Home

NPCs Leave Bots in Dust -- Info. for Padawan's and Jedi Masters

Nobodi Kenobi

Like may of you, I play online with real human oponents (dueling) and practice with bots on the various maps (those that support them).

Trouble is, like many have stated before, the bots, even on Jedi Master setting always RUN away from you as if they don't want to get hurt. In addition, they block a lot more often then they attack which is good for your offensive skills (force or no force), but when battling real human opponents, it has always been my experience that defense is half of winning the match and placing your shots (depending on your stance) with as little damage done to yourself as possible.

Anyway, the solution to this -- which has been mentioned before, but I thought I would start a thread for all the Padawan's just getting into the game -- Is to simply start a single player game, type "map x" in the console (shift + ~) and use the NPC (Non Player Character) spawn command to create an opponent like Desann or Tavion or even one, two or three reborns depending on the size of the map.

This of course involves using cheat codes so the best way to do this is to make an autoexec.cfg file with the line:

helpusobi 1

in it along with binds for spawning NPCs such as

bind d npc spawn desann

bind t npc spawn tavion

bind r npc spawn reborn

For the various reborn types just add their class:

bind x npc spawn rebornacrobat

bind y npc spawn rebornfencer

bind z npc spawn rebornboss

You can of course spawn any NPC enemey -- Enemy because the allies like Luke and Jedi Trainer won't attack you and just stand there -- this way as long as you know their name.

This works on all MP maps (FFA, TFFA, Duel) and especially CUSTOM maps that don't have bot AI paths/waypoints -- The ones where the bots jump around like they are on crack and don't really fight you or each other.

Another bonus is that you can get the "hidden" stances -- Tavion's and Dessan's stances -- If you put:

setforceall 5

in the config file as well.

In closing, while the new commands (Ghoul2/sabertracesaberfirst) enhance real, online MP play, the duels you get using the "map and NPC" combination is infinitely more fun in my opinion and if not better practice for real MP duels/games than the repetitive, back-peddling bots included with the MP component.

Peace :)

P.S. -- I forgot to add that this is in no way a comprehensive guide on how to actually practice the way I practice.

I simply put the basics of what you can do just to let those who may want to know more ask on this thread and I will help them.

Also, whenever you change maps using the "map x" command (where X is the map name, I.E. ffa_yavin) you MUST then type in the console "exec autoexec.cfg" in order for the game to recognize your NPC binds and other settings because it essentially resets itself each time you go to a new map.

here's a list of all enemy npc's:

tavion

reelo

galak

galak_mech

desann

gran

gran2

granshooter

granboxer

rodian

rodian2

weequay

weequay2

weequay3

weequay4

Trandoshan

StormTrooper

StormTrooper2

STOfficer

StormPilot

STOfficerAlt

STCommander

SwampTrooper

SwampTrooper2

RocketTrooper

Imperial

ImpOfficer

ImpCommander

ImpWorker

ImpWorker2

ImpWorker3

RebornAcrobat

Reborn

RebornForceUser

RebornFencer

RebornBoss

ShadowTrooper

ShadowTrooper2

Howler

MineMonster

remote

sentry

interrogator

probe

mark1

mark2atst

have fun!

Wow...

I know I posted to you on another thread about this, but I just wanted to bump this up top. This is probably the coolest and most inspiring bit of information I've ever come across on this list. Thanks for sharing with us.

:)

I...think you could also edit the bot files...I've kinda glanced at them, and I think it's possible to edit their "emotions" i.e.; their likely hood to attack, and to run...

I'll go look again

-edit- Yea...can't you just screw with those numbers in the npcs.cfg in the assets0.pk3? (I just looked at it)

-------------

Wow, I REALLY want to remove all that text...what the HELL was I thinking...those are the friggin NPCs *sigh* I should go to bed, I feel ****ing stupid now...the file has nothing to do with MP...

Note to self: Think before typing

Also if you want two friendly NPC's to attack each other here's what you do

1: Spawn Luke and Jedi Trainer (for example)

2: Spawn a Rebel (or something friendly and easy to kill)

3: Kill the rebel

4: Turn Notarget on and watch

and for 2 enemies to attack each other

1: Turn Notarget on

2: Spawn 2 reborn (for example)

3: Mind Trick one reborn and get it to attack the other

4: Exit mind trick and watch

Originally posted by Soulless

Also if you want two friendly NPC's to attack each other here's what you do

1: Spawn Luke and Jedi Trainer (for example)

2: Spawn a Rebel (or something friendly and easy to kill)

3: Kill the rebel

4: Turn Notarget on and watch

and for 2 enemies to attack each other

1: Turn Notarget on

2: Spawn 2 reborn (for example)

3: Mind Trick one reborn and get it to attack the other

4: Exit mind trick and watch

Lol

If you are still keen about playing bots in multiplayer, turning on the Ghoul2 saber variable (which is on in singleplayer, but off in multiplayer) makes the bots much more difficult and closer to singleplayer. This can be done by using the following command:

seta g_saberghoul2collision 1

Give a tray and see what you think.

The simplest way is to modify the npcs.cfg file. It is located in the assets0.pk3, under the pathname

ext_data\

If you open the assets0.pk3 with your favorite unzipping utility, just look for that file and extract a copy to the desktop or wherever. Right click on it, select properties, and deselect the "Read Only" status. Then open it with Notepad, and start modifying. There's a legend of what each command line does at the top of the file.

When you're finished, save the file and make a folder called "ext_data" and place the file in there. If you know how to make a PK3 file with a zip program that keeps the relative pathname of the folder, then do that and place it in the Gamedata\base folder of your JK2 program.

If you don't know how to make a PK3, go to this site and download a small freeware utility called Pakscape...

http://www.effiles.com/file.info?1327

It's a drag and drop PK3 creator that's super easy to use. You can also edit the PK3 in a Windows Explorer type interface. Download and intall this, open it and create a new file, then grab your ext_data folder and drag it into the Pakscape window. Now save this in the Gamedata\base folder of your JK2 program (default location is C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\)... and Voila! Better and badder NPCs..

Now you're not going to be able to completely change a stormtrooper into acting like a reborn boss this way, but you can seriously tweak and enhance the base NPC stats. To actually change an NPC dramatically, one needs to download the Raven SDK Tools packages, install them, and read the ICARUS manual on how to use BehaveED. Then start editing the SP script files that come with the download, and inserting them into custom PK3s.

If you read the manual, you'll discover that a NPCs default behavior state is dictated by the type of weapon they are using. IE, an NPC assigned a saber will act like a Jedi; a NPC with a disruptor will act like sniper; etc. And the weapon an NPC spawns in with is assigned when the level is built with a Radiant program. These can be changed after the fact by editing the level's scripts though...

85% of what you'll want to do can be done by just modifying the ext_data\npcs.cfg file though. Have fun!

;)

Archived