Home

1.03 (GSD) rocks! I fell back in love with JK2 last night ...

QuietSith

I saw this server:

[WA] DM Server (GSD Enabled)|67ms|207.0.55.65:28070

And I thought - oh GSD - Ghoul 2, SaberTrace off, and Dismemberment on.

Also, another person on the forum advised me that kicks aren't really nerfed - just different, and you can now mid-air kick. It's true, double tap jump in mid-air and you can air kick, it's quite amazing and very fun.

A person said if you have a hard time kicking with the space bar - also bind kick to a key that you can use with a regular finger (in my case I double tap a for kick and space once to jump).

Well, the server was ultra stable and is still up.

Wow, what a rush! In fact, the saber combat and the entire feel of the game, with those settings, is far more challenging and fun than I ever had in 1.02 - I felt in complete control of my Saber - plus I could enable EAX (which is really cool sounding and helpful).

GSD 1.03 is win!

Here's the Server:

[WA] DM Server (GSD Enabled)|82ms|207.0.55.65:28070

Notice it says GSD Enabled.

G = Ghoul 2

S = Sabertrace 0

D = Dismemberment

If you run a server and use those options be sure to put that in the name of your server.

Who ever runs that server - great job!

Here's how you run GSD:

seta g_sabertracesaberfirst 0 - (1 is default) - Makes (S)aber fighting less defensive, and more offensive - such as in 1.02 - yet you still have the super tight control of 1.03 with either 1 or 0.

seta g_saberghoul2collision 1 - (0 is default) - Turns on (G)houl 2 for very realistic damage areas - also prevents one hit kill backstabbing/assfighting.

seta g_dismember 300 - Set this for server and client and you can cut off body parts and basically (D)ismember them. =)

Notice what the GSD stands for:

G - Ghoul 2

S - SaberTrace Off

D - Dismemberment

If you only ran Ghoul 2 and Dismemberment (for example):

Put in:

(GD Enabled) or (GD)

If you enable them all, put in:

(GSD Enabled) or (GSD)

Enjoy 1.03 now. Power to the server admins and people for doing what it takes to make this game the best around! :)

Yes, I know I keep pushing this - but you must realize - this IS the answer to the backstab and for both 1.02 and 1.03 players who want very realistic saber combat (of course 1.03'ers who enjoy more defense can leave saber trace on - with the appropriate initial removed).

MOH:AA had this problem of not being realistic enough for most people - being able to pump 10 bullets and hardly killing someone. A few server side mods were developed that made the bullets much more deadly.

Well, in order for people to find these they had to name their servers - as an unofficial community rule - with initials or or type of mod, example:

(Realism)

(CKR Realism)

(Realism Mod)

In our case we are very fortunate that these aren't even mod variables (the admin doesn't have to download anything to get them to work - except for the patch) for JK2 (GSD) ... they simply need to be enabled and admins need to put the letters in the name of the servers so people can find them.

I hope admins are listening.

These variables and using them properly to communicate with clients (that you are running them) will truly save the game and the community.

Thank you.

If you ever experience lag try this:

Shift ~ = console

rate 10000 = A setting in-between DSL/Cable/ISDN

Rate 10000 is a good rule of thumb for all Q3 type games if you experience slight lag due to a server being overloaded.

Originally posted by Prime

I'll add my 2 cents and highly recommend this type of server. I also am back in love with JO. It makes bots much more fun as well. Cheers.

Awesome! Spread the word!

I wish the moderators would sticky this.

I'm not trying to get attention - I just want to see this done so we can save the community and bring back the fun in JK2.

P.S.

I'm "NewBJedi" .. I lost my password. :(

My support here, QuietSith. I don't own a server but I help to spread the word wherever I can.

Server Admins: enable Ghoul2, do exactly what QuietSith said. It enhances saber combat and adds to the gameplay.

Some people said that this is what Raven would have put in a 1.04 patch if LucasArts would have allowed them to release another patch.

It is what the community was waiting for.

Have fun and post your experiences with Ghoul2.

I agree! GSD is excellent!

Alternatively, if you have time, try downloading this MOD.

JK2: FAN Mod

It automatically sets up what "the fans/people" wanted.

