Home

Tiny mapping request = SAGA map

Tchouky

if you have played with the jo radient you must have seen the saga infopoints.

jk2 has a built in game type which is not selectable from the menu, and which doesn't have any maps.

However the code is fully written and if we had a map it would be fully playable.

We could be able to create mision based mods and maps.

So here is my request :

If a mapper was kind enought to create me a very simple map

with 1 info_player_imperial

1 info_player_rebel

1 imperial objective

1 rebel objective

1 info_player_deathmatch

that would allow me to test it and then modify the code if needed.

I hope that someone will answer to my request .

it could really add something to jk2.

we could create new kind of mods with a cs-type gameplay or RTCW for example.

Thanx

*raises hand*

Hey Tchouky, it's been a while. We at NRG are in dire need for some assistance from you, have you been to the site recently? Anyway, if you have a msging service such as AIM, MSN etc... then we can discuss further on your map and details about NRG.

Cheers ;)

for the nrg site... *points to signature and runs*

:D :D :D

i have been added to the jotor tc team ?

i didn't even know that :) lol

but it's not a problem the mod atracted me before the vacations and i have some time now ....so why not ?

i only have icq : 149554375 , and i hang around on irc too

(signature )

yeah but it's up to you mappers to create these maps :)

i hope someone will make me a small one .

i know that a mapper can create this kind of map in less than an hour , you just have to create a big hollow box ,with one crappy texture and put like 4 entities 2 starts (rebel and imperial) and 2 objectives.....

come on please .

Heh... well, I'm working on one right now... it's just a test for the moment, but I'm thinking about doing a Battle of Hoth setup. Complicated enough to be interesting: protect the generator for the rebels, destroy it for the imperials. When WLS releases the co-op mod, I'll likely use it to create enterable AT-ST's and make things more interesting. (AT-ST fire is necessary to destroy the generator.) Of course, rebels would get trip mines, and heavy weaponry to destroy them and stuff... And using co-op, it should be possible to set it up so that no one has lightsabers, making things all the more interesting... I'm not a fantastic mapper, though... I can't seem to look at the details that make a map interesting... but take my idea if you want it- if you do a better job than me, then kudos. I think that this saga map type, especially when used in unison with the upcoming WLS mod to use ICARUS scripts and other single-player stuff, has GREAT possibilities of creating games that become the next CTF obsession.... I'll probably post again right after this, for the record, since I'm about to test an EXTREMELY basic form of the map.

-Slunker

Firstly, our project is aiming for MP not SP. However, perhaps you didn't read the news?

I've got bad news for you: The co-op mod will NOT see the light of day. As it seems there is one problem, which we cannot fix - even Raven Lead Coder Monroe doesn't know how to do this without changing the executable...

We are hitting a model limit that we cannnot overcome. This kicks out about 80% of the original Jedi Outcast single player maps. One step our coder took was to code an external program which removes some models - e.g. artus_mine has 301 models, the multiplayer executable supports only 256. But this only lead to other problems, as several entities required the removed models - the map didn't load successfully either. And if you try to remove those entities, you kinda destroy the maps -> missing triggers, leaks....

Still we can release the first look edition with the Ladder-map, but what then? Cooperative won't be possible, because the only maps that work are not really cooperative - for example the force training map, where Kyle gets his lightsaber, works; so does the map 'pit', in which you fight against a Tavion NPC, but that's not really coop. ...only simpler maps work.

General conclusion : co-op will not be possible without a change in the multiplayer executable. Now BEFORE you all go knocking at Raven's door, we would like to stress on the fact that they have been MORE THAN SUPPORTIVE in helping us with our problems in our mappacks and code. It is just something that is not possible at the moment, and we do not have a clue what impact increasing the model limit will have on the JK2 multiplayer code, so I beg you, don't blame Raven!

We do apologize to those who were eagerly anticipating the release of the co-op. Things were working fine, but this barrier we cannot overcome. Now before you all go running around and screaming there is 1 thing that we will be able to get to work if there is enough demand : that is cooperative play in usermade maps. All these maps have to do (according to our coder) is to take into consideration the limits defined in the multiplayer executable.

