Home

1.02 stances

C'jais

I recently got the chance to play the unpatched version of jk2 again - and I thought I'd start up a botmatch, just to check out how the old stances worked...

Here's my evaluation:

The upped damage is good, as long as you can adjust to it - the length of the matches are more personal preference than anything IMHO. While some might say that the increased damage makes fights more intense, I did not find it so - they were just shorter, and that's it.

-Okay, now for the stances themselves:

Blue and yellow stance are very much alike - maybe not damage-wise - but certainly in their drunken crazy spins and slashes. The style of the swings look very much alike to tavion and desann's stances. The stances lack control in to an alarming degree - when I wanted to do a swing, I always ended up doing a lazy looking spin. The blue and yellow stance are so similar in "control" that I see no reason in using blue since yellow gives so much more damage.

Well, I've always regarded red stance in 1.03/4 as being a bit cheesy, but it was *nothing* compared to the überness of the 1.02 stance: frequent one-hit-kills with the regular swings and a DFA that is so easy to hit with, that I found myself using it more than the normal swings. Oh, and even if I found the lack of chainability in yellow/blue stance hideous, it's really nothing compared to the sleep-inducing one hit repeat ad nauseum red stance.

The current stances are so much more refined and better controlled that I simply can't see the point in going back... well, red players may have another opinion :barf:

Well then, what do you 1.02 lovers find so attractive in the old stances?

Originally posted by ArtifeX

you should take a look at my old strategy guides on 1.02 and 1.03. I go into a lot of depth on some of the stuff you mention here. here's the url:

http://www.oculis.org/asc/guides/saberguide_102.html

there's a force guide and saber guide for 1.02 and 1.03. there's no 1.04 guide because 1.04 pissed me off enough to write ProMod.

:D

I see this guide and the information on the specials reveals a great deal of respect for the normal slashes - hell, it seems it was even better to do a normal swing when close, than a lunge (something that's usually not clever now).

I know this is a moot point I'm trying to make, since there aren't many 1.02 players left. I'm just a bit tired of hearing about how glorious the old stances were, in comparison to the new and improved ones. Keep in mind that I'm not bitchin' about how some people hate the lower damage, as I find that a bit slow too.

It's just the stances in 1.02 that are "teh suck".

hehe different people have different preferences, i bet a lot of ppl got disappointed when they cant backstab all day anymore (well they can but just wont get the kills)

the current patch is 1.04, so i guess most ppl play that. However, there are also many server with jedimod and promod running, so get those 2 mods as well.

Archived