Home

Jedi's guide to Keyboard Remapping

Derisor

One of the things that I dont like, perhaps the only thing, about JK2 Outcast is the default keyboard mapping.

Lets see, forward is the arrows, ok we have a hand there. Mouse look for looking around and shooting and force powers on F1 through F8. No no no. To be a true jedi, you need to have those force powers under lighting reflex area. An area that you can get to without looking and without thinking. So remap them.

To remap keys, hit esc to exit out to the menu. Then pick controls. Then you can cycle through the different control menus and see the options. Click on a control and it will allow you to set the keys.

My Jedi Cofiguration:

Use item: Moved from E to numpad +.

Step left and right: Arrow keys left and right. I always use the mouse to turn so those keys are irrelevant.

Jump: Numpad 0

Crouch: Numpad . (numpad , if you are on a German keyboard layout like me)

Weapon 1: Lightsaber is on shift. I like to deactivate it while not in battle. Looks jedi like.

Force powers: Mapped to numpad 1 throug 9. These are critically important. Having force push on numpad 1 will save your life. When Desan is in the air, dropping on you, force push him with an instant reflex.

Inventory keys.: Remapped to F1 through F5. No need for these to be quick reflex items.

Lightsaber style: Ctrl key. Switchign styles rapidly in a fight is one of the best ways to take out that mouse hammerer with skill.

This configuration will put you in prime position to be able to fight like a jedi with lighting reflexes not possible by the original configuration. In multiplayer this will really pay off.

So... when you want a force power... you what? Slide your pinky over and up to mash the keypad? More likely you have to lift your whole hand up to use force power #9, leaving you not moving and prime for all sorts of attacks.

I see where you're going with this, but ASDW works way better for me. Far more buttons in that region and since that's "home" for typing, it just makes sense.

If you're really hardcore (not like me), use SDFE for left, down, right, up. That gives you keys to both sides, though I find I never need them since push/pull are buttons 4/5 on my mouse.

Guest HertogJan

Derisor, I think your setup will be too confusing to people new to shooters... If you're going to LEARN them something, learn them the WASD or ESDF or TFGH system! I never play games with the arrow keys!

I use WASD for walking + sidestepping

Q=grip

E=use

MOUSEWHEELUP=Push (this is very handy, you can use it on intuition)

MOUSEWHEELDN=Pull

MOUS3 (=press mousewheel)=Lightning

C=Saber stance

V=speed

R=Drain

SPACE=Jump

CTRL=Crouch

You'll notice that this works much better! Try and master those controls, and you'll never even think about using the arrow keys anymore!

Boy oh Boy, mine are really messed up.

Mouse2= forward

k=backward

Mouse1=fire1

thumb mouse button=fire2

, and . = sidesteps

/ = fire 2

L = use force power

; and ' = force power cycle

m = jump

n = duck

j,h,g = what ever force power i like (usally pull, push, speed)

alt = use

I was used to playing doom that had the side step keys where they are now. Then i got used to the mouse in later games, and my hand had to be in three places, so i made forward mouse 2, which freed up my hand from the arrow keys. Then i thought I should have a backward's key, and that is where the K came from. L was reload, but since no weapons reload in JK2, i made that button use force. Usally, my left hand has the middle finger on K, but it can go up and down as needed.

While practising for the gateway torny, i got used to the default, which are not bad, but i assigned e, r, and t to assorted force powers. (not for the torny, when i was playing normal, but didnt want to have to reset all the controls).

Same here--I don't quite have the luxury of a numpad anyway, since my compact keyboard is just that--compact. It's smaller than my ultra-light laptop's. I like it though. I can't stand large key depressions like the bigger keyboards have. ;)

Archived