Add Capital Ships or NOT?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Add Capital Ships or NOT?

• Yes, I would like to see Capital Ships added
    • No, I don\\\'t want to see Capital Ships added

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, Kane, that sounds far too good. Imagine a fully upgraded AT-AT, yet with the mobility of an aircraft... you'd just totally crush any enemy with an army of these 'flying assault mechs.' The whole thing that balances assault mechs out is their lack of speed and agility, and turning them into flyers just eliminates this and makes them unstoppable.

What I'd rather is a kind of airborne assault craft, large and good at destroying bases, yet rather slow and not very good against units, to serve as the primary air-to-ground base destroyer, and have an Assault Transport and Armed Transport as the air transports.

Somebody on another thread proposed it this way:

You would start on a planet, moving thru tech lvls and into space. After in space, you will build cap ships and send your invasion force to another planet. Between that there is a mode switching thing.

The main problem with this idea is that it will simply take too long to finish a game.

Oooh..... 300th post... yay!

(don't mind me. Blame the monkeys).

Admiral- uh, thanks, but that mod's not for GB. It still might be interesting though. :)

Luke's dad- Yup. I don't want any kind of stretched-out, multiple-battle, grand-epic kind of game. Neither do I want the total speed and focus of the Crafts (though I do like them, I'm trying to reach a middle ground). As I've said before, its best to stick with the range of speeds and strategies the GB and Age games are renowned for.

I agree about not having huge ships in the game. I'd rather prefer the smaller cap ships (eg. light cruisers) which actually can handle atmospheric combat.

Arthur- The only real use for the VSD's atmospheric capabilities is to get in close for an accurate and deadly aerial bombardment. As this cannot be reflected in a unit, I'd rather use a VSD strike (or the like) as the "Turbolaser/Ion Cannon" strikes.

CorranSec - I'm sure i remember you saying something about flying Mechs a while ago? Are you changing your mind yet again or are you just against the Flying Assualt Mechs? I was the one who was skeptical about this idea - i'm sure it revolved around EU or something...

I am sill for Capital Ships - although i think the debate seems to be shifting to "What would be the best way to introduce Cap Ships?"

I for one can't see Cap Ships in the atmosphere (after many debates already) and therefore stick to the mode-switching idea (hopefully not a long drawn out epic-scale as some suggest)

The way i see it is that the Star Wars universe involves space-combat and ground-combat - so in order to create an accurate Star Wars RTS - this would be a logical approach - it just HOW they would do it that would matter...

but if anybody has a better idea than mode-switching - please, lets hear it???

Originally posted by MadrixTF

CorranSec - I'm sure i remember you saying something about flying Mechs a while ago? Are you changing your mind yet again or are you just against the Flying Assualt Mechs? I was the one who was skeptical about this idea - i'm sure it revolved around EU or something...

I am sill for Capital Ships - although i think the debate seems to be shifting to "What would be the best way to introduce Cap Ships?"

I for one can't see Cap Ships in the atmosphere (after many debates already) and therefore stick to the mode-switching idea (hopefully not a long drawn out epic-scale as some suggest)

The way i see it is that the Star Wars universe involves space-combat and ground-combat - so in order to create an accurate Star Wars RTS - this would be a logical approach - it just HOW they would do it that would matter...

The problem is that, WE don't want one

RTS games are not suppose to be 100% accurate, so if u want space combats

make it like Starcraft where the big ships can be shot down by marines, which is....crappy balance

but if anybody has a better idea than mode-switching - please, lets hear it???

mode-switching only happens in round-based games...

adding stuff like that will only make a RTS stink

Personally I'd like to see multi-version play. You could play a ground based game, which would take place entirely in a planet's atmosphere (or a large asteroid perhaps). Basically it would play pretty much GB plays now. Another game play style would be space conquest, which would primarily revolve around the use of capital ships, fighters, and the like. The third style would use both.

The first two version would be realitively "fast" games, better suited for multi-player because they wouldn't last so long. The second would be more of a one person game (though if you can find someone dedicated enough to play with you for long hours, I suppose you could do it multiplayer). It would actually be sort of like doing a campaign, only instead of just getting transported through space to the next part of the campaign, you'd actually have to fly, land, etc. Of course, this would require paying more attention to building detail, since certain units wouldn't operate in space and vice versa. You'd have to make sure you've not enough power to both transport/protect your units while in space, while making sure you've enough units to start planetary conquest...

Kryllith

Originally posted by CorranSec

Admiral- uh, thanks, but that mod's not for GB. It still might be interesting though. :)

I know that. But it is for people who want SW capital ships. You download Armada II demo, then get the mod and you have a stragety game with the ships. Since more then likely Capital ships will never be in GB.

Madrix- Ah, I was waiting for you to show up. :)

I did propose a kind of flying mech, but it eventually turned into an airborne turret, and it was NEVER like this amazingly powerful flying assault mech.

I have a better idea. It involves using a variety of spaceships, separated into three groups: Fighters, Medium ships, and Capital ships. The fighters and medium ships we should all understand; the cap ships, however, will NOT be the astoundingly large SD's and the like; rather, they will be smaller ships, yet still considered cap ships, and balanced and fitting in with the game. These cap ships might include Lancer-class frigates (I think that's their name) and light cruisers.

Also, I agree with Arthur. We don't want an "accurate" SW RTS. Accuracy is good, but gameplay>realism should be our philosophy. But Sith will NOT be the head of our religion.... I've had bad experiences with him trying to handle religion :D

The larger ships of SW can be reflected in the way I described above without having to resort to a completely different kind of game.

Arthur- agreed.

This goes for everyone- Keep the game the way it is, at least in terms of mode. GB is not a round-based, mode-switching, epic-battle game; neither is it a small-battle, focussed game. Keep it the balanced way it is, and if you want, make StarWarsCraft or Rebellion II. But we're not talking about them here.

Kryllith i like your ideas and see your point about mode-switching being more a single player type of game. Seing as how i hardly ever play multiplayer online, i was taking the single player view point.

However, that said, clearly the future of gaming is ONLINE Multiplayer so we would have to find either a middle-ground or LA would have to have some brilliant design that allows you to mode-switch quickly and easily, contolling space and ground combat. This would probably be a difficult type of game to play and require a lot of concentration, but if you think about it - isn't that what we do already when switching between managing Econ and managing war?

In this Space and ground combat it probably would be a good idea to remove Econ altogether and focus on War and strategy instead - using space-combat instead of Econ management...

Archived