Home

No New JK2 Patch = LucasArts Not Raven

QuietSith

You should stop blaming Raven.

"Interview with Michael Chang Gummelt

With the source code released we thought is was the right time to ask Lead Gameplay Programmer Michael Chang Gummelt some questions about... well... game play programming."

"What, if anything, would you like to say about the negative reaction by a part of the community to the latest patch?

[Raven dev response:]

I’d have to say some people have some valid points about a couple things that can be exploited and I’d love to get a few fixes out there… and some people are a bit misinformed about what the patch actually did. In the end, though, that decision is up to LucasArts, not us, so all I can do is cross my fingers with the rest of you, really."

http://modcentral.jediknightii.net/changkhan.php

This guy sounds really cool:

"[ Mike Gummelt ] Michael Chang Gummelt always thought he'd be a writer or cartoonist. As a programmer, he was a late bloomer, not owning a computer until 1986 when he got a Commodore 128. He wrote about a hundred games of various depths and complexities then dropped programming altogether once he got his Amiga 500. On the Amiga he played Raven's first game, Black Crypt, and was so impressed that he made sure to remember the name of the developer. Other favorite game developers at the time were Cinemaware and Psygnosis. He went on to be a filmmaker at NYU and MSU where he wrote several scripts and made several no-budget short films (seeing as how he was dirt-poor). When he got his first PC in 1995, he did Doom/Quake mods while skipping classes (including Aliens Doom 3: Aliens vs. Predator, Marines Doom 2, Insane Weapons Doom, and Ultimate Quake). After submitting Ultimate Quake to Raven in March of 97, he was hired to work on Hexen II as a programmer. He was married July 19, 1998 to Lynn, his girlfriend of almost ten years. Aside from Hexen II, he has worked on the Hexen II Mission Pack: Portal of Praevus, HexenWorld, Siege, Heretic II and Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force (for which he also had the pleasure of writing the screenplay). His next project is so highly classified it could cease to exist were anyone to attempt to observe it."

http://www.ravensoft.com/programming.html

He had an Amiga 500 too. =) And he worked on Raven's best games and some really cool mods.

Maybe we can get him to help out the person making the fanmod - http://www.jk2files.com/file.info?3139

His e-mail address is mgummelt@ravensoft.com

Write him and see if he can 'legally' help out "Eradicator" with the mod.

I know, I've been trying to say all this time, LEC sucks, Raven is awesome! I'm so SICK of people saying all this crap like, "OMFG ****ING RAVEN SUCH ****ING IDIOTS THEY HAVE 7 DAYS TO PATCH THE GAME BEFORE I SUE THOSE MOTHER ****ING ASS HOLES" what the hell is up with this CRAP??

Originally posted by Emon

I know, I've been trying to say all this time, LEC sucks, Raven is awesome! I'm so SICK of people saying all this crap like, "OMFG ****ING RAVEN SUCH ****ING IDIOTS THEY HAVE 7 DAYS TO PATCH THE GAME BEFORE I SUE THOSE MOTHER ****ING ASS HOLES" what the hell is up with this CRAP??

You really are special, aren't you?

Archived