Home

The RichDiesel University Tutorial Questions Thread.

WhiteShdw

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dont you haveto use \ instead of / in JKRadient Rich? 007 Tuts told me so

Nope. :) Maybe in GTKRadiant... :p Kamino's music was referenced as "sound/duel_kamino/music.mp3" You hear music in that, don't you? :p

How do you make it so NPC's cannot see your character? even when there looking straight at you?
Check the "CINEMATIC" checkbox and they won't do anything except what your custom scripts command them to.

maybe someone can help me with my compiling errors. when i do a bsp fullvis i get the dos screen to pop up, then a error box pops up and says that there was an error with the kernel32.dll. i dont know what to do
Reinstall Radiant. If that doesn't work, install GTKRadiant and try that. If that doesn't work, get a new operating system. :)

I got the music working, Rich. The whole question about Kamino wasn't even related to that - It's related to the one you are working on NOW. I'm just curious about how it looks at present. You know... kinda like a status report (Not to mention a countdown to the completion of the rest of the tuts... :) ). If you dont have'em that's fine... but I, and probably everyone else who so loves your work, are curious.

In other news, yes, I had the jump heights wrong. I just checked the manual, and they are 2X, 4X, and 8X.

Now, I'm looking for an MP3 of the "Duel of the Fates" (the battle background from EP1 for those who don't know...) If anyone has this or can find a link to it for me, I'd appriciate it.

Full version. I didn't know there WAS a duelofthefates map. And what do you mean by "true or wierd"? I'd PREFER to have the version from the actual soundtrack (in otherwords, the parts of it that were background to the saber battle) But I'll take the whole scene's background if I must.

I don't know if anyone else has asked but in your tutorial u say you don't need to put a massive room if it is outside so how would you do it if you wanted to make kind of buildings which are separate and you can go outside cause then you can't put the sky on because there is no brush please help.

You need to make enclosed brushes wherever you want the player to actually be able to go. If you just want him to be able to see (and not go) to other buildings up high, then that is fine... you will be able to see through the sky shader to whatever is behind it.

I was working on my first map which I am trying to make a fairly accurate version of the Throne room. It is my first experience with Radient so I am having to figure some things out, but your tutorials are great. So here are some questions...

When I go to check out the progress on my map, check scale, frame rate and stuff...how do I check to see how many polys I am seeing and all that good stuff...I have only found frame rate and a few others but nothing really helpful. What is the max polys that should be in view at any time specifically for a single player and multiplayer map?

Also I was working on the large circular windows that appear behind the emperor's throne and on the sides of the room. I created a cyllinder and squashed it down, then went to vertex edit mode and moved the one sides vertices so that the radius was smaller. I capped the cyllinder and deleted the the cap that covered the wider end, then reversed the matrices where necessary to make the textures face the right direction. Then I went and made a bevel that was as wide as the radius of the large end of the cyllinder, I created inverted bevel endcaps and deleted the bevel and the opposite endcap so I was left with only the endcap facing inward. I made copies and rotated it to fit the other 3 corners. I think it turned out okay, but I get some "sparklies" or very small Hall of mirrors effect at the edge of the smaller endcap where it meets the smaller end of the edited cyllinder. Now I have read the solution to this is caulk behind the offending part, but there is no geometry behind it, it is just an endcap, and I would like to make it into a masked texture that lets you see into a starry skybox but I haven't got that far. Am I doing things the right way or should I do them differently, and how do I fix the small HOM effect? If I knew for sure how to do that and how to check for polys I could determine how detailed I can get or how I need to design the level to make it playable.

Something along the same lines, there is a spot in the throne room where the walkway where Luke Cuts off Vaders hand runs into the circular walkway surrounding the elevator. Knowing you are not supposed ot overlap brushes, should I end the rectangle brush of the walkway before the path surrounding the elevator, and the use a set of inverted capped bevels to bridge the gap between the walkway and the circular pathway around the elevator? And will this cause an HOM effect at that edge?

Hope you can understand what I am talking about...if not let me know and I can post some pics...I gotta run to class or I would do it now. Let me know, thanks for the help!

Painreliever

Hello again all you peeps. Todays mapping question is probobly another easy sone for Map-Meister Rich... but it ain't for me!

Ok, in MANY places in the SP game, you see what are basically glass displays that are clear, with the exception that they have a symbol or a readout or some such in it. So, I'm thinking "How can I put those nifty things in MY levels? They would be great to break and relieve some frustration!"

I hope I've described them such that you know what I'm talking about. Thanks to all, in advancee, for all your help.

