Home

Hoth Rebel Skins,...

HapSlash

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are quite a few great looking ESB skins and models that are out now or coming out. I just downloaded the Luke ESB Bespin and Luke ESB Dagobah skin. Very nicely done. I'm really looking forward to these Hoth Rebels skins.

It looks like all the characters from ESB can be found as a skin or model for JK2. The only characters that don't seem to have a skin or model are: Leia (I love how she looks in her Hoth Clothes. Man, I hope someone makes it), and the droids.

Now... hopefully someone will make a Hoth Mod or some kind of snow map. :)

See a couple of issues with those skins. First off- you have a fairly good spreading of detail across the model, but the padding on those guys is waay to repetitive, try giving some of them little creases and/or highlights and shadows to bring out some of them. Also the facial hair that you have on those is quite poor. It looks like someone used the spraypaint tool in MS Paint to make that. Even if there is just a short beard on them, there should be layers of different values underneath building up to the highlights. Take a look at someones beard and kinda squint your eyes. You'll see a pattern on how the hair flows around the face.

Other than that, a fairly well rounded group of skins.

How do you make curves in whatever program(s) you use?
With time and patience,.... :D

I basically make curved edges the same way a computer does, through very short segments of straight lines. The next time you see a spider's web look a little closer and you'll notice that all the curved designs are created through short strands of straight webbing. Reminds me of my geometry courses in highschool when we had to create an arc, on a grid, using nothing but plotted points and straight lines. And remember, all things will come with time and patience.

For the Hoth Soldier, try to make a Rifle on his back. For your next model PM me and ill tell you what it should be, It'll be a secret project....
I just created the skin, not the model. The model is one of the originals incuded with the game. There are lot's of things I would add if I could alter them, unfortunately, I can't. At least not yet anyway.
the facial hair that you have on those is quite poor. It looks like someone used the spraypaint tool in MS Paint to make that.
Damn, I thought that the facial hair came out looking pretty good,.... :(

http://wat.midco.net/eggnog1/trooperface.jpg

Originally posted by HapSlash

...Damn, I thought that the facial hair came out looking pretty good,.... :(

Hapslash, the facial hair looks absolutely fine. I honestly can't see anything wrong with your Hoth Rebels skins. I guess from a Modeler's or Skinner's point of view... they'll always find something that can be improved upon. Its their nature. But from an average gamer's point of view, this skin is perfect. You've definitely captured the Hoth Rebels look. Good job. :)

Kman, did you even look at the pic? I can see the detail, the flow of hair, and the varying degrees of color and highlights.

I have a few issues with the skins myself, one being that the beard doesn't blend in quite as well as I'd like around the edges (or almost blends in too well?). The other is the model isn't quite padded enough for the jacket.

However, both are very minor issues. While one is a texture issue and not even a very big change, the one with the model is something I don't expect any skinner to deal with, unless he has the resources and motivation available to him.

Overall, these are some pretty good skins, Hap.

Ok, look at the pic to see what I am talking about.

hoth_fix.jpg

I assume your program has a 'smudge' tool.

The mustache part is ok, but the direction of the hair on the side of his face is going straight down, which does not happen. the red arrows represent the direction the hair should be flowing. Also the lighting you have on the hair is not helping it either. You have the same level of brightness all over the facial hair. You should have certain areas that are darker than others, light does not hit hair at the same spots all over.

Now the goggles- There is a definite lack of detail in the rims, also they are too bright. The game engine will brighten just about everything. Also the visor you have over the eyes is really bad.

I would recommend using a shader to get that glass effect. Make the face area the same as if you were going to do as if the glass wasnt there. add shadows from the rims, and then darken the whole area however much you would think the glass would take the light off of. Create an alpha chanel for the visor area and then make a shader to have that part fill in with an env map reflection that will overlay the face behind it.

Actually the hair on the side of the face doesn't go straight down, never did. It kinda looks that way in the shot I took, mainly because of modview & my crappy video card. It actually flows close to the same angle as the mustache.

I'll admit to the goggles looking pretty crappy up close, but in game the're not too horribly bad, they are about the right brightness though. I had done some work on them for a different head, but haven't gotten around to putting them on the trooper.

I also thought about doing the work with the shaders, but have no idea on how to do it. I've only worked with shaders once in the past, and it took me days just to get a simple transparent one to work.

Archived