Home

No hack, I can fly!

NightFallMyriad

I been fooling around lately, and well, I discovered how you can fly in JK2. Or at the very least, glide to safety.

It began when I first read somewhere that you could use the blue special move (the lunge attack) in midair. So then I got to practising doing a backflip/lunge attack. Very cool.

Recently however, I've made a very interesting discovery: There is in fact a hidden special attack after the first lunge. To get it, you have to perform two lunges in succession. The first lunge will be the normal lunge, but the second will include a twist in the saber. It almost looks like you quickly slash the ground, then twilr your saber. It happens very fast, but I noticed something very very useful about it... you can turn while doing it.

That's right. Just like in the pre-patch days. The first lunge is always linear, but for some unknown reason, the second lunge allows you to change direction while doing it. If you do a wristflick, you can do an about face and really surprise your opponent. Plus it looks extra 1337.

But what about the flying, you ask? Well, I was fighting a jedi_student in the massassi temple and I noticed that I could save myself some fall damage by performing the lunge at the very last moment after jumping from the outer high ledges. Then I wondered, how far can I stretch this little bug?

So I started up the nar shaddaa streets map. I went to the very top corner and rolled off aiming for the large area below. At the very last second I lunged...

No damage. Not a single scratch. Nothing.

I tried it without the roll and it was a 94 damage fall.

I tried it again and again and its fool proof. I imagine that with some practise, you could never take any fall damage at all.

Then I wondered if perhaps you could perform multiple lunges along your fall to really slow your descent. So I held down crouch-attack and forward and to my surprise, my character did the first lunge, and on the second, he froze up and just glided where ever I moved.

It sounds really wierd too because the computer thinks he's doing a million lunges at once for some reason. It sounds really really gay when you're using Luke by the way...

"ugh, ugh, ugh, ugh, ugh..."

You need some room to do it, but on a map like NS streets, grip whores got nothing now. You can just glide to safety. Don't try to sneak up on anyone cuz the constant grunting gives you away.

Seriously, try it! It's really cool!

But it's so fun to watch. I was in a game and I showed them all how to do it.

Everyone was gliding around grunting like madmen.

DBZ anyone?

LOL.

I'm not going to report it, no one listens to me, but if you want to, feel free. This kind of bug is just the kind of thing to usher in a new patch.

1. Nothing can really be gained from doing this, other than stop yourself from getting hurt from a fall.

2. If Raven isn't working on any future patches, why did they tell us they are? Why did they release some of the 1.03a source with the SDK? Oh, I guess they just made a new patch and aren't releasing it, right? :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, this exploit has been out for quite a while now.

I myself have been using it just to be annoying (yes, I admit it's lame) but whenever I play seriously, I'm hardly on blue stance anyawy and forget to switch to 'float'.

There's no use complaining to Raven since they're not doing any more patches. There are a few mods out there which remove this floating which is good.

I have yet to check if this works on that new JK2: Fan Mod (check http://www.jk2files.com).

I noticed with this mod, you can't move freely while backstabbing, which helped you get rid of that guy's health faster by aiming-backstab.

If someone has tested the Float exploit on the JK2: Fan mod, can you please post the results?

Thanks

wow, i didn't think it would work. one day i found myself at the very top of ns_streets looking down on all the action. i wanted to get down pronto and remembered this trick. it may not have been the most stylish descent, but it turned out to be a great tool for ns_streets. kudos!

I figured people would know about being able to miss out on fall damage by performing a last minute lunge. It makes sense right? I mean, you can do the lunge any time.

I just think that if they do patch (I know, I know, they aren't going to, blah blah blah...), then they should at least mess with the physics a bit to prevent that. Sure it's a cool little trick, but it's hardly realistic.

What surprises me is that you guys found out about the gliding bug. I think it's wierd. You can have all sorts of fun with that one.

What really has a lot of potential though is the ability to turn while executing the alt. lunge. I'm calling it that because its not really the same lunge. Has a saber twirl in it or something, different animation than the normal lunge.

But you can turn! I think there are some great possibilities with it.

This has been out for awhile (ever since the original release) and I tell how to do it (thanks to it being sent in awhile ago) on Outcast Strategy.

The only other way to avoid falling damage completely is to use Protect. I don't have a real problem with it (it's very useful and takes proper timing in the heat of battle). Though I hear it was removed in the 1.03a source code. In MotS you got the same effect with Force Farsight (making it an actual worthwhile power!).

Originally posted by Blamer

Yeah, seriously, I don't see any problem with the glide whatsoever, all the big drops in maps are "bottomless pits" that will kill you no matter what...

Actually they arent bottomless pits.They are just very deep pits.

Yes, I've mapped before and I know full well that the pits aren't literally "bottomless." However, since they are special regions that trigger the "fade to black" falling animation, I will call them bottomless pits since that is the effect the game engine is trying to replicate. The other reason I used the term "bottomless pit," which I'm afraid was not technical enough for certain people here, is that even if you get near the bottom safely via the floating move you will still die before you hit the bottom; therefore for practical gameplay reasons the pits can be considered "bottomless."

Heh, I just tried that out and it actually worked!I thought it wouldn't.But I never heard ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ughugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ughugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ughugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh

ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh

ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh............

Ok, yesterday I was just playing Narshadda streets and this guyu sees me "flying" I tell him I'm gliding.Then he says"BLAH BLAH BLAH!"Actually he said"CHEATER!"...I wanna know If this TRULY a cheat because I think it is a bug that makes ppl complain!Ok, minus the complain.Then I see this other guy doing the same thing and he says that that guy isn't CHEATING .Tell me, is this truly a cheat?

Note:If your driving in a chevy and you feel something.....DIAREA!

i would define a cheat as anything that modifies the game to the player's advantage (wallhacking, aimbotting, etc.). the lunge was coded this way so that you could do it at any time, even in the air. it's not a cheat, just an exploit.

Archived