Home

I'm getting annoyed....

D.L.

Right, I'm compiling a map (FullVis) and it takes about 4 minutes to compile as I haven't added much entities yet as I want to see how the textures look under my current lighting scheme.

Only thing is the textures (all custom) will not show up in MP.

I have the following files in my pk3

maps/simpsons.bsp

textures/simpsons/ (then about 15 .jpg files)

I also tried

maps/simpsons.bsp

textures/ (without the internal simpsons folder)

What am I doing wrong!?

I tired that too but that shouldn't happen. I don't need to do it when loading other peoples maps.

The compiler creates two otehr files too.

simpsons.bk and .i or something like that.

What do they do and should they be in the PK3!?

The reason why you don't have to do it with other people's maps is because they're in a pk3, in which case you don't need an impure server for custom textures, if they're just hanging around in some folders you do.

Load from the console without doing anything, sv_pure 0 in console, then devmap your map from the console, should work.

If not your textures might not fit the right protocols for q3. Look at the FAQ, there's only a few requirements for Q3a engine textures.

Originally posted by Hubris

If not your textures might not fit the right protocols for q3. Look at the FAQ, there's only a few requirements for Q3a engine textures.

No, because if you have improperly saved textures, it won't even load the map. Gives an error and drops you to console. If he sees the black and white checkerboard, it's something else.

That... isn't right. :)

Your textures aren't supposed to be multiples of 2, they need to be powers of 2. As in using 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, or 1024. :)

Maybe it doesn't drop to console then for incorrect sizing... I know it does if you save your JPGs as progressive though (hafta save as baseline or baseline optimized).

About compile times:

Don't have any overlapping brushes on geometry (sometimes buttons call for this, that's different).

Don't follow the "Caulk everything then texture what is visible, it increases framerate!". That is pure BS. Anything not seen is culled in the BSP process anyway, it's a waste of time. You DO want to caulk behind patches and on unseen places of DETAIL brushes, because those are not culled automatically.

Also, use detail brushes for the small details. It's hard for me to explain unless you know a lot about Jedi Knight I editing...

Originally posted by volrathxp

once again rich is right. hehe.. yeah if they're improperly sized then they show up as the black and white checkerboard deal. resize your textures to fit the powers of 2 and you should be fine.

volrath

JK had a version of that texture, called dflt.mat. There was also a dflt.3do that replaced any not found 3dos, dflt.mat replaces not found textures. It's scary, because JK's is identicle except that they are grey and yellow instead of black and white. :)

Archived