Home

Hyperspace...how does it work?

Guest Dorsk8199

Guest Dorsk8199

I'm wondering what all the calculations are doing for them. Can you turn and manuver while in hyperspace or is it just a straight line kinda thing? If it's just a straight line then what are they calculating? You can only go straight and you don't ever see them making more than one jump in the movies. I just don't get it. If you can turn while in hyperspace then why would you ever make more then one jump? You don't have to throw people off if you can turn. AHHHHHHHHHH!:explode:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Dorsk8199

So they calculate and say well yep we are gonna run into a star no hyperspace for us. What? They do all these calculations and then go in the same straight line that they were gonna go in anyway. I've never seen them have a star in their way before. It doesn't make sense. Think about it.

They calculate the jump to hyperspace so they don't run in to everything. They calculate the movement of stars, astroids, and planets so they do't run into them and vaporize. Sure there is always a chance on running into a rogue astroid or something but I'm the benefits outway the consequences :)

Guest Dorsk8199

I understand what they are calculating I just don't get why. If they calculate all that stuff why do they always go in the same straight line no matter what? That's the part that doesn't make sense.

Originally posted by Dorsk8199

I understand what they are calculating I just don't get why. If they calculate all that stuff why do they always go in the same straight line no matter what? That's the part that doesn't make sense.

They go in a straight line because a straight line is he fastest way between two points.

They calculate all that stuff to see whats the safest straight line to travel in. :)

Guest Dorsk8199

Ok you are a genious. I want you to do something for me. Get out a piece of paper. Draw two dots a few inches away from each other. Now draw two different straight lines that connect the two points.

Ok you are a genious. I want you to do something for me. Get out a piece of paper. Draw two dots a few inches away from each other. Now draw two different straight lines that connect the two points.

Listen, I'm only trying to help you. If you are going to be an ass about it then forget you! :mad:

BTW When ships travel in space it's 3d not 2d :rolleyes:

Guest Dorsk8199

I'm trying to find an answer to my question. Not just some quick spat out thing that doesn't even make sense. I'm sorry if you got upset but I think even you can see how little sense your post made. Hopefully someone will come along who does know the answer.

I'm trying to find an answer to my question. Not just some quick spat out thing that doesn't even make sense. I'm sorry if you got upset but I think even you can see how little sense your post made. Hopefully someone will come along who does know the answer.

Well i don't what you want to know. Masta and me told you they do all that calculations so they don't run into a Star or something. They go in a Straight line because it is the fastest point and because moving in hyperspace is too tricky.

Guest Boba Rhett

*comes in and blows a whistle*

Alright you two, seperate corners, now!

Let's not turn this into a fight guys. :)

I see what Dorsk is getting at. Say if the falcon was jumping from Endor to Coruscant, they always end up right in from of Coruscant. Now, how could they make a straight line right to it if there was things they could hit? So they obviously must be turning somehow in hyperspace.

cool down, folks.

Han Solo gave what was to be the 'official workings' of hyperspace calculation when they were chased out of Tatooine in Ep. 4. He basically said that without the proper course-setting (which had to be calculated), they could run into a star or something. If a star happened to be in the way of your ship and you had to make the jump to hyperspace, in the books they made several jumps to compensate. In the films they only showed the first jumps, always. Doesn't mean there weren't more jumps after that..

Originally posted by Paragon_Leon

cool down, folks.

Han Solo gave what was to be the 'official workings' of hyperspace calculation when they were chased out of Tatooine in Ep. 4. He basically said that without the proper course-setting (which had to be calculated), they could run into a star or something. If a star happened to be in the way of your ship and you had to make the jump to hyperspace, in the books they made several jumps to compensate. In the films they only showed the first jumps, always. Doesn't mean there weren't more jumps after that..

Yeah they could make more jumps, but they could also make a jump at a different angle so to avoid hazards.

has any one read the xwing book???

They say in there, they do all of thouse calculations so that they can find the fastes strait line with out runing into anything. Also they say that they make more then one jump, even if they could travel to the planet or place they want with only one jump.

space is a big empty thing. Most of the time if you want to you could draw a strait line in space to get from one place to another with out runing into anything, but that is not always the case, in which case you would have to make another jump. You can't turn in hyperspace, they say they travel in strait lines and make more then one jump if needed.