I feel really bad about having to announce this, since there is a lot of hard work that just seems lost now.

On the jk2 front page AND the wired lamp studios site.

Now before you all go running around and screaming there is 1 thing that we will be able to get to work if there is enough demand : that is cooperative play in usermade maps.

That sounds exactly like what I'm making. Especially since the WLS team is working at work-arounds to lower the model-count for the average map (I'm not quite sure what these things are, but the best I can tell, they're trying to make it so things like NPCs/other entities don't count as models... all the time?) Anyhow, the point is that the co-op mode WILL see the light of day, just not in the way everyone expected it. And the code is ALWAYS usable for purposes other than co-op.

And yes, I know that you're not interested in SP. But what the co-op mod does, basically, is put all the SP code in a position where it can be handled by everyone. This means that co-op mode will be useful for EVERYONE because single-player things will be available to map-makers in all forms of multiplayer. Including saga. Which means that things that were originally restricted to SP, like AT-STs (that aren't just models) will be available suddenly. So enterable AT-STs and scripts in multiplayer can be used, which will do a kickass job of setting up situation-based games such as Battle of Hoth.

-Slunker

All that's necessary to set up a mod to run saga is to change the multiplayer server create .menu file or something, right? *frowns* I got an EXTREMELY simple map running, but I obviously can't test it in saga mode unless I can run it in that MP gametype... as well, any more information about the saga entities available from someone who's been studying the code (Tchouky?) would be appreciable. Basically, the concepts behind the running/mapping of a saga game altogether...

-Slunker

After some digging, I found out how to set this up to run saga maps. It's actually incredibly easy thus far:

In the assets1.pk3 file, under the ui/jk2mp directory, find a file named "gameinfo.txt" and extract it somewhere. Open it up. You should see two places where this is present:

{ "Free For All" 0 }

{ "Holocron FFA" 1 }

{ "Jedi Master" 2 }

{ "Duel" 3 }

{ "Team FFA" 5 }

{ "Capture the Flag" 7 }

{ "Capture the Ysalimari" 8 }

The first time, it's for the creating a server menu, the second time, it's for the joining a server menu. In both instances, stick this line in somewhere. (Doesn't matter where, since it only affects the order that "Saga" comes up as you click through your choices.

{ "Saga" 6 }

That adds saga to your menu. If "saga" is in your .arena files in the gametype area, your map should appear in the menu! Yayyyy!

Also, always make sure that, as with CTF, you have an intermission player start so the player can choose their team.

Right now, though, I basically have Team FFA set up... what affect do the objective points have on the rest of the game? Can someone give me info on how they work?

-Slunker

if you want to start a map with saga then just launch the game :

bring down the console type :

g_gametype 6

map sagamapname.bsp

and you're in ....but you have to create a .saga file too.

btw could you compile me a map

yeah i m a noob i modified succesfully but when i launch full vis a window pops up and then desapear without compiling anything ....

if you could thx the url is :

http://mbalch.free.fr/WIP/saga_test3.map

edit wrong map sorry :(

Hmm.... I actually trudged through the source code and got the .saga file working to a point where when you complete an objective the game ends... but I can't figure out the form to put the paired values in... nothing I try works.... gimme some help by telling me how to work the .saga file working completely? And I'll compile that map for you.

Oh, and btw, you can do that, but that doesn't really help when it comes to choosing a server (or, really, in setting up a dedicated server.)

-Slunker

well you weren't on the internet yestreday when i came back and i wanted to do the map.

i tried joradiant (which sux)

i couldn't even use it so i downloaded gtk and i made the small changes but it's not working.

i need to triggger the info_saga_objective

so i created a brush and badly textured it .

after that i selected the objective and linked them (ctrl+k)

i 've checked the entities and everything seems to be allright.

however when i push the button nothing happens

just to tell you: it's over.

Tchouky and I used and slightly modified map of yours and we both tested it on my .saga file (seeing as I know exactly its structure). It worked.

And as we all say: stay tuned, there are some bugs in saga code that need to be fixed.

[edit]

do not ask for .saga specifications yet. It will be kept undisclosed for now.

Archived