Home

50 FPS with GeForce 4?

JediGhost[SITH]

You know its weird, i recently upgraded my GF2mx 32mb to a Radeon 8500 128mb and i am not seeing much of a performance increase either. Whats the speed of your computer? the reason could be that you are CPU limited, you might not be able to get more performance with any card if your CPU isn't fast enough. If thats not it then you might be capped at a 60hz refreshrate or something, try disabling v-sync and see if your fps go higher (you can disable v-sync in the opengl display properties or in the More Video menu in the JK2 options). You can also experiment with different refreshrate settings, in your config or in the console type r_displayrefresh 120 and see if that helps, if your monitor screws up then try a lower number like 100 or 85.

Also about the jittery thing when you jump around, that sounds like a problem i had. Do this and tell me what happens, start a match and point your mouse directly at the ground and strafe around for a bit, does the ground look like its shaking? if so then you have the wobbly camera bug.

I forgot to tell you that back when I first started playing JK2 with my GF2 it was running fine, with about a constant 60 fps.

Then when Morrowind came out I went to play it and I needed new drivers.

Apparently I installed a wrong driver and I messed JK2 all up, my FPS got really bad in certain places and when I watched saber fights it would drop down to about 15 FPS.

I reinstalled, reformatted, and it never got fixed. It's been that way ever since then.

Now when I got my GF4 it's still the same way, only now, where I used to get a high FPS it's about 90 instead of 60, but wherever it used to dorp down to 20 and 15 FPS, it drops down to about 20 and 25 FPS.

In other words, where it was fast, its faster, and where it was slow, its stiill slow.

I have no idea what could be causing this, you'd think reinstalling, reformatting, and getting a GF4 would even fix it a little, but it hasn't.

r_displayrefresh 120 didn't change anything, and yes, if I look down and strafe the ground is all jolty too.

Hmm i feel your pain, your problems are just like mine, albeit to a worse extent. When i first got my XP 1600 i got consistent timedemos of 76fps in JK2 with my gf2mx 32mb, about a month later i did another timedemo again and it had gone all the way down to 62fps. Still more than playable of course but thats a fairly large decrease for no apparent reason, other games still ran as good as ever but not JK2. Shortly after that the blasted jerky camera bug started to show its ugly head, i tried everything humanly possible to fix it but nothing i did worked. I lived with it for about 4 months until i finally gave in and bought a radeon 8500 128mb thinking that would fix all the problems for sure. But of course it didn't fix a thing, my timedemo score is only 67fps with the radeon and i still had the jerky camera. That 67fps is deceiving though because with this card the spots that were slow before are actually slower than with the gf2mx, i noticed one spot where i'm sure i used to get over 40fps and i now get 30fps. But like you all the fast spots are a bit faster than they were so that would account for the small increase in my timedemo score. The game still runs at 60+ fps for the most part and rarely ever drops below 30 so it isn't THAT big of an issue but i know for a fact it should run much better, but damed if i know how to fix it. :(

But back to the jerky camera, thank god recently a kind soul named Pa3PyX replied to my post here and helped me to fix that problem at least. He showed me 2 console variables that when changed got rid of the jerkyness. Unfortunetly one those variables is cheat protected so he had to to edit the cgame.qvm file in the assets5.pk3 to make it work, even works with pure servers if you can believe that. But (theres always a but) even though i have the variables in my autoexec.cfg they are still resetting to their old values every time there is a map switch which makes the jerkyness return, i then have to quit the game and rejoin to fix it again. Its odd that it would do that because since they are in my autoexec.cfg the values should always load as default. But thats still a work in progress, i'm awaiting Pa3PyX's reply on how to possibly fix that.

Neways heres a link to his website, the modified assets5.pk3 is in the news section.

http://pa3pyx.come.to/

before you start a game with it put the following 2 variables in your autoexec.cfg

seta cg_thirdPersonTargetDamp 1.0

seta cg_thirdPersonCameraDamp 1.0

now start the game and the jerkyness should be gone, but like i said it resets every map switch.. obviously not a perfect fix but its better than nothing if your desperate.

Can you believe how much trouble we go though for this game? Every other game i have works great except for JK2, if i wasn't a starwars freak i would've took a blowtorch to my cd a long time ago. :evil6:

Ok guys here is the skinny. First off make sure that you have fsaa turned off. Next make sure that you have vsync turned off. Now go into the game and set it to 1024x768 with all of the options turned to max. Now play the game.

If all is not well do this. Unistall the drivers thru the add/remove programs box. Now restart the machine. Install the latest drivers from Nvidia/Ati. Restart the machine. If you run XP get rivatuner from http://www.guru3d.com to get rid of the 60hz refresh bug (other programs work with ati). Now turn off the same as before. Make sure that allof the stuff you do not need is turned off. Now run the game.

