Home

Recording .avi's with JKII..

K.O

How is it done exactly? I thought it was cl_avidemo 1, but when I do that EVERYTHING slows down sooooo much. It's kind of a challenge to put it back to 0. o_o While I put this to 1 should I be putting in the record command? Cause if you've seen the SoS (Style Over Substance) vids, they're in .avi format.

cl_avidemo 1 will record screenshots for frames in your screenshots folder. Then you need to compile them into an AVI or MOV or MPEG or something with a program for video editing like Adobe Premiere.

SoS uses a 3rd party recorder, check download.com.

If you have it set to 24 you will get around 7 minutes of video . The best prog to use is TMPGEnc ... all you have to do is cue the first file in sequence and the audio and it does the rest .

I've found you can only get 10000 shots . Does anyone know a way to get more ?

I quess this is how it should be done...

=====================================

At first you should record a demo as usually... (turn

synchronousclients ON and then you type: record)...

Then when you have recorded return to main menu

and go to that play demo menu (don't launch it...

just check the name of your demo...)

Then open console (press shift + that key under esc)

and type: demo "file name"; cl_avidemo "frame rate"

Example: demo demo0001; cl_avidemo 15

=====================================

Then just wait that it loads, plays and records...

(if you press anything during playing/recording it

will be aborted and you return to main menu...)

Hey thanks guys! I've been wanting to know how to do this for some time... Couple of questions though:

1. Does anyone know some good settings in Adobe Premiere for a 320x240 .mov? I want to optimize it to round the size of the first JKII gameplay movie. Un-optimised with music but no sound effects for about 40 seconds and 30 fps it takes about 20 megs. Can you recommend some settings for me that could push that down to about 5 megs or less please :)

2. How are you guys recording the sound? Obviously when you re-assemble the screenshots in Photoshop or whatever there is no sound. How are you recording the sound from the demo exactly so you don't need to tweak it much when putting into the movie? Are you recording from the system sound? Or is there an easier way in JKII?

3. Lastly my most wanted question - I am working on a Single Player MOD, the Dark Forces MOD to be exact and obviously recording in multiplayer is great, but it doesn't help me. So, how do you record in Single Player? And then turn it into a few hundred frames? It would really be appreciated if you could answer this.

Thanks in advance for any answers to those questions people :)

1 - The trick with those programs (I use Adobe After Effects and Ulead Video Studio) is finding a good compression for the video and audio. I can't really help you there except to tell you to test out some smaller footage first. The trick is compatibility, not everyone has the latest DviX for example.

2 - Well, you'd have to cheat by:

- Pluging in a tape recorder or

- Mixing your own music, speech and fx

I'd do the latter myself.

3 - I'd like the answer to this question for my own SP Mod. At this point I'm debaing to just record some footage onto VCR and uploading it back in, but I'd have to reinstall an older video card for the capture.

Thanks Covax, but I'd figured out a couple of the answers to those questions already :)

If you use the Sorenson 3 compression codec for Quicktime you can get BRILLIANT compression sizes - you just need Quicktime 5 to play it :) Which is very good.

With the sound I just recorded off the system sound in the end and put it back in - works fine and sounds great.

Still waiting for a reply about the Single Player recording thing - there WILL be a way, it's just finding it ;)

I've e-mailed Mike Gummelt at Raven in the hope he can help out here.

Archived