Home

What does "server is for lower pings" translate to?

lionknight

If you cannot connect to a low-ping server, then you need to get a faster connection to play on that server. A lot of servers don't have the low-ping requirement, though.

DSL, cable, and other broadband services will allow you to access more low ping servers, but not necessarily all of them, depending on your location, the location of the server, whether there are other users on in your community (cable), and other factors. But broadband is highly recommended for game with the Q3 netcode.

Yup, ping depends on location, connection, (and if you're on cable) how many people are on in your zone. Here's what I have:

Cable

400k (kilobits per second) down

128k up

(yeah, it's about the slowest cable you can get, but I am not the one paying for it)

In JKII, I ping around 70-120ms to most servers. Some I get awesome pings (20-50ms). So, because of my location, I may not be able to play on a low ping server out on the West coast, but I could play on one on the East coast.

It's a special 56K modem that has a gaming mode, which you can switch on and off.

When turned on, it only recieves those signals necessary to play a game online, which greatly improved performance. When you want to surf the net, you just disable the gaming mode.

Mine is made by US Robotics. It was about $60.

Since DSL or cable is not available in my area, buying one was the best solution for my needs.

Archived