Home

WIP: Sidious\Palpatine very early model

Adonai Saboath

Central Jersey? Definately GO!

The exhibit ends July 7th and it's $10.

I thought I was fine since I had a digiatl camera, but instead of running out of film, I ran out of batteries >:(

The cloth is really grainy, kind of like long-john material. While I was looking (in awe) at The Emperor's Robes I was thinking about the model you're making and wondering wether Toonces would like to check this out. I'm really glad you're concerned with making all these things right with the model. This is my most desired character model and it seems like you're going to do it the way I would have imagined doing it.

I'm starting to learn about editing stuff in this game myself. I decided to make a bot for a Han Solo skin that I downloaded, and right now I'm trying to give him custom sounds. Unfortunately I can't get the sounds to work and at this point I honestly do not know what I've done wrong. After I learn how to do that (simple) stuff, I'm going to give a go at model making. I am an artist, but I have no idea how I'll do with 3dsmax.

Keep up the good work, it is looking great.

You will go to the Exhibit. The Emperor has forseen it.

-nomad

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost perfect..but I think the nose/mouth is looking just a little bit off. In pictures the nose is much fatter around the bridge, and the tip is more round and knobby-looking(but that's more of a model issue). Also, the mouth looks a bit too pronounced, almost like he's holding an orange in the front of his mouth. It think the innermost cheek creases might be a little too far from the mouth. He just doesn't have that evil Mr. Rogers smirk. :D

Its kind of hard to put my finger on..but a good idea that someone tried in the Padme thread when the face wasn't looking right was to take a screenshot of the skinned face from the same angle as an actual photo(like the high res one I posted). Then, on the photo, draw straight lines marking the sides and top of the nose, mouth, eyes, cheeks, chin, and any other pronounced creases or features, and apply those same lines to the screenshot of your model and see how everything lines up.

Most of this stuff is just little nitpicks, but I'm guessing that after putting so much work into this model you want to make it as perfect as humanly possible, so this will be the only sidious/palpatine model and skin anyone will ever look for.

I foresee this becoming the greatest of all models... :emperor:

The eye texture isn't quite finished yet, but the eyes are definatly yellow, I'm going to make the eyes a little more bloodshot, it should give a more convincing look

Inbredyokel, that perspective trick is a good idea, I'll give it a shot and see what I can get. :) That'll help with the mouth

I haven't really detailed the noze just yet, I beleive the part at the tip your noticeing is mostly the skin, the bridge however might be a diffrent story, I'll flatten it out a bit and see what happens :D

More to come :D

CT :lightning

I've actually heard that the sun may be made of a type of broccoli.

It has some similar moleculer make-up within it's protien structure and the photon pattern of certain light waves tastes very good with cheese which has led to some scientists hypothesizing that the sun may in fact be made of some form of green vegetable and most probably a distant relative of broccoli. So, you'll be happy to know, that by eating a minimum of 2 grams of sun each day, a person's chances of getting cancer is reduced immeasurably.

Er, at least that's what I read on the internet.

Nomad, any protein on the sun would be immediately denatured once it got withing a few tenths of an astronomical unit. Also, broccoli are made of primarily cellulose and a bit of glucose, not protein.

Also, photons don't have discernible patterns, nor do they travel in any structure that would have a recognizable structure.

Before you ask, I was aware that you were speaking in jest but I chose to educate you.

No, I haven't yet gone to college. I'm just a learned fellow.

Anyways, I can't seem to see the WIP screenshot. Is something wrong with the page?

Oh, and a little bit on indesputable evidence that Sidious=Palpatine....

They wear the same clasp on their hood.

They also walk the same. In TPM, Sidious walks on Coruscant with his hands held in front of him a certain way... when Palpatine walks with Anakin in AOTC, he walks the same way. In ROTJ, he also walks with Vader the same way.

Hmm, the links work fine for me, go to http://www.boomspeed.com/toonces They are on the main page, just scroll down a bit.

Might as well add a little update while I'm here :D

I'm weighting the mesh right now, gonna check out how he deforms and such. I've pulled the hood out front a bit more, as well as bunched it up a tiny bit over the shoulders. The body looks much better now, I'll post another shot soon to show the changes :D

Thanks Dalhectar :D

scroll back a page and check out one of my earlier shots. I have to model the sleeves backwards because of the skeleton, the actual sleeves are really long and baggy. As soon as I'm finished weighting I'll put him in a pose where you can see them well. They should look quite good ingame :)

Back to weighting :(

I'm definatly going to darken the sides and top of his face and head to get that effect, as well as add a very dark texture to the inside of the hood. I can't texture anything but the face until I get him weighted, I'm a little stuck on that now sadly :( I'll work it out though :D

Still looking great Toonces, can't wait. Just wanted to bump this up near the top again, and for the 2nd time address the Sidious/Palpatine issue. READ THE BOOKS or VISIT FAN SITES. Palpatine is indeed Sidious, let me guess what's next: There's only 6 episodes of Star Wars right? (For those that don't know, there are 9).

Well, I vented; keep up the good work Toonces.

great work, something about his face still doesn't strike me as Ian McDarmid (or however you spell it). Cant quite put my finger on it, think maybe the area between the lip and nose is off somehow.

Still unsure though, who knows, theres some twist coming up, maybe its not the emperor/palpatine controversy, maybe the emperor is related to someone or something. but it has to do with the emperor, whatever lucas' sick twist is. and thats right, 9 episodes. hope Digital Technology gets better so they wont need the real actors in the last 3 movies so they can reproduce the old actors. I want them to make all 9, but if you've seen Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher lately, you know thats not happening any time soon :p --the funny thing is, McDairmid looks like he hasnt aged a day.

Actually, sorry to burst your bubble, but there won't be 9 movies. That was Lucas' original plan, but he has stated repeatedly over the past several years that Episode 3 will be the last Star Wars movie, period. His current vision is that the Star Wars movie saga is the story of the downfall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker.

Maybe his plans will change in the future for 3 more movies, but for now, don't count on it.

And to stay on topic--- Toonces, that face looks VERY good! I can't wait to see this finished, I can tell it's going to be a great model!

There aren't 9. That whole storyline was scrapped around ROTJ. 7 was originally about Luke becoming a Jedi. 8 was about Luke going to the Dark Side. 9 was the first appearance of the Emperor.

That was all changed when he made ROTJ, and Lucas has no plans to make any further episodes.

Yeah, that would be nice :D Who knows, maby down the road we'll be able to add that animation to the game. While I have access to a copy of Softimage, and a pretty good understanding of how to animate in Max, we have to wait for Raven to start talking to us about animation first.

It looks like Sithlord-ii solved my problems, I was having trouble with the skin modifier, I think I've got it now. Thanks again Sith :D

Anyway, I'm going to put the finishing touches on the model in the next couple days, then all that's left to do it UVmap and Weight, and the in-game testing will begin :)

Need zzz's badly

http://www.drivingcatstudios.com

Archived