Home

Hydroball skin

Plasmacoolant

Hi Guys,

Just started a new hydroball skin for Jan.

I think that it is comming along very well, however please take a look and offer suggestions if you have them. It's supposed to look like a metallic type fabric. Please note that the seperation of fabric and skin has not yet been added.

http://plasmaskins.jediknightii.net/files/skins/mp/hydroball/hydro_jan_mp/hj1.jpg

http://plasmaskins.jediknightii.net/files/skins/mp/hydroball/hydro_jan_mp/hj2.jpg

The glove graphic is not part of this skin I'm just using it during the development stage. It is part of another Jan skin i'm still fine tuning.

Also I'm interested in maybe adding a shader to this to make the fabric more metalic/shiny looking ingame.

I have little experience in writing shader scripts, if anyone has a script of this type I'd like to take a look. :) I could probably manage adding a shader to the whole skin but I do not know how to add it to only a portion of a skin image.

Thanks.

-Plas

I would Higly recommend getting rid of that tacky chrome effect on the flat skin and go for a shader effect. Other than the fact that there isn't much originality for this skin, probably took you like 1 hour max right?

It will look far better and actually move with the position and angle of the model. I would skin the suit as if it were a regular suit. You can have that ribbing or whatever in there and that Nike symbol (I don't know why you would though). You could then make the alpha for it be from a combination from the image and the areas you want affected. That way some areas will have the metallic look more than others to help give the illusion of depth.

- The chrome effect was not meant to be an illusion of reflection it is supposed to be the pattern printed onto the metalic fabric. The basic photoshop chrome effect is not the only thing layered to create this look. I'm looking to add a very slight reflection to the skin.

I think I'll leave making a plain suit & shader until I get this version completed.

- Nano's observation of the butt shadow is a vaild point.

- I used the Nike logo because thats the symbol I had on hand when I put it together & I think it matched the skin well.... that and I didn't know the names of any swimsuit manufacturers in a galaxy far... far.... away.

-Plas

Well, if it is supposed to be a pattern, I'd suggest making a better one. If you darkened most of it until it was a dark grey and got rif of the giant butterfly on her butt, I could set up the shader for you. When you put an environment map on top of another picture, the env map will lighten whatever is under it. If it is over a light tone, you will almost always end up with a near white. And that's probably not the effect you are going for.

On the skin- Fix the seams on those shoulders and on the neck. And real skin would not be all one color. Make a new layer and use a dark pale orange and a dark red/magenta with a large airbrush. Then Gaussian blur at about 8, then set the layer to soft light around 20-30%

Archived