Home

Guide To Sp And Mp Skin Conversion

Darklighter

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey yall, cool thread, lotsa tips.

I just jumped in to say, if this was one of the forums I mod, it would be sticky in a heartbeat... I will talk to some people and see if we cant fix this oversight... :cool:

re: nekked jan; yeah its a really well done, and downright cool skin(I nabbed it when you could.... but that was before I was a mod:tsk: nobody ask me for it, will be ignored) but it WAS not allowed as the rules say. the mods/admins were not heavy handed, just following the rules.

i copied this post

ok i will explain the steps for makeing a new NPC as best i can for you guys who need it. Keep in mind you dont have to have the model's pk3 file in the base folder for the npcs to work.

1) download or find the model you want to use, and open the pk3 file with winzip, find the model files and hold on to them for a sec.

2) go to your base folder [gamedata\base] and find the, ext_data, folder, if you dont see one, then just make one.

3) make a notpad file, and change the ext to .NPC and copy your npc script into that file, then name it, newnpcs.npc.

npc script should look like this. (for this example we are making darth maul)

Rebornmaul

{

playerModel rebornmaul

saberColor red

rank captain

reactions 5

aim 5

move 5

aggression 5

evasion 5

intelligence 5

hfov 160

vfov 160

height 78

crouchheight 42

width 18

playerTeam enemy

enemyTeam player

// race human

class tavion

yawSpeed 300

walkSpeed 55

runSpeed 200

snd maul

sndcombat maul

sndjedi maul

health 500

dismemberProbHead 99

dismemberProbArms 99

dismemberProbLegs 99

dismemberProbHands 99

dismemberProbWaist 99

}

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

As you can see, i beefed him up a bit for more challenge.

4) Ok now that your npc file is made, go to your base\models\players, folder, if you dont have a models folder, simply make one, then make a players folder inside that.

5) Make a new folder named RebornMaul, and drag those model files you had inside that folder.

6) While in the RebornMaul folder find the Model_default.skin (or whatever yours is named, just find the default.skin file). Right click on it, and click open with, then choose notpad. You will see a bunch of lines of script that looks like this.

hips,models/players/Maul/legs.jpg

l_leg,models/players/Maul/legs.jpg

l_leg_cap_hips_off,models/players/Maul/caps.jpg

r_leg,models/players/Maul/legs.jpg

r_leg_cap_hips_off,models/players/Maul/caps.jpg

r_arm,models/players/Maul/body.jpg

r_hand,models/players/Maul/body.jpg

excetra, there will be alot more, but you get the idea. This is the file that tells the game where to look for the skin on your model when its loaded into the game. So what you do is, see how it says on them /players/Maul/blah.jpg just replace the "Maul" with "RebornMaul" that way the game will look inside your Reborn Maul folder for your model and skins when you load your npc..

Thats it, it should work, you may find models that dont work no matter what you do, that usually the fault of the person who made the model not includeing enough files, and shares to many files with other models, but for most of them, it works just fine.

Alright, I've been trying to do this for a while and this is the most intensive instruction I've found yet. I'll probably be trying it out late tonight. I'm wanting to use the Luke- A New Hope skin and so far I've tried other ways of trying to accomplish this but none were this detailed. Hopefully this will work for me. My one question is you guys talk about converting an MP file to an SP file? Is that where your talking about going into the .skin file and changing all of the models\player\luke\torso(or whatever) files into models\player\kyle\torso???? Sorry if this is a stupid questions but I'm new to this (I just got the game a week ago). Thanks for any replies.

Ok I got the Luke A new Hope Skin in the game but I have one problem (since I gave up on yoda) Whenever I do it it always has an untextured spot where the shoulderpad (I THINK) is supposed to be. I can't get it to look right either. I tried getting the code thingy and putting like nodraw in it but it still didnt work..... I need help on this and I have a screenshot Screenshot of Luke (geocities drag it to address bar)

It worked the first time... Thanks for the info on editing the skins. Everything seems to be working well. This really made the game alot more fun... I really hated that Kyle guys look. I'm still playing single player games... I'm in the Cairne station somewhere. Reborn are loads of fun. I'm thinking about trying out the Multiplayer stuff soon but I know I'll get my butt kicked all over the place. Anyway, thanks for the great info.

chris

• 3 weeks later...

