Home

How far does freedom of speech extend?

Zygomaticus

This is a question that has been bugging me for the past couple of weeks and i finally remembered to ask it at the same time i was sitting at the comp.

Think of this scenario:

Two countries

A: Fully democratic, freedom of speech, religion and all those other things (like USA)

B: not democratic. no freedom of speech, nothing anti government or stuff like that.

Now there are people on the internet from both these countries.

Person from country B owns a website on which he has a forum, chat room, blah blah. Person from country A comes on and starts to talk like he owns the place claiming to having excercising his freedom of speech.

Is that legal? Despite the website being based in another country, is it generally legal for someone to take for granted, basically a right which is not his?

opinions?

The laws of Country B don't apply to Country A, as such the person from Country A doesn't have to worry about the laws in Country B.

Example: A guy in the Philopense writes a Virus, and sends it to people in the US. This causes major problems, and is against the Law in the US. However since the programer isn't in the United States the govenerment couldn't do anything about it.

This would be the same for your situation. Now a possible result of that incident is the person in country B could be considered responsible for the post that person in Country A made.

Archived