So, there's GSD, you also can turn on double blad lightsaber if you want, can turn off that annoying red force grip effect look, have a NEW move called 'evade' to dodge fire fights (and then jump back up) etc. etc.

http://www.jk2files.com/file.info?3139

Definitely check it out. I've been playing this MOD regularly.

Much more difficult which adds a whole new perspective.

Does anyone run a server?

I'm curious about the following command:

In the server console do this:

gamename "GSD"

More info on what I'm talking about:

"gamename "baseq3" display the game name for TC's basedir would be other than baseq3 S R"

http://keen.gameadmins.com/variables.html

If you notice in ASE or GS3D, or GSA for Quake 3 and JK2, if you look under ruleset "gamename" they have the name of the mod - that way people can filter for it.

If we do this for GSD and the fanmod people can filter for via browsers. =)

See if putting GSD in the gamename shows your server with:

gamename GSD

Instead of:

gamename baseJk2

If this is possible, I can get the author of ASE to add GSD and Fanversion (when the fan version author decides on a game name) so we can filter for servers running those automatically.

Ideally, we'd develop a pak with a series of configs.

All the server admin would have to do is execute the config - i..e gsd.cfg - each config would report gamename and we could filter that way.

Ideally we'd have one mod - such as the fan version one - that enables these features and reports gamename for filtering.

I hope that wasn't too confusing.

Excellent suggestion!!

I was wondering if it would be possible to mod these settings to be reported a s a rule outside the game to allow filtering with the all seeing eye. (a custom filter)

By altering the game name we dont have to mod anything hopefully. We can just run name searches or create custom filters that find game names or server titles with GSD in them!

It will take the cooperation of every admin running these configurations to alter the game name or server name, but most admins that run ghoul2 are very enthusiastic about promoting this type of gameplay.

This is the ONLY way to fight with sabers as far as I'm concerned with the exception of the saber trace on or off which is up to preference of blocking. But the Ghoul2 is a must! It brings skill back into the game and is the solution to the spamming of all the specials becuase they now must be accurate to cause full damage. Ghoul2 IS the solution to assfighting becuase you can't walk backwards to hit anything. The great thing about ghoul2 hit detection is that it doesnt NERF any of the moves!! It just requires more skill to be effective with them becuase they can be blocked by parries.

Thank you to all the admins that host servers with these settings!

I make it a point to say thank you to every admin I find while I'm playing and reccomend the GSD title.

I have already conviced 2 admins to host these settings for duel servers and they BOTH said it was the best games they have played since the release of the game!

Please give a thanks out to any admin you find and spread the word!

Please post another topic if you find a affective way to create a custom filter in theallseeingeye server browser for the game title.

Although the server title may be just as effective for searches, having the game title altered with GSD would be great for making a check box filter that refreshes all the servers at the same time with out typing anything in. Thanks, Gadget

Hmm. Can't download the mod as the final download link seems to be broken....

So will have to try enabling GSD via the shortcut.

Have tried putting the following after the exe in the shortcut [outside the quotes of course]:

+set g_saberghoul2clollision 1; +set g_dismember 100; +set g_sabertracesaberfirst 0

But doesn't seem to have any effect [tested it with bots].

I'm glad to hear this helps a lot with the huge backstab and backspin

problem in saber duels.

One comment about kicks. They are already far too easy to do

and get spammed just like the backstab and backspin (although

not as often).

In a real duel you might get away with something like that once in awhile.

But there is no way you could keep trying to kick people and live.

What would happen is after the first kick, you'd get your leg cut of

if you tried it again. lol :)

The are two ways to fix this.

The most realistic way would be to allow kicks, but if the other

player has his saber at the ready (not swinging) and facing you,

then you your kick doesn't hit him and you take serious damage

from jumping into his lightsaber and are knocked down backwards.

This way it's a risky move, as it should be, and it's blockable,

you don't get a guaranteed hit.

The other easier way is to at least give servers the option to turn

off kicking if they don't want it because it gets abused so much.

Also, scripts shouldn't be used for any attacks. Duels are about

skill, if you lack the skill and coordination to execute a move manually,

then you don't deserve to execute it all.

Learn to play better, your skill is what should count in a duel, not

having the computer make moves for you.

Archived