Home

Searching

Could somebody please explain to me how to search these forums? Or why the search function is disabled? It's very tedious going through several hundred pages of forum threads to find one measly set of instructions about how to go from .gmax to .3ds....

• 2 weeks later...

well I'm pretty sure that Mods and Amins can search their own boards but other than that, it was disabled because it took up to much bandwitdh. tke for exapmle that a couple people tried to search Redwing(who has a post count with 5 digits) at once, that would almost certnily take the all the forums down.

Bandwidth, no - very little info needs sent over the network between client and server, and the results would come up in pages, 25 or so results per page.

Processing power, yes, well might. Especially if the hosting box has CPU not powerful enough, then given the insane amout of users online any given time, it might well take the forums down. But I think vBulletin is smart enough to minlimit the number of characters in the search string (to disallow searches like "a"), and to maxlimit the amount of users allowed to search concurrently (to prevent 100 users from searching the forums at the same time). And if not, these shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

OK, i'm sorry Processing power. but still before it was disabled I used it and it came up with numerous pages for one word. in order to make it a reasonible burden on the system they'd need to only let a few people, probably ~20 or so, be able to use it. and hey, that about the number of Mods. what a coincidence :rolleyes:

Archived