A few things to remember. A geforce2 does not support pixel shaders like the Geforce 3/4 or the 8500/9700 series of cards. You may indeed get a few areas with higher fps, but they are not of the same quality as with a card that does support pixel shaders.

Your problems are not your cards, imho, but more than likely your general system condition. When is the last time you installed, or reinstalled windows. Windows gets crowded with crap that can kill game performance. Take care as to what you install and how it works. Remember to defrang and scandisk before you install any game.

I have a 1333Tbird with 512ddr and a Geforce3 TI200 running under winxp pro with a raid system and a very fast mb. I run a game server for 10 on my rig as well as play on it at the same time. I am at the settings I told you about and get around 120fps in a game (more on my server). Never ever take a benchmark as a "total" sign of how your system is doing. I have friends with Geforce 2 Ultra cards that get better fps in some games, but they do not look nearly as nice.

Also when you say you upgradded to a Geforce 4....what kind is it? A geforce 4 420 is the same as a Geforce2 MX400. The MX440 and 460 are little more than a Geforce 2 ultra and a Geforce 2 ultra on steroids. You will not get any major performce beifit until you hit a TI4200 in a Geforce 4. As for the ati card it is most likely that some of your old files from the Nvidia card are still in the system.

I would do a total reinstall of windows on both your parts and start over. I bet your overall system performance will jump by 25%. I reinstall windows every 4 months to keep it fresh and fast.

Just a few things to think about.

I actually had already tried most of what you suggest there, BUT I JUST FIXED EVERYTHING! i formatted my HD again and this time i converted from fat32 to ntfs. After installing JK2 again right away i noticed the fps are now smooth in almost every place it was slow before, however the camera was still jerky. But that was at version 1.02, i then installed the 1.04 patch and joila! the jerky camera went away with no other fixes! other than switching to ntfs i don't know what else could have made the difference but man am i happy now, smooth as silk! and my timedemo only went up 3fps, so yeah i guess benchmarks can be misleading.

EDIT: Actually i just tried JK2 again without my autoexec.cfg in there and the jerky camera returned. :(

So i guess the modified assets5.pk3 isn't even needed to fix it, only the variables in the config.

Its not the ntfs file system that fixed it but the reinstall. You just got a clean system. As for your cfg file, sounds like you have a confilct between it and the program. Try to use the programs video options and just use your cfg for you name and controls. Sometime you can get a confilct without even knowing it. Also remove your jk2mpcfg.cfg before you restart with the new cfg file.

Good luck!

Well thing is i've formatted before and i didn't see a performance increase, but i always stuck with fat32. So switching to ntfs must have done something but did not fix the jerky camera bug. I have tried removing both the autoexec.cfg and jk2mpconfig.cfg and the jerky camera returns so it cannot be a config conflict.

I must've tried about 10 different drivers with my gf2 mx, and i've tried 3 different drivers with my radeon and the problem was apparent with all of them. And mods can't be it either because i've done a fresh install with no mods in there and its still jerky.

I'm almost 100% sure at this point that the cause is hardware related, obviously not video related but i think it must be some sort of conflict or bug between JK2 and my processor or motherboard, possibly even my ram. Cause like i say i only have these issues with JK2, every single other game works absolutely perfect.

First off make sure that you have fsaa turned off.

What's fsaa?

Antiscopic Filter

?????????????????????????????

Also, reformatting and reinstalling did *NOT* fix mine. I have reinstalled atleast 5 times, and I have reformatted my PC twice since my FPS got ****ty, and I have even gone from a GF2 to a GF4. It started on the GF2 when I installed a driver, and it's still continuing after reinstalling, reformatting, and upgrading to a GeForce 4.

So obviously it's some kind of permanent setting somewhere in the computer, or in the game or on the CD or something, and I don't see how it's possible.

(NOTE: If it's a setting on the Video or More Video options on the JK2 Menu, I've tried it. If it's a console command that could possibly fix the problem, you should let me know about it)

FSAA stands for "Full Screen Anti Aliasing", what it does is smooth out your graphics and make things look less jagged. But it also eats your video memory bigtime so its a good idea to have it off if you want high fps. Antrisopic filter is pretty similar but doesn't slow the framerate as much, that one you can turn off in the More Video options in JK2, but it will make your lightsabers look a bit crappier than with it enabled. The FSAA setting should be somewhere in display properties/settings/advanced, or you can go to http://www.guru3d.com and download the Geforce tweaker which has many video options to experiment with.

Archived