Are enclosed brushes just normal brushes or something different

I mean enclosed brushes in that it's an area surrounded completely by brushes. There should always be brushes between the player and the void.

how do I check to see how many polys I am seeing and all that good stuff

You're not actually looking for polygon count, but instead triangle count (the number of tris drawn on all visible faces of all visible polygons). The command for this is "r_speeds 1". The number to pay attention to is the one directly in front of "tris". In SP, with ALL NPCs present, this should never go above 25,000 or so. Inall MP modes except duel, try to keep it at 12,000 or below. In duels, you can have it as high as 15,000ish. But do try to keep it as low as possible.

but there is no geometry behind it, it is just an endcap

That's not possible. You should never have a curve blocking off a hole to the void, so there MUST be geometry behind it. If you're going to place a sky shader back there, all the better. Place a flat brush in the hole directly behind the endcap to seal off the hole and texture the front panel with your sky shader.

should I end the rectangle brush of the walkway before the path surrounding the elevator, and the use a set of inverted capped bevels to bridge the gap between the walkway and the circular pathway around the elevator?

If I understand you correctly, yes, but you would probably find using a patch mesh easier.

So, I'm thinking "How can I put those nifty things in MY levels?

Haven't actually tried myself, but I have a feeling it's just a brush with that clear shader on either side of it, then made into func_glass...

and how do i get the funky imperial windows that appear in the throne room in the deathstar mp to be seen through?

It's just a shader. :)

Here are some shots of what I have done...please ignore the texturing it is just to preview the level.

http://www.painreliever.org/images/windows.jpg

http://www.painreliever.org/images/windows2.jpg

http://www.painreliever.org/images/walkway.jpg

Couple questions on your answers...Regarding having no geometry behind the endcap, you said that is impossible. If you you look at my editor shot, windows2.jpg, I hope you can see what I have done...I basically made a square hole in the wall, created a cyllinder as big as the hole, resized one end and capped the cyllinder, after deleting the cap that is created at the plane of the wall, I created a bevel like you talk about in the tutorial, "Circular hole in the floor/ceiling" Except I deleted the outer bevel cap and the inner box portion leaving just the the endcap that was on the plain of the wall. Now when I FullVis my level I get a leak, but I can still play everything normally and the HOM only appears at the edge of the endcap of the cyllinder where the vertices are manipulated, almost as if the vertices didn't line up from being manipulated, but since I capped it after manipulating the vertices I don't see why it shouldn't work.

So if I understand what your saying right, anytime you close a gap to the void with a patch it will leak, is that right? So then would the correct way to build the windows be to create the circular section like your "Circular hole in the floor" tutorial and vertex edit the far side of the bevel to make the window seem to collapse and then add an inverted endcap to the bevel(before copying it of course) and a rectangular block of geometry to block off the hole where the end of the cyllinder is now?

The other question is this, if I use a patch to seal the gap in the walkway is it going to cause an HOM effect there if the vertices don't line up precisely with the verts of the circular walkway?

Thanks for your help...I really appreciate it... hopefully I am making sense.

Painreliever

Regarding having no geometry behind the endcap, you said that is impossible. If you you look at my editor shot, windows2.jpg, I hope you can see what I have done
I say impossible in that if you have a curve blocking off the void, you create a leak in your level and VIS won't function. It is technically possible, yes, but it is something you should not have in the final compile of your map.

So if I understand what your saying right, anytime you close a gap to the void with a patch it will leak, is that right? So then would the correct way to build the windows be to create the circular section like your "Circular hole in the floor" tutorial and vertex edit the far side of the bevel to make the window seem to collapse and then add an inverted endcap to the bevel(before copying it of course) and a rectangular block of geometry to block off the hole where the end of the cyllinder is now?

....yes, though the much easier way to explain it is "always have structural brushes block off the void." :) The easiest way to figure out if you have everything blocked off right is to (first) click the button to view all patches as wireframe and (second) hide all detail brushes. From inside your level, with those two options set, you should not be able to see out to the void in the 3D View anywhere.

The other question is this, if I use a patch to seal the gap in the walkway is it going to cause an HOM effect there if the vertices don't line up precisely with the verts of the circular walkway?

You only create a HOM when the void is visible - no other occasion. You will however create sparklies, yes. The vertices must line up perfectly.

Rich I know it is a shader, it was ment more as how do i use the shader to make it see-through??

Weeell... this is a bix complex, but I'll go over it in short... I'll be writing a tutorial over it later if you want more information. If the shader isn't already see-through, you'll need to make a shader with transparency layers. My advice to you would be to find a shader in the game (like a grate) and copy that shader script into your own shaderfile. You'll notice it references two files - the first is the texture itself, while the second is the alpha channel. Copy the reference from the shader you're already looking at for the texture itself... then you'll need to make an alpha channel. To do THAT, copy the first texture into another file and make all the parts you want visible solid white and all the invisible parts solid black (I may have that backwards, I'm not sure all of a sudden. :D)

That should be about it.

Archived