Add Capital Ships or NOT?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Add Capital Ships or NOT?

• Yes, I would like to see Capital Ships added
    • No, I don\\\'t want to see Capital Ships added

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to see alot of capital ships. Maybe in a space battle option or a mode. Maybe a space battle campaign or scenario. I still think Capital ships are buildable in a 2-D RTS game. If they went to 3-D they would have to decrease population limit from 250 units to 100 units. I wouldn't like that. I prefer 2-D RTS games. You get more hero, special, unique units as well toy box units. I would like to see Mon Calamari Star Cruisers, Esocrt Frigates, corellian corvettes, Trade Federation Droid Controlled Ship, Trade Federation Battleship, Republic Assualt Ship, Star Destroyers and Super Star Destroyers. It might be cool if they add some capital ship or regular aircraft that was first introduced in Force commander or Rebellion also.

i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!i guess he does!

Yes I do! This thread is a different thread than the previous ones! This thread is about whether or not capital ships should be added. Not all new people go back and read all threads and post. There are way too many post and threads to do that. There is no rule in here saying I can't repeat. I am trying to find new ideas and topics to talk about but until I do I will continue to talk about my old ideas to the newcomers.

That would be more logical to fire weapons like a fortress or the command center. Air Cruiser attack has a slow recharge time and it looks so fake. Replacing Aircruisers with capital ships is always a option. I am sure Lucasarts could make the civilizations that are weak in air like trade federation, confederacy, etc. cheaper to make capital ships. Make empire, rebels, republic, and wookies costly since they are powerful. Especially if empire has star destroyers and super star destroyers.

Maybe:

500 Food and 1000 Nova for Empire, Republic, and Rebel capital ships

250 Food and 750 Nova for Gungans, Confedracy, Wookies, and Naboo

Add an upgrade for Gungans, Confederacy, Wookies, and Naboo to increase building speed of capital ships maybe 15% more speed.

Make the empire, rebels, and republic have slower building time for capital ships.

Say build an army and gather resources on the planet and defend it from invading armies, then once you get enough resources advance to the space and transport your army to a fleet of ships. In order to do so, you have to get resources to build transport ships and craft to protect them.. Then you can move to the next planet to invade or gather more resources depending on how much you have. You have to invade and kill the other civilizations bases in order to win.

The Rebellion idea sounds good, problem is I don't have Rebellion, so I'm not sure what sort of combat we're talking about. My opinion is that you should be able to command the ships and stuff individually in real-time combat. I wouldn't mind moving troops and stuff in turn-based, as long as I battle in real-time. I also would like to have lots of different ships. Like

All corvettes, cor, mod cor and marauder

All stardestroyers, victory I and II Imperial I and II and super

All mc cruisers

Add some Republic and Confed ships to match the stardestroyers, Confed could use driod control ship, no idea for Republic

joesdomain:

i like your ideas. I think instead of having T1, T2, T3, etc. you could have Planet Age, Space Age, Advanced Space Age, etc. Sounds similar to AoE, but it would make sense in your idea - once you get to space age a whole lot of new technologies and units specifically suited to space combat become available...

I like the idea of a capital ship being your command center, very nice!

The biggest problem with a buildable capital ship I can see is the Gungans. Come on! The air cruiser is ridiculous enough.

But I think no to capital ships in this sort of RTS. It could work in a Rebellion type game, but they'd have to improve their 3D fights a whole lot, the space fights in Rebellion were lame. That was apparent in the fact you could just let the computer do it and it would tell you how they went.

Also Rebellion had too much EU... :)

Admiral - i agree it would be nice for LA to create an authentic Star Wars RTS, but they should at least have used the Capital Ships instead of those ugly Air Cruisers!

However, using a Capital Ship as a command centre would require quite a bit of redesign, etc. So, that would only work effectively in a totally new game environment...

why wud u have to cut it down to 100 pop limit???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? i mean look at RA2, it has tonnes of ground units and quite a few aircraft, that is 2D/3D a pure 3D game wud ruin RTS at the moment.....cos the technology isnt that good...look at EE

I voted no, mostly because you asked the wrong question. If you had asked whether I wanted to see a fleet based RTS game I would have shouted YES! YES! YES!

But do I want to see capital ships in GB or GB2? NO! NO! NO! They don't belong in this series in any way, shape, or form. The last bit of accuracy to the Star Wars universe would be stripped away.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, but strangely I've noticed that all the other "fans" keep fighting the wrong battles....

General Nilaar, I think the technology availbale isn't good enough to create a true 3D Fleet RTS game using Cap Ships, Death Star, etc. I would also like to see a fleet RTS game as i am sure many of the people who voted "Yes" would as well - but seeing as there isn't one - the next best thing would be to replace the Air Cruisers for Cap Ships from an art perspective - even if it is out of scale - who cares anyway! It would have the same balance and would just look a lot better!

Or as Kryllith suggested replace the fortresses with Cap Ships in a space-combat mode expansion or something....

Actually, you guys should all go to the SW:GB 2 thread. Cap ships won't fit with the current game, you'd need a complete overhaul of everything (including buildings and ground units) to fit with the other ships.

Everybody seems to want Air Cruisers to be displayed as canon ships. This has to be the worst idea in a long history of bad ideas, as Ian Malcolm would say. (Lost World was the best...)

All those who support canon stuff and all those who support working to scale, you're being hypocrites. Name me a ship in the movies that can participate in atmospheric combat, is smaller than a Troop Center (but... um.. Troop Centers aren't in the movies, so we'll say... about the size of an At-At). The fact is, they really don't exist. It's not a cap ship. It's an air cruiser. AIR! They're not really space cruisers. If you want to stretch the limits, in the movies they'd be about the same size as a Rebel Transport (and they weren't represented to scale in the game anyway, so nobody talk to me about accuracy!)

Air Cruisers aren't based on any canon ships. They're completely different. Sure, some of the art work is completely stupid (eg. Imp is a flying bus with a tube on the front) but changing them (eg. Imp being a Star Destroyer) is just out of scale, out of realism, out of gameplay, just plain old silly.

CorranSec, if you read all the posts in this thread then you would have noticed that the direction the Cap Ships idea is moving is to a Space-combat RTS for the very reason that they won't really fit into a ground-based war.

But, i still think the Air Cruisers could have been Cap Ships for Art reasons - some of the Air Cruisers just look silly! (Yes, i know it's not practical, but who the hell cares anyway! - It would just look good!)

CorranSec, I'm with you. Capital Ships shouldn't replace Air Cruisers. However, I also think Air Cruisers should never have been introduced. Take me back to the good old Galactic Battlegrounds unit sets before Clone Campaigns. Okay, I guess they had to introduce a new standard unit to make it interesting, but I think the air cruiser is perhaps not the best choice.

Archived