Home

ffa_archives

RichDiesal

That's the screenshot I used (in fact, the one that's in my post... you obviously didn't click anywhere ;)) and all of the textures seen there, I made myself...

Also I just used bespin/sky for lighting, so that's it what's giving it a slightly orange hue. The texture will look differently in the final map (as I wouldn't use a bespin sky for a Coruscant based map, now would I? :p)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are some orange parts indoors, but I would have liked to go through the uppermost white and purty levels.

Someone made a really kickass DF level like that, and the MotS Bespin hidden level was pretty right on as far as colors go, but you could tell the whole map was wipped together in probably a day.

Originally posted by Emon

True, but then the indoors should have been white.

White quake maps usually end up looking really, really bad. It results in everything looking washed out and making it all a huge eyesore.

The creative license with bespin was probably taken just to make the game playable. The texture set is quite dull though, i'll agree to that.

ffa_bespin has to be far and away the ugliest map to come with the game.

well there's nothing wrong with the colors themselves, when ID uses earth tones it generally looks really good. ;P

Just a combination of the architecture and the lack of detail in textures that do it.

Originally posted by RichDiesal

ANYWAY, this thread is about my map, let's stay on-topic people!! :p

Well along those lines I do have concerns that it'll actually be a good map for playing ffa. :p Maybe a duel map or something but I can't imagine that those bookcases will provide enough space to get any quality fighting in.

Will it look good, yes, will it be a perfect map, yes, and it'll get ten trillion downloads because it's a scene from a star wars movie, but I have reservations it'll actually be something fun to play on.

Ahh! Well this is a good point.

The archives are very much huge. The center area (between columns) is about 500 grid units wide (about the size of the centermost part of duel_kamino) AND there is a path you can run down behind the columns, giving plenty of chase areas.

I forsee a "main action in the center with people jumping out from behind corners to get people from behind" sort of idea.

But I suppose we shall see. :D

well as long as concessions are being made to keep the map playable that's fine. Nothing worse than a good looking map that plays like crap. ;)

By my eyeballing the center hall is no more than 300 units wide.

Calculated by assuming that player models in game are 32 units wide and applying that to the people in the image. If you use that person standing next to the third bust from the front you figure she/he/it would fit in the corridor 9 or 10 times.

Simple math giving around 300 units.

500 units is roomy, but 300 would get crowded fast. :p

so does that mean you'll possibly be doing that ray of sun light trick on those windows? it's a neat effect. might look pretty good in there.

and yes, i'm working on the bust model. i'm having some troubles exporting, though, so i'm searching for help. do you think volrath would help me on that? i've tried to figure it out, but i'm lost on it.

thanks. i look forward to another update, and you'll be hearing from me soon.

PS - don't i deserve better than bantha fodder? i'm not jedi, but i'm no fodder either.

Well keep posting, and you'll get better. :p

I am trying to get the rays of light to work, but it has been slow going lately. I've been bogged down at work and pretty much just passing out when I get home, so I haven't worked a whole lot.

Most of the regular textures are done - working on the quantity of shaders now.

And yes, Volrath should be able to help you figure out turning them into MD3s. I personally have no idea how beyond that tutorial. :D

I am having a bit of trouble making textures, mainly for the reason that I know next to nothing about graphic arts. As of now, it all looks very plain... the architecture is there, but the textures are all just so solid and ordinary looking... hmm.

Not quite sure how to fix that.

well. . .without seeing them, i don't know what to say. there are lots of options for adding an organic look, but it all depends on what you have already. if you PM me with some links to them, i'll get back to you with some suggestions, if you'd like. that's about all i can say without seeing them. hope i can help.

lo5t h0pe

Archived