Yes Dorsk8199 if you travel in a strait line you would only need to calculat the jump once, that is way there are very highly used trade routes. And would you want to make sure nothing was in your way if you woun't be able to see it until you die. Please try to make more sence out of your question before you ask it to.

Guest Dorsk8199

That's the kind of answer I was looking for. Thanks Wraith. What is the X-wing book you refer to. Is that to a game like X-wing vs Tie fighter or is there a game just called X-wing? Thanks for the help.

Guest dvader07

Ok, you guys, lets think about this. You are moving too fast in hyperspace to turn so that means you have to go straight. Secondly, the planets and comets, and all other sorts of space debris move in some sort of orbit or drift. There really isn't anything that is stationary in space (except stars, and they might be rotating around bigger stars). This means that if you are going to make the jump to lightspeed, you need to calculate the orbit and movement of all these things to make sure that there wouldn't be anything in your path. Now, you are right borsk to say that there is only one way to go from point a to point b in a straight line, but a planet or a system is not a tiny little point. You could jump to the right of the planet, the left of the planet, above the planet, below the planet, and if it is a system then there a lot more possiblities for where to end your jump. I don't think that they would be against using their primary drives to get from the end of their jump to their final destination if it wasn't that far. And then in the end, if you could'nt find a straight path (or if you were worried about someone following you) you would just have to make multiple jumps. That is how it works.

Originally posted by dvader07

Ok, you guys, lets think about this. You are moving too fast in hyperspace to turn so that means you have to go straight. Secondly, the planets and comets, and all other sorts of space debris move in some sort of orbit or drift. There really isn't anything that is stationary in space (except stars, and they might be rotating around bigger stars). This means that if you are going to make the jump to lightspeed, you need to calculate the orbit and movement of all these things to make sure that there wouldn't be anything in your path. Now, you are right borsk to say that there is only one way to go from point a to point b in a straight line, but a planet or a system is not a tiny little point. You could jump to the right of the planet, the left of the planet, above the planet, below the planet, and if it is a system then there a lot more possiblities for where to end your jump. I don't think that they would be against using their primary drives to get from the end of their jump to their final destination if it wasn't that far. And then in the end, if you could'nt find a straight path (or if you were worried about someone following you) you would just have to make multiple jumps. That is how it works.

YES!! Thats what I was meaning when I said you can jump from different angles! (I just didn't want to type it all out like you did :D)

is hyperspace some sort of parrell deminsion or something or is it going really fast? where do the swirls in hyperspace come from?:confused:

Guest Dorsk8199

Do you know which X-wing book specifically? I've read Rogue Squadron through the Bacta Wars. I also read one Wraith Squadron (the one where face gets his scar fixed) and I've read I, Jedi.

About the different angles, that would be like less than 1% of a degree when you think about the distance they are traveling the angle would be very minute and to go at angle to get around a star you would have to make two jumps becuase you would be pretty far away from your system by the end. That is unless the star was very close to your final destination.

About the different angles, that would be like less than 1% of a degree when you think about the distance they are traveling the angle would be very minute and to go at angle to get around a star you would have to make two jumps becuase you would be pretty far away from your system by the end. That is unless the star was very close to your final destination.

That is true. But you have to remember this is SW, don't take it to seriously :)

Guest Tie Guy

Do you know which X-wing book specifically? I've read Rogue Squadron through the Bacta Wars. I also read one Wraith Squadron (the one where face gets his scar fixed) and I've read I, Jedi.

Ok, Dorsk, draw a 1 degree angle....and then stretch it to be millions upon millions of miles long, and you will see how much of a change there is. Of course, a 1 degree change doesn't make any difference over an inch, or even a mile, but we are dealing with many, many lightyears, where it does make a huge difference.

Also, Hyperspace is entered by twisting realspace, and its gravity. That is why a mass shadow pulls you out, your hyperdrive can not handle that much gravity, and it has to revert back to realspace. That is why it can damage your hyperdrive, a large amount of gravity strains the generator. How you go faster in hyperspace i do not know, but i think it is because space is compressed, but i'm not sure. Its just a movie after all.

Archived