Home

wip: watto model

hansmoleman

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thx madjai for the pic when u said thinner i thought profile thin not WIDE :) anyway i changed that much on him today, too busy to do anything else, im a little behind in my classes so i wanna catch up before i end up shooting myself in the foot.

about the wings, honestly i havent thought about it at all but i would like to make them work. however i know nothing on shaders since i never had any interest in making them. so untill i learn more im not doing anything (no 2nd wings yet).

watto's pol count is just under 3000 last time i checked, but im planning on reducing it at least to 2500 if not more.

hansmoleman,

Watto is looking much better! Good job! :D

Now as far as getting the wings to ‘animate’, (please somebody help me out here if I'm wrong, I'm not really a modeler) but I think you'll need two separate sets of wings, one set in an up position (like you have them) and one set in a down position. Then when you skin them, you can use a shader that will make each wing sort of ‘appear’ and ‘disappear’, in an alternating pattern so that it gives the wings the effect of moving.

Padawan_7

thx Anakin-Davin for the tips,

i really dont have the interest in posting the uv unwrapping work i've done today, cuz thats all i really did, and made another set of wings.

the sad thing is that i will not be able to work on this guy as much as i have in the past. hockey season has begun today and I have practices almost everyday and games everyweek.

the good news is that our team r0x0rs and i pwnz0r in our leage (sry if i sound arrogant :) ) we just won 8 to 4 against another high school, so the season will be fun.

edit:wow that was useless, its funny cuz noone cares :D

yes im planning to make him float, unfortunately he will have to be scaled to fit the skeleton so hell be unusually big.

the feet i think ill just name them as attachments to the torso and have no hips or actual feet, similar to Madjai's Maw model. I think thats how you did it right Madjai?

just have the hips include all of the legs and when you weight the hips have it all weighted to the pelvis with a little something else to the legs so they arent completely motionless.

what i did for Maw was create single poly legs so i could still set up the tags/heirarchy and i used a .surf to make them invisible.

so what youll probably want to do is have him fit the skeleton the proper way and have the legs bent so they dont extend all the way to the ground. then youll need to figure out what size he should be resized to, like yoda&jawa, for those resize mods.

so itll look like hes flying around, he just wont be flyin very high up.

just to give u a quick peek as to what i was toying with i've posted some screens of a render i did with a skin i made in 5 mins. it is NOT final or even barely a starter skin, im just testing my uv unwrapping and thought id show yall. when u look at it pretend the arms & legs arent there :) , thyre not done yet.

making wattos wings to flap shouldnt be too difficult if you know how to work shaders.

just make the wing texture blurry and slightly see-through and alternate very fast between the two.

and yes, Maw looks like hes floating because he lacks legs.

making wattos wings to flap shouldnt be too difficult if you know how to work shaders.

true to only problem is that i dont know how to work shaders, is this effect achieved with 3ds max or do use use some other tool to do it. As i have said before i have never done or planned on doing shaders before so ill need a little more instructions on how to do it.

Archived