Home

First Time Modeling

tHoMaS88

Hey guys, I want to get into JKII modeling and I would like to know what would be a good CHEAP program that would be good for a new modeler. Please help....

A link would be good too... ;)

I've seen MilkShape and G-Max thrown around a lot, would those be good programs for starters?

well g-max is free, it doesnt get any cheaper...milk shape is pretty good too for 20$.

Both of these will help you make the actual model, but the compiling process requires the mesh to be exported in XSI 3.0 format and then converted to .glm.

i have no idea if g-max has a plugin that can export xsi, and im guessing milk shape is not ready to support jk2 models yet.

here's a link for g-max:

http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/

Actually from what I understand, its possible with GMax to export as an MD3 (using a plugin--cant remember where I got it) then using the md3 viewer thatcame in Ravens tool pack, export the md3 as a GLM. That supposedly works, haven't gotten around to trying yet.

The MD3 viewer can export to the GLM format, but that will only work for models that are static, like lightsaber hilts. To make a player model you need to be able to export to XSI, as that is the file format that Carcass/Assimilate reads to compile the model into .GLM with a skeleton.

In Gmax, you can export to MD3 (the quake 3 format). On the official download site there is a link for you to download the Temptest Gamepack. That is a set of plug-ins/exporters that will allow you to export from .gmax to .md3 so you can fiddle with it in more programs. The best thing for n00bs to do is to get gmax, download the tutorials, and do a lot of research because modeling is not an easy thing, but is fun. Good Luck

-Mix Master

...or you can do the model and ask someone else to do the weighting in 3D max...but most of the modelers are already busy doin their own thing.

Then what do people make these models with?!? Tell us modeling newbies.

3D Studio Max 4.x, there's a plugin in the raven tools that will export the mesh in XSI 3.0 format.

Woa, are you guys rich or something? You guys think that 3ds max is cheap? I checked out the discreet website and I wouldnt consider $4,000 dollars cheap.... Unless I'm missing something and it actually doesn't cost that much. Anyhow I think that if MilkShape works with JKII I'll probably use that since that looks like the simplest program for me heh :p

Gmax does what you need for modeling. It is built on the same engine 3ds Max 4 is but does not have features like 3ds. Gmax, (the Temptest gamepack), milkshape, and the JK2 radiant tools, a painting program, and a Zip program is pretty much all ur gunna need to make a good model and put it into the game. Gmax is free, the jk2 radiant tools are free, and if you look around you can find some very powerful free stuff. (luckily i got 3ds max free, i got a copy from my office. :))

-Mix Master

Originally posted by Psyk0Sith

G-max is FREE...not 3D studio max, not the same!!! didnt you check that link i posted? :)

Heh I was talking about you saying that you used 3ds max so I checked it out when you recommended that to mariners. I checked out gmax and I knew that was free.

Archived