Home

Gir WIP

Altimira

So finally after playing around with gmax for a bit, I decided to create a model. Since im not that expierenced at modeling, I didnt want to create somthing really hard. So I found the this little Invader Zim character to be very geometric.

-GIR-

I need some help UVW mapping it. It shouldnt be hard for some of you advanced modelers out there. I would like it to all be in one jpeg for space, if thats possible.

Also, I was just wondering...Since i tried to UVW map it, i split the torso and the head in half so one side can be UVWed separately . Would this create a problem in-game? I can easily weld the vertices to gether if it is a problem.

<----Look at my avatar too

YOU HAVE TO MAKE GIR I TRIED TO BUT FAILED. HE IS SO FUNNY i LOVE YOUR AVATOR AND INVADER ZIM ROCKS I DIDNT THINK ANYBODY ON THIS FORUM LIKED INVADER ZIM IF YOU NEED HELP ASK ZOME ONE WHOS GOOD AT STUFF LIKE THAT BUT I CANT HELP I WISH I COULD. YOU SHOULD ALSO MAKE A SIR SKIN TOO THEN TRY ZIM> AND I DONT WANT TO COPY YOUR AVATOR SO CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE YOU GOT IT

I am making Gir, click on the link. Also, I can skin it, i just need some one to UVW map it (and maybe attatch bones and tags and what ever else has to be done, or give me a tutorial on it).

bout the avatar, i made it from the reference pic on the link on my first post.

Sweet, I love Invader Zim. Gir's hilarious. Look for some tutorials to help you UV map; it's not hard, just time consuming.

Oh and $am, never write in caps, it makes you look immature...and there’s a little something called ‘proper grammar’ (look it up).

That looks SWEET dude!!! Is it possibile to make his "eyes" more cylindrical? Not sure how the animations will work (his arms are pretty short) but I'm sure you'll figure something out.

CTF Skin suggestion: "duty" GIR with red eyes and chest symbols.

By the way, I'd be honored to assemble a custom sound set for him. I'm part of a group that does high quality ZIM encodes, so I have some great sources for the clips.

Good the hear that we have some Invader lovers out there.

Believe it or not, his polycount is way to high, so thats why the eyes are more of a hexagon. Im trying (keyword: trying) to UVW map it as we speak. $am thanks for the web site, havent looked at it in depth yet. And drjimmy515, I Im going to make the CTF colors change with the chest and eyes, just like "duty" Gir. I was planning to do all custom sounds for him. my brother suggested that I play the doom song for the taunt (it just keeps on goin, lol!). Also every once in a while, I would have a famous quote of his when he gets hurt or something.

Some of the sound on the internet are pretty crappy, so drjimmy515 you can send me some to renner02@hotmial.com it would be great.

Some Questions/Problems

1. How do I get multiple objects (i.e. arm, hand, and shoulder) onto one UVW map with all of them showing up at once (in the unwrap edit window). cause I get just the hand, or just the arm.

2. Is there any way to combine different UVW maps? So I can put all of the textures on one big picture file?

3. In the Unwrap stage, my vertexes are not always selectable and they dont show up some times.

4. looking at $ams link, how do i rotate the plane so it will show all the vertexes?

5. looking at some other tutorials, how do i get the texporter so I can skinmap textures?

Yes, you can combine maps. It's fairly simple, you don't actually do it in the 3D program, but rather you combine the maps later. You've got a square to unwrap in. So you take one corner of that, and unwrap his head to there, leaving the rest empty. You then unwrap another peice in another corner, leaving the rest empty, and so on. So you'll have several different mappings, each of them with a peice in only a small portion of your unwrapping square. Then you simply make one image, and put each map in it's section. Hopefully that was understandable :)

You said Gir was too high in polys? He really doesn't seem like he should be. How many polys are you at now?

ok, when i unwrap the UVWs, Im guessing the box i see is the texture im putting on it. My UVWs are like 3 times(some times more) the size. I just scale them down. Is that bad? this is mostly new to me. Im using the checkerboard pattern for my texture (as the tutorials have said to do). I've finished the arms and torso(i think) and now the head. The head is incredably hard to do. It splits it into about 5 completly different sections. Is there an easier way to do this?

Bradfu, my polycount at the moment is 3,108. The parts that they accumulate in are the head and torso. Im going to try and redo them w/ less polys.

Finshed the UVW. I ended up splitting the head into 6 equal sections, after reducing the polycount on it (its at 1,986 faces now). Here is the update.

-Gir-

Now what do I do? I have made all the UVWs and did what bradfu said. do I attach the bones? If so, how?

Originally posted by $am

Hey i dont know whats up with the picture but in the show his eyes and the thing on his stomach are blue ill show you a pic if i can find one

In the first episode they were definitely a light bluish, but after that it was more of a turquiose. Sometimes the eyes and chest don't even really match.

Here's a pic (copy the link to a new browser):

http://www.geocities.com/jk2mayhem/GIR.jpg

I'm pretty much done with the sounds. Now I just have to organize them into a workable set. For the taunt I'm between the Doom Song (everyone knows this one, from the first ep), "duty duty duty etc." (from GIR Goes Crazy) and "I'm dancin like a monkey!!!" (from the Zitboy episode). Any thoughts? Of course they'll all be used somehow (and many other funny lines).

Altimira, I'll need an email to send them to when I'm done.

Thanks

My new e-mail is Thrakus@cox.net

I personally like the doom song for the taunt. Although "Im dancing like a monkey!" would be hilarious. I think it would be great if we could have him say thinks when you fire weapons. Like the sniper rifle thingy would be "Why is your head so big..." (from Door to door). I dont know if thats possible though:( . Also have him say for one of his death sounds, "awww, I wanted to explode." (from Plague of Babies), and it souldn't be hard to find one of him screaming for a death-fall sound. For him walking, can anyone get him squeaking? Can anyone think of any more from the other episodes?

What I still need to do is get the bones attacthed. The only problem is...I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO DO THIS!!!! can any one be of assistance? I dont know what to do, should I weld all the verts together? Would not doing that cause him to open up in game?

As for the skin, this is the first smack up job of it. Once I get gmax to display my skin properly, ill do a nicer job:).

I have plenty of his squeaking sounds... I guess I'll have to put those in using the animsounds.cfg file, huh...

As for using custom sounds for each weapon, the only thing I can think of is using the animation sequence number for a certain weapon fire and linking that via animsounds.cfg, but most of them are probably the same.... hmmm... and replacing one of the click sounds for switching into scope mode would change the sounds for everyone... Any ideas?

Im going to skin him, for some reason the skins show up like crap in gmax. I need some help adding bones or tags (I dont know what Im doing) to him, any tutorials on it?

as for the shrink mod, I was hoping to use the one that they are using for yoda (if its possible).

Please give some help on putting bones or tags on him!

Any updates? pictures?. I think the taunt should be the doom song for those who dont know what that is im going to sing it now

here it goes :songsmile doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom

Archived