Home

Amerika (So off topic it hurts)

mxbx

Manny: What author was it that wrote "the Foundation Trilogy"? I'll require this information to engulf myself in research.

Here's a trilogy recommendation from my loot-sack: "The New York Trilogy" by Paul Auster. I can't recommend this one on a high enough plateau (so that all the world might hear) to do it justice. If you like interesting scenarios but can't stand the gibber-jabbering of a lunatic, read this! Even if you love lunatical gib-jabbery, read it! It trilogized me into zaum and it will trilogize me out in exactly the same way.

No, seriously. Read it, you turds.

I'm a big fan of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books. I've read almost 9 of them (currently reading Thief of Time). The quality of them varies a lot, but I can recommend the Rincewind books. They are hilarious. Death is also a great character, although I'm not a big fan of his granddaughter, Susan. Soul Music is probably my favourite Discworld book. And while we are discussing literature: Tolkien is definitely overrated. There! I've said it! Now you can all mailbomb me with death-threaths!

What about a real mailbomb.... Whats your address?

No its OK the books seem very long and often times pointless (the countless songs I and probably millions of others just skip)...but its at the end of the book that the story really seems complete and good. Besides its making a trilogy of fantastic movies.

I'm actually of the opinion that Rincewind is the worst character in the entire Discworld series. I prefer the ones about the Watch.

I've always hated Tolkien too, though there's such pressure to like LoTR. I did like the movie, though - it cut out all the pointless crap (Is it me, or is 90% of Fellowship descriptions of scenery? Hell, book 1 of Fellowship consists of the plot: They walk down the road a bit)

I quite like Robert Heinlein, though I haven't read too many of his books.

Hmm. Who else is there? Lois McMaster Bujold's books are really compelling.

The LOTR movie is great, but the book was a huge disappointment. I read 120 pages and then threw it away. Tolkien's scenery depictions are very boring and Tom Bombadil is just a big idiot. I'm glad they cut him out of the movie. The Two Towers movie will probably rock.

I'm actually of the opinion that Rincewind is the worst character in the entire Discworld series. I prefer the ones about the Watch.

Really? I think the wizard books are quite enjoyable, but I haven't read all the books in the series yet. I've read one Watch book, Guards! Guards!, and I liked it. What Watch book do you recommend I read next?

The other wizards at Unseen University are great, but Rincewind is, to me, a very boring one-dimensional character. I think this is because he's one of Pratchett's earliest characters, and he wasn't a very experienced writer when he created Rincewind.

Hmm. Next Watch book. I think Men at Arms is the next one, and I prefer to read them (roughly) in sequence.

I haven't read all the Discworld books either. Maybe about half.

You're right about the other wizards. Ridcully, Dean, The Chair and the rest are all great characters. Especially in Soul Music and Hogfather. Thanks for the Watch book tip! I'll pick it up at my local bookstore as soon as I'm finished with Thief of Time and Mort.

Archived