Home

Getting started in making hobby-level games

Skib

I know of AGS and RPG2000, but are there other "game creation" programs around? I'm interested in making a game, probably not an adventure game, definitly not an RPG, but most likely something along the lines of Super Mario Bros. I Don't know C or C++ or C#. But I have an idea of how programming languages work since i'm pretty proficient in HTML and Javascript, and have fooled around with making BASIC games on my TI-83+. I know I'm not going to download something, sit down, and bang out the next Counter-Strike and i'm willing to learn a program's scripting language. What next?

I'd go with clickteam too.

Games Factory is waaaay too old though, I don't think they'll even sell it anymore. They offer two great products called MultiMedia Fusion and Jamagic.

MultiMedia Fusion is an event-based system (like Games Factory) which means that you can make a game on pre-defined events (e.g. when object X <collides> with object Y then do <action>) which you can alter and link together just with a simple mouseclick. It's quite flexible and you can almost make any game with it.

Jamagic is a scripting language. It's syntax is very close to JavaScript. Of course Jamagic is a bit more powerful and flexible than MultiMedia Fusion.

Clickteam's website

--Erwin

Archived