It's np:)Glad I could help...and thanks everyone for adding to this thread...you've helped me out too:Dlol

If anyone still has any questions on converting MP skins and models to work in SP, just give me a shout and I'll do the best I can to answer them...

This thread's been going since early May lol...shame it couldn't have been made a sticky:(I know a lot of people wanted it to...I did help out a lot of people too, but oh well:(:(...

Thanks guys for listening to my incoherant ramblings (:Dlol)...hope I helped you out...any questions just ask:)

Darky

• 3 weeks later...

to the thanks for listenin statement that you said: youre welcome. youve had to listen to all the stupid questions n00bs have asked(such as myself a few months ago). this thread has been very helpful, and because of it, i have become very good at converting models and skins. thanks a bunch dude. you wont go unnoticed.......:D

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers m8:)I appreciate it.

I am going to have a go at converting some of the newest models released. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Also, once I get my website up and running, I'll be putting some of my best converted models and skins online for download, so I'll keep you updated:)

• 5 weeks later...

I am having a little trouble converting one of my models. The one I am going to use is the jeditrainer. Well, firsr of all, I unzipped all of the assets0.pk3 (with all of the levels, models, skins etc.) so they were all separated out into folders. Once I found the jedtrainer folder, I then proceeded to change and alter the file and folder names appropriately, then inserted the pk3 into my base folder. The problem is, it doesn't seem to work at all! I've checked that everything has been done correctly, but the jeditrainer will not show in the pace of Kyle in SP.

Is there a trick to converting in game models to work as SP characters? Can someone please help me:(

#1 get winrar, then you don't have to zip and unzip #2 get your desired skin for sp (let's say yoda) #3 open your pk.3 using winrar, inside your player folder you"ll see a yoda folder, create a folder alongside the yoda folder, call it whatever character you wish to replace (let's say kyle) #4 now go in to your yoda folder and extract the model.glm and the model_default files to my documents or something #5 open the kyle folder (it should be empty) and add the model.glm to it and the model_default files. now you have two folders within your player folder one named kyle and one named yoda both have model.glm and model_default files. #6 delete the model.glm from the yoda folder not the kyle folder and you should be good to go. this works with any skin or model that i have come across! hope i did some good, any other questions ask.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having trouble converting the ep2obiwan_model.zip skin to SP mode and was wondering if anyone could please give me a hand, there are 2 skins in the file, one with obi-wan in robe and one without, i'm trying to get it to work for the obi-wan WITHOUT the robe on, i've very new to this so any help would be great:smirk2:

im getting this

head,models/players/kyle/head.jpg

torso,models/players/kyle/torso.jpg

r_arm,models/players/kyle/torso.jpg

l_arm,models/players/kyle/torso.jpg

r_hand,models/players/kyle/hands.jpg

l_hand,models/players/kyle/hands.jpg

l_leg,models/players/kyle/legs.jpg

r_leg,models/players/kyle/legs.jpg

hips,models/players/kyle/hips.jpg

in my model_default file....jpgs instead of tgas.

I did everything and it dont work anyways...

Dear Skinners,

I have a skinning job for you, its tottaly editable and i dont require it fully in my name. All i ask is that you post it somewhere on it. It doesnt have to be visable o.k. Here's an image:

x+300.jpg

Reply or e-mail me soon if you want to help~!~!~!

I am new to skinning but from the skin above hands are optional, color should be some type of brown metalic grey, and post my name in a readme, of course you will get most of the credit. Thanx, i am hoping for some replies

• 2 weeks later...

Right, first of all, this is totally off topic. Also the pic isn't working, even in another window and it still is farcked.

I assume you are asking us to make a skin of that pic for you and you want your name somewhere on the skin? It's not very clear to understand what you saying.

Also you don't have any right to have your name on the skin at all. The guy who would make the skin is the only person who should have credit.

You don't even deserve credit in the readme for just posting a pic!

Archived