Home

MSVC/Any compiler not needed for coding?

Commodus

Am I right in thinking that you don't really need Visual C++ or a compiler of any kind to make mods for JO? Because you can already open the .c and .h files with notepad (it doesn't display as gibberish) and you can change them into QVMs simply with the BAT files.

Did I get this right or have I missed something out?

Originally posted by Commodus

Am I right in thinking that you don't really need Visual C++ or a compiler of any kind to make mods for JO? Because you can already open the .c and .h files with notepad (it doesn't display as gibberish) and you can change them into QVMs simply with the BAT files.

Did I get this right or have I missed something out?

Yes, that is correct. You don't need MSVC for this. (Read my "*README* Resources & Help" thread)

Well - it's not only for checking for mistakes in the code. The development tools also help you analyze existing code.

For example - if I want to find out when a particular part of the code get's run, you can just put a breakpoint in and when that part of the code is run, the game is halted at that exact point and that code line is highlighted.

Then, if you want, you can step through the code line by line - see what execution paths are being followed and examine all the variables involved, see how their changing as the code runs etc etc.

The useful-ness of this should not be under-estimated, especially when trying to decipher mysterious code!! :)

Archived