Home

War Of The Worlds

Darth Groovy

For all of you new kids that may not know War of the Worlds is a story about aliens from mars who invade the earth to rob it's natuaral rescources. I realize this may seem trite and played out, because many films and books have stolen this idea time and time again. (most recently ID4). The book was first written by HG Wells and published in 1898 . In 1938 , actor Orson Wells broadcasted a faux news broadcast depicting the events in Well's book as if he were viewing it as it happened from a first person point of view. The report was so convincing that mass hysteria was created as that people who heard the broadcast were convinced that we were in fact being invaded by "martians". In 1953 Goerge Pal produced what is in my own opinion one of the greatest Science Fiction Movies ever made. The film is fast paced and scary as hell. The film has a big budget feel on epic proportions that seldom worked for movies that involved "flying saucers". The Martian machines of descrution in the book were very tall spider like walkers that leveled monuments and landmarks in seconds and simply stepped over the rubble. The Goerge Pal movie used Flying Saucers to coincide with the fear and reports of "flying saucers" at the time, and for the most part still works today. Now coming soon Pendragon Pictures is releasing a new film based on the classic H.G. Wells novell. I am really getting exited about this release and am keeping a very close eye on this as it developes. Like Spiderman, there was a conflict with a scene involving the World Trade Center and the script is being reworked. As far As I know a release date has not been set, but it sounds as if things are coming along just fine. I will post more when I learn more, in the meantime, check out this concept poster!

Wotwkey.jpg

ID4 was not based on War of the Worlds, it was based on the War against the Indians:

The natives who greet the people who are going to destroy them, the futile attempts to drive off the invaders, the invaders' massacres of the natives who welcome them, the description of the invaders ("they are like a plague of bugs, destroying one world then moving on to the next"... -a good description of Exploration-age Europeans)..

I remember hearing how people started fleeing NYC when they broadcasted that stuff the first time.. :)

It's unfair to say that cause you could make associations to anything. Anything. If I thought for longer than I am now I could say ID4 was actually based on a documentary story about a chicken processing plant gone wrong.

But I hope War of The Worlds is good, I love the book, and I always listen to it on Halloween night (talk radio airs the original airing nonstop Halloween evening at least where I live) It's a good story, that can be a good movie if they don't mess with it.

War of The Worlds:

1. Guys greet first alien ship with white flag, they get destroyed.

2. Allied forces retalient with heavy firepower only to see it bounce off the forcefields.

3. Alien ships destroy key landmarks and level buildings in seconds.

4. Aliens nearly destroy the planet only to die of common viruses that humans have become immune too.

ID4:

1. Guys in peace chopper are blown from the sky.

2. Allied forces retalient with heavy firepower only to see it bounce off the forcefields.

3. Alien ships destroy key landmarks and level buildings in seconds. (Captiol building)

4. Aliens are destroyed with a "cold" or a virus uploaded to the mothership.

4. Aliens nearly destroy the planet only to die of common viruses that humans have become immune too.

ID4:

3. Alien ships destroy key landmarks and level buildings in seconds. (Captiol building)

To further support my own point:

Indians:

1. Indians give whites some land, whites take over the whole freaking continent.

2. Indians retaliate with cavalry, bows, and spears only to be killed by automatic guns.

3. Indian villages were burned in seconds.

4. Indians die from viruses the white brought along. Same as ID4, just reversed a bit. That, and the whites died from deceases the Indians had, too..:p

Concept: Peaceful nation invaded by numerically superior beings who take over the whole crap.

Irony: Descents of the numerically superior beings (descendants of Europeans in the USA) make movies with the same concept, only with the numerically superior beings as the bad guys ;). Sort of like aliens taking over the world and making a movie about their new planet being invaded by aliens, while humans suffer in the concentration camps of the first invasion :D.

Now that I think aboiut the relation between war and ID4, it si strikingly similar, very good point proven.

Now to prove my point that you can't say aomething represents something (e.g. colonization forcing the removal of native americans from their land, even though this in no way resembles the way the plot in War of the Worlds went except for the invasion part) unless the author themselves says so and call them accurate, cause you can make a representation about anything.

1. Chickens come to farmers for food, farmers take them to be processed.

2. Chickens ppeck the farmers, farmers just pick them up and carry them away.

3. Chicken coop totally re-arranged by farmer who wants to stuff more of em in there.

4. Diseases from the chickens infect all the people who eat their eggs.

See you can make a representation of even the stupidest of things, and I'm sure someone could think of an even dumber one. So making your own representations about things, is pretty pointless, if representations are there they'll show themselves pretty obviously, like in Animal Farm if you've ever read that.

That's my rant of the day, who can make a dumber representation of War of The Worlds?

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

War of The Worlds:

ID4:

And lets all not forget the movie Mars Attacks

1. Human race peace cermony people are blown away

2. Humans are not powerful enough to stop the alien attack or their ships

3. Alien super weapons level cities in seconds

4. Aliens blow up due to the diesese of listening to bad country music which humans are inmune.

Yeah, this movie did suck.

Archived