Home

Put away JK2 for a while to play SOF2. No longer hoping for an expansion pack / JK3!

Bird Of Prey!

After playing Jedi Outcast online for nearly 5 months, I began to grow bored of it. The number of servers started to diminish, the number of mods / skins started to decline, and it became tougher to find servers that were not "Duel" or "Saber Only."

So I purchased Soldier Of Fortune 2 and have played it online for a week or two. It wasn't long before I found myself missing JK2 for many reasons. In addition, I used to hope for an expansion pack or the release of JK3 but I've changed my mind if Raven and/or Activision are involved!

Why the sudden change of feelings??

The main reason relates to a program called "PunkBuster" which Activision has decided to put in the latest update to SOF2. This program was designed to curtail cheating. However, it also kicks any user, with a duplicate CD Key, off of a "PunkBuster" server. I do not promote cheating / pirating and have never used cheats to win a game. On the other hand, my wife and I both enjoy playing online and I will admit that she uses a CD copy of the game to play from her PC. We paid for one copy of the game and I do not think that we should have to pay an additional $40.00 for a second copy. Any expansion pack or newer version, released by Activision, would probably include this Program.

In addition, there is no way to add bots in SOF2. Bots are fun, and provide good practice, when there are few players joining our server. Raven has stated that they will not add Bot support to SOF2.

My next reason relates to the lack of skins and mods available for SOF2. Skins and mods add character and a new experience to the game. One of the reasons that my interest in JK2 has lasted so long relates to the new Skins, Maps, and Mods. SOF2 has been out as long as JK2 has and there are a very limited number of Maps, Skins, and Mods.

Finally, there is the issue of lag. SOF2 recommends that the user play an online, MP, game in 640 by 480 with little "eye candy." When I tried playing in 800 by 600 mode, with a few of the special FX turned on, I experienced big time lag and I'm using a Cable Modem. I can play JK2 in 800 by 600, with most video settings at medium or high, and I experience no lag at all.

Feels good to be home!!

another big problem may be that SOF2 (single and multi) are crap...single player, they have no way to keep good AI, so they shoot you if you go off course...cause thats really solid...the multiplayer is the same thing on each map...you find one strategy that works, you repeat it enternally...I am extreamly thankful that i borrowed the game first...JK2 is god compared to it

-Space Monkey §ß

Originally posted by Rad Blackrose

They thought they would contain cheating, but myg0t got around it no problem with newer versions of OGC.

Hey Rad, "OGC??" What is OGC? :confused:

As a side note, before the anti-copying members start flaming me, I do own two legal copies of JK2: Outcast but only because I had to have the cool Lightsaber Keychain. The one that was included with the JK2: Outcast Special Edition! :saberb:

Archived