Home

The RichDiesel University Tutorial Questions Thread.

WhiteShdw

It's all just randomly acquired bits and pieces of information about Radiant and mapping. :) Just a good memory more than anything else.

Anyone can make a great map in the Q3A engine - it just takes actually taking the time to learn the ins and outs of Radiant/scripting and learning all of the commands and techniques.

Oh, and be creative and never give up! :D

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great .. now can you tell me how to attach a script to an entity at spawn time? How to trigger a script on death of an entity? Or how to create a script for any generic object that is run whe the user picks that object up?

Don't know scripting, sorry. :D Learning it now myself. Read the ICARUS manual - that'll get you started.

Though I do know if you want to have a script start when an NPC is spawned, you can set the key spawnscript and a value. If you want a script to run on the main PC (Kyle), you need to target the info_player_start at a target_scriptrunner.

it would be nice to have a document somewhere wiht all the keys that once can set on objects.

I have created a script that sets force powers on startup of a level and would be happy to make a tutorial for it if you accept submissions.

Create a func_door in SP and see what the FORCE_ACTIVATE checkbox adds for spawnflags. It is also talked about in the help box. Then use that value on your MP map.

Although I'm not entirely sure that that specific key works in MP... haven't tried it. :)

Well, the sliders in the Yavin Trial level were all done with scripting. :D

As for the map, not bad... definitely a good start. But I did notice a couple of things.

For one, there's a grate in the floor in between rooms with what looked like HOM behind it... You need to have something back there. :) It looks a tad odd.

In the hallways, you have a bit of texturing mismatching... As in there is a visible line between the lower texture and the upper texture.

Also, it's really annoying to have tons of doors where only some of them work and there's no good way to figure out which is which. :p You also need to master your func_usables to make the switches change (or work them via scripting).

On the upside though, your architecture is pretty well designed - good vertex editing on the curves (no seams that I saw) and most everything seems appropriately caulked... although I did just look at the BSP and didn't check out the MAP. I will assume you did it right. :D

Couple Questions Rich,

1.)Where can I find a site that has an in depth tutorial on shaders?(im sure yours will have it soonly but i need it NOW:p)

2.)Is it possible to create a moving fog?

3.)Is it possible to lessen the number of particles in a fog and spread them apart? ( in case you havent figured it out, im trying to create RAIN!)

Anywho, great job with the kamino map, i was especially impressed with the accuracy of the textures and the actual design ALMOST fit exactly with the movie.

1) No real good shader-coding tutorials that I know of except for the shader manual itself.

2) Yes... with shaders. :p

3) Do you mean actual fog or fog shaders? Actual fog (as in, the fog inside water), there aren't individual particles, so you just increase/decrease its opacity (which is in the shader script). A fog shader, yes, although I'm exactly sure how on that one. :)

And thanks! I was going for a movie feel and not a movie design (was aiming more at good dueling gameplay) so that's why it's not exact to the movie.

Yeah .. but did you notice my hallway carpet texture ? :)

Btw .. watch where you shoot in the sewers themselves. Remember the scene from episode 4 ? :)

Ill check the points you mentioned. Right now what gets me is there is a sparklies effect in the sewers where one curve meets the sewer but the merge is EXACT and Im nto sure wherei t is comming from.

As for the usables, I just enabled everything. In the third room, walk up to the blinking panel on the levt and hit your use key and you will see the switch on the sewer door change.

Did you find the secret area?

Hey Rich, nice tutorials, even my brother can do them :)

I guess Im used to Serious Sam, where you dont have to make a single brush for every single wall, istead flag a brush as "room," but anyways I have a question.

All of the pipes i see in single player seem to be models with bounding boxes made of invisible brushes. Is this true? If not do you have a tutorial on making those nice curvy pipes?

Neh, as far as I know, they're all just square caulk pipes with bevels inside to give the appearance of a pipe. Just use my arched-ceiling in a hallway tutorial and double it to encompass the entire hallway.

And as for Derisor, you need usables! :) Usables make your map seem interactive instead of just being a big congregation of blocks that you can poke. All I noticed is that that first door up on the left from the start didn't switch when I switched it. :)

And I wasn't looking for a secret area, so no. :)

It will also happen if you put an invisible shader on top of it (for example - slick). If you're referring to the bespin air vents, I think they have invisible curves inside the actual curves covered with system/slick

Not 100% sure on that though.

Also, I was having problems with the bouncers yesterday. I made a brush, copied it, put it right on top of the other, covered it with trigger, made it a trigger push, made another bush and made it a target whatever it was, then linked it with the ctrl k, the line even showed up to show that they were linked, but when i tested it no luck. Any ideas?

I am having problems with Gtk Radiant, what happens is I design my map and compile it...The map compiles OK and I get to check out my level. However when I return to GtkRadiant to add to my level, the parts of my level that I have just worked on disappears.

Please help since I have no idea whats going on and I can't make levels if I can't solve this problem.

The GtkRadiant is version 1.2.9 and my systems specs are: -

900Mhz Celeron processor

512MB SDRAM

60GB hard drive

64MB Geforce2 Ti (with the latest Detonator drivers)

Jedi Outcast also has the latest patch.

Archived