal Kombat had a offensive move for every move you could perform in the game. this made people mix thier styles and not repeat the same moves all time.

Please Fix the combat with offensive counter moves.

yeah, thats the problem. they raised autoblock and they can weaken backstab again, but that will not prevent spam. people will always choose an attack that they find useful and spam it all over. cause varying the attacks in a fight takes skill and that should be rewarded.

I thought about a possible solution to this. maybe there are technical problems, that prevent this solution to be done, but lets give it a try.

when I fight people in ffa/tdm I remember their playing style und try to counter that. what if my character could do the same?

I mean, he saves the last used lets say 20 attacks that hit him for every enemy player. (e.g. player A hit me 13 times with backstab, 4 times with backkick and 3 times with lunge; player B hit me 3 times with attackX, 4 times with attackY, 2 times with attackZ and so on) the more one attack is used successful against him, the better he will avoid/block it next time, but only against that particular player. he is aware of the possibility of this attack from that player, so he shouldnt be surprised by e.g. backstab over and over again.

so if someone spams only 3 attacks (lets say backstab, backsweep, backkick) it does only a fifth of its normal damage or even less and isnt any useful any more. and a player that uses all attacks from all stances will allways hit with full damage and cause a lower blocking rate too. that will encourage combos too, I think.

sorry for my rusty english, but i think, you got the idea.

start the flames!

Originally posted by PanderX

yeah, thats the problem. they raised autoblock and they can weaken backstab again, but that will not prevent spam. people will always choose an attack that they find useful and spam it all over. cause varying the attacks in a fight takes skill and that should be rewarded.

I thought about a possible solution to this. maybe there are technical problems, that prevent this solution to be done, but lets give it a try.

when I fight people in ffa/tdm I remember their playing style und try to counter that. what if my character could do the same?

I mean, he saves the last used lets say 20 attacks that hit him for every enemy player. (e.g. player A hit me 13 times with backstab, 4 times with backkick and 3 times with lunge; player B hit me 3 times with attackX, 4 times with attackY, 2 times with attackZ and so on) the more one attack is used successful against him, the better he will avoid/block it next time, but only against that particular player. he is aware of the possibility of this attack from that player, so he shouldnt be surprised by e.g. backstab over and over again.

so if someone spams only 3 attacks (lets say backstab, backsweep, backkick) it does only a fifth of its normal damage or even less and isnt any useful any more. and a player that uses all attacks from all stances will allways hit with full damage and cause a lower blocking rate too. that will encourage combos too, I think.

sorry for my rusty english, but i think, you got the idea.

start the flames!

Well, that's an interesting idea, but also very complicated to implement. If you consider just a small FFA game--say about 6 people--are you going to remember which attacks you used on who after about 2 minutes of gameplay? If things are hectic, then I certainly wouldn't be able to, especially if people were using the same skins and saber colors (what if I had forceModel 1 set?).

It would require some kind of addition to the HUD to keep track of what kind of attacks that person would be susceptible to. That's a huge request for just a patch.

wow your friends must be really informed because last i heard raven called it a day and moved on to greener pastures.. and even if they didnt im sure they are gonna take some time to test this new patch out.. (which i highly doubt there will be another)

anyway.. instead of cryin about what can and can not be blocked.. why dont you just stay away.. or better yet.. why dont raven nerf this game to the point of you raise your saber.. you just stand there. and the person that spams standing still the longest wins..

*rolls his eyes*

seems to me much simpler to just implement a stamina bar, and/or have special attacks eat from the force pool.

or give a non-refuable "special attack" pool that gets refilled once per level load, or for duel servers once per round.

Kind of a cheap fix, but it would work. The other option is to make it such that normal attacks are preferred to specials, but at that point, they wouldn't be very special would they?

The core issue is that diversity implies inequality in that each capability has different advantages and disadvantages. And given human nature they will fixate on the things that maximize advantage and minimize disadvantage.

I dont think they can/are willing to modify the game to the level you are suggesting leelink.. This is based off of a FPS, not a Street Fighter Clone.. I am not saying its impossible -- but it would require alot of additions.. It would definitly be nice if more skill could be involved in the game..

Truth is the counters currently available are essentially rock-scissors-paper in complexity.. Im still having alot of fun, however I can see it fastly becoming boring.. Most of the skilled players I play against have excellent sabre skills, but both parties inevitably end up using the "cheap tactics" cause the matches would take forever and a day otherwise..

Bottom line is the game is terribly simple.. And I definitly think that to incorporate counters for everything is going to be little more than a pipe dream..

Archived