Home

assimilate prob!

Charmin Deluxe

• 4 weeks later...

here's solutions i've collected from others' posts

Here's a tip for those who have been getting that delightfull assimilate error "vert x not weighted", and then have trouble finding vert x on their complex mesh: select the mesh with the vertex (the assimilate error msg will give you that) type "setVertSelection $ #(x)" in the white box on the left hand bottom corner of your 3dsmax screen (the maxscript listener box), replacing x with the vertex number, and press enter. That troublesome vertex is now selected. Just to warn you if you havn't UVW mapped it yet, colapsing the mesh will destroy the weighting.

one easy way I find to see which vert is not weighted: double click on the Pelvis bone to choose all bones in the mesh, then move the mesh horizontally. All verts unassigned will remain in place. Remember to undo any movements you make. This will easily show up for any verts you have not weighted, especially if you move the mesh a fair distance sideways.

from the screen shot you provided, it's clear that the torso is not weighed.

It is not enough to just add the bones under the skin modifier, you need to weigh the vertex to the bones. you can do this by following the spacemonkey tutorial, or select a vertice while you have selected a certain bone, and enter the weight amount into the "absolute weight" section. I strongly suggest you do NOT use the envelopes for weighing as you will go nuts later on when you try to fix the weighing.

If the skin is blue when you select a bone, it means it is NOT wieghed. Wieghts show up as colors ranging from light yellow to dark red.

yes you do, a bolt is a triangle so it has only three verts. you weigh it just like any other mesh. select it, add a skin modifier , add a bone, weigh the verts.

most people weigh allmost all the tags to one bone. I would suggest against this.

Do not forget to weigh the right hand bolt to the right hand bone and the left hand tag to the mc_something bone, otherwise your model won't swing the saber right.

there is a skeleton with all the tags allready wieghed that is lying deep down in this thread. I would suggest you look it up by reading the threads in the reverse order and just use that skeleton and weigh your mesh to it. It might end up saving you a lot of time.

ok yeah im sure i weighted everything now ( no error comes *G*) but how do i assimilate it now right? i heard something about first to add the root.xsi .. or add the humanoid.gla :confused: but what do i have to do now? when i try to assimilate it with the humanoid.gla method this comes ->

huamoid method part 1

and at the end ->

huamoid method part 2

NO GLM FILE :mad:

and when i try to assimilate with the root.xsi method this comes ->

root method

NO GLM FILE TOO!

what's wrong o.O

ok i did the following ->

i saved my model in C:\base\models\players\test\root.xsi

my car file is in C:\base\models\players\test\model.car

$aseanimgrabinit

$aseanimgrab_gla models/players/_humanoid/_humanoid.gla

$aseanimgrabfinalize

$aseanimconvertmdx_noask models/players/test/root

i opened assimilate ( C:\base\tools\assimilate.exe ) preferences are:

Enum File: c:/base/tools/gamesource/anims.h

Compiler: c:/base/tools/carcass.exe

Quakedir: c:/base/

Multi player on

ok i opened my car file and pressed B ... he began to compile but its the same like the humanoid method :(

I always save in:

...models\players\_humanoid

and put carcass.exe in there too. Next i just ADD humanoid in assimilate and press b.

Do not compile using a loaded .car file, click new then add the gla file and then you build. It will ask to save the .car file, save that in /_humanoid.

the compiler line in assimilate is of course:

base/models/players/_humanoid/carcass.exe

That's what i do and it works fine.

it works fine if your xsi is anywhere in the base dir and the car file associated with it has the correct pointers to it. you can launch assimilate by running the car file for the model and it will assimilate a glm for the specified xsi in the same folder.

I think charmins problem is still rooted in steps before asimilation. If you look at his mesh names, especially the caps, they are named wrong. It seems you lost a lot of the names of the mesh. Did you initially load this mesh into milkshape? I had something similar to this happen when I moved a model from milkshape into max. The mesh names were cut off after a certain point.

Your caps need to be named in the same fashion as the spacemonkey tutorial. meaning torso_cap_arms_off etc etc. Looks like your mesh names are not named properly.

Also, you did set up the hierarchy as in the spacemonkey tutorial right? Did you also import back the xsi you exported to see if you had any xfor errors before moving onto assimilate?

Archived