Home

New Here

Naemka

Hi people,

We (Naemka & Ellerrina) are totally new here, just registered ...

As we are new to all skinning we want a bit responce of one of the first skins we have tried to make

art was done by Ellerrina and I had to make it work in the game

So any comments are welcome....

here is the shot of the skin in Duel temple room ....

(brr...)

shot3.jpg

what do ya mean, it is the third skin yes, :) ellerrina made.. one is an altered shadowtrooper, the second was tavion unveiled and this one is her first that we let see to this forum.

We are totally new to this and don't use programs like photoshop.

We would like to learn more about skinning, and putting models to work. The art is done in Fractal Design Painter , but then Ellerrina is a visual artist also :) myabe its because she draws on computer like she draws on a paper, and we were a bit afraid that the style woulnd't suit the normal skinning standards.

Well, Naemka did say it was one of his first skins. You've got to give'em credit. You can't expect it to be absolutely amazing (which in my opinion, it is basically is):)

Nice one, I can't make skins to save my life. Wondering why I'mposting in this thread actually...:(

Originally posted by Core Critical

I don't like it. I think you just painted over one of the models in the aayla skinpak. And I think Twi'lek don't have hair!

It is your full right not to like it.

Yes I changed Sirrya, but in how far is she still looking like that? It are our first try outs and if you could tell me how they do it otherwise you would make me a little smarter. 'Cause I can't believe skinners actually have to draw like this...

When you draw, for example, the leg...it is being expanded in the model itself, so you have to draw deformations, not so easy anyway.

No, Twi'lek don't have hair... But you see, as I've said in my other thread : they haven't been filming everything... she is a mix of a Twi'lek with a human (like we have mixes over here of black and white people... And therefore she was born with hair on her lekku's...There are some very pretty specimen as a result of mixing races :D

Any hints about skinning would be welcome...Do I have to turn to the modellers then to get an empty model??? And besides, I thought the drawing was there before the model? Or am I wrong here...

If you want to know about the skinning techniques of others, it might be better to start a new thread. Something like, Skinning Techniques?, or Skinning methods or something.

Just tell the people how you do it and ask them how they do it. Ask for tips and any other stuff you want to know.

High Ellerina. Since no one here seems to care about providing some info and help I will give you some tips, I hope! (also because I am please to see that you liked the Sirrya Skin and I am the one who did it:)).

First:

Models are the 3d objects and skins are the textures(paintings) that cover the 3d models.

Second:

Since the models are 3 dimensional, they are cut in pieces and mapped so that skinners understand the surfaces and know where to apply the textures. Here is picture to give you an idea. http://minestudents.pc.unicatt.it/2001/aolcelli/uvmapped.jpg

Third:

The maps(called uvmaps) are the unfolded 2 dimensional images of the parts of the model. These images is what you start with when you are "painting" a skin. Here is a link to a uvmap of the twilek face. http://minestudents.pc.unicatt.it/2001/aolcelli/face.jpg

Bare and empty! You wouldn't believe it, but all the skinners that contributed to the aayla skinpack started only with these!

finally:

It all depends on your drawing skill and patience. Drawing skills improve over time, patience you need from the start :).

Raven only released a few uvmaps of it's models. You can find them on Jediknightii.net. At this moment the file section is down so I will give you the link (if you want it) when the file section works again. I am not sure If can give out the twilek UVmaps because I didn't do the model, just a skin. You will need to ask Spacermonkey(the one who built the model) for them. I am sure he will send them to you if you ask. You can private message him, he is always in the modelling section :).

In the case of Jedi Outcast, UVmaps are often a luxury. when you don't have them it's a matter of guessing and painting over existing skins for reference. There are also dozens of tutorials on the web on skinning, keep your eyes pelled and do some research. Some of the best skinners have made very good tutorials on various aspects of skinning that are worth taking a look at.

And here is the latest skin I am working on: not much yet but with time she will be completed. http://minestudents.pc.unicatt.it/2001/aolcelli/latest.jpg

So, good luck and happy skinning! Hope to have helped you a little.

Hi Nanodagiardino,

thank you very much for your helpful reply :)

You made Sirrya???? Cool :cool: You really made a beauty here, congratz! I saw her being played on a server! If I hadn't made my own, it would have become my standard skin I guess :)

So I hope you didn't mind me using her for my own purposes, I didn't know how to do it in another way, and she was perfect for my purpose.

Aha, that's how you start, I think I could manage it, I understand the linecurves anyway :) I use Modview to see what I am doing.

Patience I have a lot and I'm still training to get more. You see, I am a visual artist since years, went to school for it and never stopped, but it is on handmade paper that I draw with colourpencils, inks and acrylic, so entirely different from skinning, yet I can use my basis of drawing for it and understand this empty model.

And I can believe they do it like that, starting with something empty, it sounds more realistic then what I did :)

Yes I would like the link for the uv maps you mentioned :) :) :) Thanks!

Also for giving me the reference to Spacemonkey, I'll ask him. Great!

The skin you are working on now, looks already damned good too, pls show it to me in a further stadium also

Whitshdw, you're right, silly me

:D

I don't mind at all! That is how I started skinning too! But then at one point I wanted to create my own skins, like I imagined them from scratch and so I tryied. It isn't very hard if you have some drawing skills(and the right program), you just need to take your time. I am very slow skinner and it took me about 1 week working 3-4 hours everyday to finish Sirrya, and I was in a rush! Some skins can take a lot more than that. The link to the raven reference skins doesn't work. I will upload them and post you the link. But remember.... take your time.

Archived