Home

Snipers

OOM-9(2)

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made this suggestion a while back when in relation to making hvy troopers and repeater troopers seperate units (instead of the latter just being the upgrade of the former). I had the Sniper as the alternate upgrade for the hvy trooper. It would have the slower rate of fire (compared to the repeater) but better range and higher damage (precision shots). Of course they could keep both the hvy and repeater and just make the sniper a third unit. Rate of fire would be slower than the hvys, and it would very little in the way of armour. In addition to the extended range/damage, it might have stealth capabilities.

Kryllith

Of course they should be more expensive. U can't just build an army of snipers!!!!!!

BTW I don't think u understood me. I meant that although commoandoes take out troopers with one shot, they have to be right up to buildings to destroy them.

Now something that could do that from a distance, that would be unbalanced.

I think there are problems with this unit idea. I too have thought of this, and you made it seem possible. But it seems like too many things kill troopers. I know that troopers are too overwhelm to kill, but there are too many units good against troop center units in my opinion. Strikes are effective against all, mech destroyers are good against the standard (not the others), assaults--varied--outnumbered by mounties they may lose. Frigates are good vs. troop center units

All aircraft is good against tc units. destroyer droids, beserkers, royal crusaders, dark troopers, and the air uu's of course are all extremely effective against troopers.

And the sniper idea seems to make battles even shorter--repeaters kill each other fast enough.

I was just voicing possible drawbacks, still, if this idea could be balanced, it would be interesting.

Maybe it could be used effectively against some obscure units, killing them in one shot. Like medics, power droids, cargo hovercrafts, and maybe workers and utility trawlers.

RoN=Rise of Nations

I think the original idea was better. Not a one hit kill, but high damage vs. human units from very far away. Like longbows in AoK. But more expensive and accurate. And very slow attack rate.

Allied, troops are the main unit in the game. I've won games with no mechs, and no jedi, and even no heavies, but never with no troopers. There is almost a guarantee that the enemy will use troopers. And troopers are meant to overpower with numbers, and numbers require counters not just brute strength.

Yes, troopers are widely used, but sometimes they are useless vs. some tactics. My enemy must have been disapointed when i wiped out large formations of repeater troopers and hvy. anti-air with one air cruiser shot. I sometimes don't use troops, just concentrate on elite units. (maybe this has something to do with the fact while i lose carbon and food collection high, i always win nova).

So this trooper unit is anti-trooper? I guess kind of like the repeater, except it beats repeaters. If it was exspensive, i can see this unit working.

One question- are we talking about GB 1 or GB 2?

If it's GB 1, I say most likely no. It would probably play havoc with the carefully crafted game balance, and cause all sorts of problems.

But for GB 2, I think this is a distinct possibility.

Snipers might be unique to a civ or three, or they could become a kind of 'bounty hunter-esque' unit (available to every civ with same stats). They could have a cloaking ability, reflecting the way snipers hide from sight. They would have extremely long range and only be able to attack ground units. They should probably be an anti-trooper unit; it's only common sense that snipers shouldn't be fantastic against tanks, buildings etc.

Now, I hear what everyone's saying about there being too many anti-trooper units, but let's think here people! There indeed may not be so many anti-trooper units in GB 2. In fact, that seems a distinct possibility.

So let's keep the options open, shall we?

Well lets face it they should be everything they were in Red Alert 2. I loved the snipers with that game, a couple of them could hold off an infantry rush entirely. And their range was so phenomenal. However, I don't think they should be cloaked, as that might make them really powerful. I think they should be like this:

You know how when an enemy unit attacks from out of your line of sight, they become revealed? Even if they are in unexplored terrain? Maybe a sniper wouldn't do this. So if he shot you from out of your line of sight, you wouldn't know what hit you. But if you were close enough to spot him, he could be taken out easily.

Archived