Home

I can't stand it, NEED JK2 HELP

RpTheHotrod

Ever since I've installed this game, it would never launch, but just freze up. What I must do now is rnu it TWICE, get a meditation error, hit RETRY, then hit CANCEL on another error message, THEN the game will launch.

Now, I just tried going into SP mode and got this

JK2: v1.03 win-x86 May 3 2002

Initialising zone memory .....

----- FS_Startup -----

ERROR: filename length > MAX_QPATH ( strlen(Program Files/LucasArts/Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast/GameData/base/levelshots/) = 78)

WHY is JK2 so fricken buggy??? It stops there, and doesn't load SP

Help?

cut-back problems? I made the FAQ so we wouldn't have to repeatly reanswer the same questions. I've seen this same error mentioned at least a dozen times. It's due to the Jk2 engine having only a 128 character limit on the full path name. That's why you gotta reinstall to a shorter dir to fix it perminately.

Oh, ok. What's in your ../levelshots dir? I don't even have one...

And if your install dir is C:\Games\JediKnightII why does the game call to the Program Files/LucasArts/Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast/GameData/base/levelshots/ dir? That's just messed up. Maybe your registry entrees are messed up. It sounds like reinstall time if you want to fix it. :)

It's mutually John Carmack's and Raven's fault....

Originally posted by razorace

cut-back problems? I made the FAQ so we wouldn't have to repeatly reanswer the same questions. I've seen this same error mentioned at least a dozen times. It's due to the Jk2 engine having only a 128 character limit on the full path name. That's why you gotta reinstall to a shorter dir to fix it perminately.

The cause of that error is that the path inside the pk3 file is too long ( there are directories in every pk3 file ). If you open the reactor level with WinRar ( Winzip doesn't work in this case ) you will notice that theres a "Program Files/LucasArts/Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast/GameData/base/levelshots" directory inside.

uurrr...It's not a pack problem, it how the engine handles path names. The Map creater apprentely made teh path names too long.

You never said anything about having new maps. I guess I should have asked. :)

The current solution on the FAQ is for virgin copies of the game as I can't come up with solutions for all the crap people do with the Mods. I'll add an addition warning about Mods thou.

You're all so tech saavy, it's turning me on.

Down boy!

Archived