Home

Bones/tags???

Altimira

Since no one will answer this in my Gir Thread, I decided to ask the Questions here.

-How do I import the roots.xsi into gmax (if I can).

-What exactly does the roots.xsi do?

-how do I make tags?

-How do I weight the bones?

-Is there anything else I need to do?

I need an in-depth (for specifically JO, if its possible) tutorial on this. I have looked at spacemonkey's, I is good, but leaves the newbie oriented stuff out.

I suggest Altimira you get Tim Appleby's Tutorial on how to make JK2 models, you can find it almost anywhere, if nto

http://www.polycount.com

or even jk2files or on jediknightii.net or jsut look in forums

That answers 3 questions

you can import it by including the plugin u got from the SDK..it should work (i personally use max r4)

and what does it do?

it links the geometry to the animation:)

simple as that

the animation is already done, u simply create the geometry and weight it properly and there you have a jk2 model!

I dont really like bumping, so im going to make this useful. This is whether or not my model gets finished. I need someone to help me (at least explain how to do it step by step).

1. Add bones

2. Import the roots.xsi

3. Add tags

4. heiarchy thingy

5. Anything else that I dont know about, that needs to get done.

"So if you send this into the past to stop Dib, then then in the future, you will never send it, then he..." *head explodes*

The XSI import dll didn't work for me in GMax, but works fine for me in 3D Studio 4.2. I don't know if there is an XSI importer for GMax, but that is what you need. If there is one, good luck finding it, I failed miserably in my search for it.

To import the bones, simply go to Import and go to the _humanoid\root.xsi file (Tim Appleby's tutorial tells you about this in depth). Then you can follow his steps to weight the mesh to the bones. This is NOT an easy step, and if you mess it up, you will have problems in game, so make sure to double-check everything. Anavel Gato's site will help with some of the weird problems you might encounter.

I'm a n00b modeler too, so I can't really help you w/ these steps, since I don't know how to do them myself... If I find a plugin for Gmax, i'll let you know, but for now, I'm using 3DSMax.

Good luck.

well, I do know some one who has 3Dmax r3, are there any roots.xsi importer for that?

Whats the difference between tags and bones? I have tags from a model I was toying around w/. Can I edit tags (position, size, and position to other tags).

Thanks for the info MUHAHAHAHAHA. Just PM me if you ever find an importer, or I will PM you if I find one:).

I think that if your friend has 3Dmax r3, that will work with the plugin. There might be issues since the plugin was made for Max r4, but you can always try. You can get it here (with the SDK).

After you install the SDK, go to the Gamedata->Tools->Max4Tools and copy the 2 files to the Plugins directory of 3DSMax. Then you should be able to import the root.xsi file as stated in Spacermonkey's tutorial.

Again, I'm not sure if there are any XSI importers for GMax or any version of 3DSMax before r4, but i'll post it here if I find one.

Basicly they told me that this model may not get done soon:(. From another post about the roots.xsi, can anyone send me a .max file of it. I cannot import it myself (I dont have r4, only gmax and a freind w/ r3). It would help tremendously.

Thrakus@cox.net

And tags, can i move them around?, or do i have to keep them in the same orientation that i got from another model? If anyone has and useful info, it would be great.

BTW, like the avatar $am

Archived