Program of choice  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Program of choice

• 3d studio max
    • Lightwave
    • Maya
    • Softimage
    • ElectraImage

I went to mac world today, and was quite impressed with the 3d modeling prgrams, and art work. Witht the recent move made by lightwave, by dropping their prices considerably, this had opened a new realm.

The current industry standard is a toss up between lightwave and maya. 3d studio max is in the picture, but the prices are still to high. Most movies and commericalls and personal animations are done using maya. I am not too familiar with lighwave, but from the articles and essay's that I have read, It has amazing texturing capablities, and a far supeurior rendering egine than 3d studio max.

Maya complete, is an impressive program, but the learning curve is quite difficult. You have inifinte possiblites in maya. From what i saw, making animations is a cake walk.

There has been a little bit of a sitr among the modeling communiyt as a whole. If you surf the sites, and read the articles, Softimage has all the possiblites of becoming the industry standard. It is used very little though, becasue of the price tag.

I post this becasue I am eager to see what you guys whould pick as your modeling program of choice. That is if there is no price taf....which in some cases, is true "wink". I have a feeling the program of choice is going to be a toss up between lightwave and 3d studio max. Only becasue those are the most popluar with gaming.

I would like to hear your reasons why you use that program.

Please excuse my typing, I spent the whole day at the show and a bit tired.

3D studio max...

cuz that's what i've always used (took me 2 years to get comfortable with the interface and doing decent models),

It's not as powerful as maya or softimage, but almost everything in max can be tweaked to suit your needs.

Other renderers are also available: like brazil or mental ray, plus there's a bunch of plugins to complete the package.

For what i do it's more than enough.

So that's why i choose 3D Max.

I have only used Max so far, it has been the program I've used for the last 3 years. Basically every game i have edited required Max, so that is why. I would like to try out Maya in regards to higher poly stuff that I occaisionally work on, as well as maybe lightwave, but at the moment Max is still my choice.

I have a quick question. What is it about low-poly modeling that is so appealing? I can understand playing your favorties character, and the process is an artform in itself. I am here becasue I am a personal fan of art itself. If you can't take hold of new form and study how and why they work that way, you will never be the best.

So I give the modelers here a lot credit, I wish I could name them all. A few come to mind, Pio kloon, who I have worked with and is an exceptional low-poly artists. Crosis, who is catching on very quickly (my padawan). Those are just the artisit I have worked with, there are many great artist in this forum.

So yeah, I am anxious to hear your replies.

I use 3D studio Max because I find it so easy!

I had never moddeled before until 2 weeks ago, with a little experimenting and searching through forums I have made a saber, admitedly it is not very good. I have had friend who has tried alternative software and they say it is too limiting and not very intuitive to use, not sure which one though.

Archived