Home

Fabric Designs? - Using Photoshop

bleek

I'm working on a skin of General Carlist Rieekan. What is the easiest way to make designs on shirts. For example..I need to make a Hoth Rebel's jacket....it has those diamond-like shapes at the top part....what's an easy way to create those...if there is one besides copy and pasting. When I do that they seem to turn in different directions on the back compared to the front...and arms compared to front and back.

I went to your site and saw your Hoth Rebel skins. I know you don't use photoshop...but is there a certain method you used for making their jackets?

I really dun know how to make clothes look....fabric-like:o . I have been basically coloring on the models and using the smudge tool....and cut and pasting.

GRRRR!...MY THREAD :D .

How do I make the fabric like...ness...stuff. FOR EXAMPLE...perhaps...on that Spiderman skin of his....how did you make the red lil rectangular designs all over him? GRRRRR!

Hummm...how do you guys get your own lil page to put pics up of your skins also....i dunno even how to do that ..sadly:( .(weeps)

I'd like to put my skin out there for some.....CONSTRUCTIVE...criticism.

Ok, first you need to find a swatch of what you want the fabric to look like. You'll want something that looks like this:

http://www.hamiltondrygoods.com/images/herringbone.jpg

It should be close to the fabric so that you can clearly see the texture, and it should be evenly lit and not contain any extra crap(like little printed/embroidered pictures, etc.). Believe me that it takes a REALLY long time to find a decent swatch, and there are no shortcuts unless you have a nice digital camera and can take your own pictures of the fabric you want to use. I would recommend doing a google image search, or try to figure out if there's a special name for the design you want and search for that. When you do find one, copy and paste it into photoshop and save it as a photoshop (psd) file in a place where you can find it easily. Then, open the texture file you are skinning and select the portion you want to put the fabric pattern on using the lasso(or just select the layer its in if you're separating different garments on the skin by layers, which is a good idea IMO). Once it is selected, go to Filters/Textures/Texturizer from the menu on the top of the screen. When the texturizer window pops up, select "load texture" from the dropdown menu and pick the psd swatch you saved. Then, play with the scaling, relief, etc. until you get the results you want.

Of course the other option is to manually draw in the pattern using an airbrush set on darken and lighten, but that will be much more time consuming and probably not look as good.

Hope this helps!

Oh yeah, and to post your pictures just get a geocities account, upload your pictures, and put links to them here.

HapSlash Doesn't use PhotoShop!?!

No, I don't use PhotoShop,... I use Micrografx's Picture Publisher 7. It doesn't save images in seperate layers like PhotoShop can, but it's a very nice program which is extremely user friendly. It's also inexpensive as well, and can easily be picked up for $10 - $15. If you're good at using PS than I wouldn't bother, but if you dislike PS or you think you really want to try it, out be my guest. And if you have questions, I'd be more than happy to help out.

...how do you guys get your own lil page...

If you look around you can find numerous free hosting sites, but they usually have a catch. Most will have advertisements on them, a lot of them won't allow direct image links, and a few of them have extremely limited bandwidth. It's possible that your ISP has allotted you some free web space. I know mine has, but It's not where my site is hosted. I mainly use that just for direct image links that I want to show to others. I use Tripod for my website. It has decent bandwidthand and gives you 20MB of free space, but as you've probably noticed they put pop-ups on all their hosted pages. There are many others out there, you just have to find the one that suits you best.

is there a certain method you used for making their jackets?

Basically what inbredyokel told you sounds like a good way to do things, I don't use PS though, so I can't be totally certain.

I generally do all my work by hand exept for some very simple texture fills just to lay down the basics. Here's an example of the fill I used for making the diamond pattern on the hoth jackets.

x pattern

I used the same method to create the details on the Spiderman skin, just with a slightly more complex pattern.

The rest I do as inbredyokel said,... manually draw in the pattern using an airbrush set on darken and lighten, but that will be much more time consuming and probably not look as good.

You guys dont use photoshop? Its simple. You find the biggest picture of the subject your lookin for and take a swatch of fabric out of the actual photo. If you find a wrinkled spot in the clothes in reference pics, you can copy those. Transform. Copy transform out of reference pics. Then blend with the smudge tool on like 20 30% hardness(so it doesnt smudge in a big blurr, but blends areas) The easiest way to get reference pics for Gen Reikin would be this(Although it requires a capture card.)

If i wanted bigger reference pics to do clothes, I'd simply pop my VHS of ESB in VCR, plug it into puter and run it on TV tuner so i could take snapshots. voila! you now have pics you can mess with and pull up in photoshop. The only thing you really have to worry about is loss of quality and detail when you take your snapshots. I'm sure ya can find other ways, like finding vid clips in mpeg or avi format but this way is usually the easiest. If ya want me to a could try and get a couple images.....

Or does this concept sound silly?

The only problem with that, is that you get interlacing artifacts, and errors from conversion of VHS to digital. That and that any little monkey can learn how to cut and paste pictures together. Get your own materials. If you are serious about this kinda thing, get a scanner, or a digital camera. Use that to take pictures for good use as textures.

Archived